3d printed Holy Grail Cup

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Was looking to buy one of these but then thought I have a 3d printer, why not print one?! So checked Thingiverse and sure enough found one. It printed well and is close to the film dimensions. Took about eighteen hours. Waiting for the weather to cool down then will sand and paint it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180805_223239.jpg
    IMG_20180805_223239.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20180805_223316.jpg
    IMG_20180805_223316.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 321
That looks pretty close, but I'm no expert. I'm surprised at some of the stuff you can find on Thingiverse, but it may not be accurate. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

TazMan2000

Well it has the right shape and it only cost a few cents worth of plastic. Anyone have any suggestions on what colors or paint type for this?

I've printed and built that print before. Nice simple shape that was fun to build and turned out well :)

I printed mine in "shell" mode and filled the parts with resin for extra weight. Then used XTC-3d epoxy coat (this is one print where the epoxy's tendency to fill in detail is not a concern), followed up by light sanding and some heavy coats of Dupli-color filler primer (red-brown color). The filler primer is a nice clay color and will smooth out what print lines and sanding scuffs remain.

It was a relaxing build since the surface didn't need to be perfect - it's *supposed* to be a little rough.

You can find gold leaf, fixative, and varnish at Michael's craft stores. I also sprayed gloss clear into the cup since that seemed to remain fully leafed and shiny in the film.

'Tis will be fun watching come together as I am a big fantasy fan (king Arthur and the knights of the round table included) :). I've never seen the movie though, only read the book. Is the movie good/anything like the book?

Well it has the right shape and it only cost a few cents worth of plastic. Anyone have any suggestions on what colors or paint type for this?

Red primer and gold mirror effect gilding leaves works really well.

grail.jpg
Thats mine, which I'm sure is the same model, next to the pic from one of the LFL visual books. I wouldn't bother trying to sand the model, it's a ball acher, I would fill and sand back. Dolphin Glaze filler is great for models like this, sands like a dream.

Well I'm no stranger sanding things....( Check out my
Bowcaster thread) lol. I'm thinking it won't take long given the shape.

It's way easier to sand back a thin layer of glaze filler than to smooth PLA, I only ever sand the model directly to just knock off a few warts and things. Why spend a day doing something you can finish in an hour with better results?

This looks nice, I’ve been sculpting my grail cups for about 2 1/2 months now off-and on.. on v3 currently.. clay takes a little longer than 3-d printing i suppose ;)

Hi all.
Trying to finish up some projects and have gotten back to this. Used light coat of bondo gold then sanding. Red brown primer wet sanded then sprayed again. Finally gold paint. Don't have gold leaf. Just trying it out. Gonna give it a wash with very thin grey arcrylic and see how that looks.IMG_20190602_142852.jpg

I might try and make my own one of these. But tbh when i read Holy grail cup, I was thinking the big gold one the other guy drinks. I guess i would choose poorly lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back