3d Printable Vader Helmet File

The files are printing nicely! :thumbsup

Have to do some cutting and shaping of the corners where some of the pieces meet as there is some over lap. The worst is in the very from where the nose grill meets the Triangle grill pieces. The meshes need to be modified so they fit together nicely

I guess that is the only downside to us amateurs putting these files together is that there is a whole lot of trail and error.

vADER hELMET 19 pARTS.pngJust Finished the dome Separated it into 19 parts. Hopefully i will have it ready for someone to print soon. Let me know if someone want to be the guninne pig and try and print this first and i can email you the files when they are done.

What size build area would you need to print the parts? The one I'm getting will be right at 8" x 8" but I figure it's going to take me at least a week to get it set up and printing well no matter how much easier this Simplify3D program is supposed to make things.

What size build area would you need to print the parts? The one I'm getting will be right at 8" x 8" but I figure it's going to take me at least a week to get it set up and printing well no matter how much easier this Simplify3D program is supposed to make things.

For the dome it shouldn't be a problem all of the pieces should be smaller then that you will need to add support to some of it. For the Face i think i would fit in a 8x8 that's kinda what i had in mind but we will have to try it and see.i am working on the wall thickness now. i am uploading the models to shapeways to see if it passes there tests and so far it keeps finding very small areas that are a hair too thin for them. but i would think a home printer would be fine but i am not shore i don't have one.

For the dome it shouldn't be a problem all of the pieces should be smaller then that you will need to add support to some of it. For the Face i think i would fit in a 8x8 that's kinda what i had in mind but we will have to try it and see.i am working on the wall thickness now. i am uploading the models to shapeways to see if it passes there tests and so far it keeps finding very small areas that are a hair too thin for them. but i would think a home printer would be fine but i am not shore i don't have one.

The same thing has happened with just about everything I've put in shapeways unless I select the frosted fine detail, but that would get way too expensive to print a helmet from. Once I get mine up and running I don't care to try and print a few pieces of it to see how it turns out. I need to look up who a quality supplier of PLA is and get some of it on order as well I guess. My printer comes with some but I don't figure it'll be the best quality stuff.

A few notes from what I have learned so far RE 3D printing...
1. Have your printer 100% dialed in and printing dimensionally accurate before you start your helmet/project.
2. ABS doesnt work so well for large curved pieces.
3. Make sure the frame of your printer is well supported and secured.
4. Slow and steady will make you happier then fast and dirty.

So after all that here are a few more pics of pieces I have assembled.2A2902D1-8449-4C63-8C64-8C7A9167BEBD.jpg25E92533-66E6-402A-8D1F-267F91BA14B0.jpg763C98C7-E71B-4BBC-8E74-80242A64DAAE.jpg8734F185-A098-4CF7-8FBD-F272C887A5C3.jpg

A few notes from what I have learned so far RE 3D printing...
1. Have your printer 100% dialed in and printing dimensionally accurate before you start your helmet/project.
2. ABS doesnt work so well for large curved pieces.
3. Make sure the frame of your printer is well supported and secured.
4. Slow and steady will make you happier then fast and dirty.

So after all that here are a few more pics of pieces I have assembled.View attachment 577834View attachment 577835View attachment 577836View attachment 577837[/Q

Looks great dude. are you going to sand and smooth it after you put the helmet together or is this a sample printing to make shore all of the pieces fit together ?

Those pieces look good, do you have a particular brand PLA you recommend using? Got my printer in about an hour ago and it came with a small sample but I'll have to get some on order soon.

I am using MG Chemicals PLA.. It is printing very nicely. I got it off Amazon. I think it was $26 CAD for 2lb.

I have started to sand and prep what I have glued together... I cannot wait till my replacement parts arrive to get printing again.

I've got some Hatchbox PLA coming in today that I'm going to use for some Millennium Falcon parts but if it works well I'll order a spool of it in black as well.

Let us know how that hatchbox works. I have seen it as well and this price is interesting. I went with MG cuz the ratings on Amazon were better.

Just an update on the Hatchbox, it's working well I've been printing some small detailed parts for my Millennium Falcon model and it's handled well. For some reason I am having trouble with my third layer when printing rafts but I think it's a temp setting. I'll fool with it sometime, for now I don't have much need to use a raft with what I'm printing.

Thanks for the files, I'll download them and put them on my to-do list when I get home. The sites acting a little odd so I'm not risking anything at work.

Off topic but I did manage to get a good print of one of the parts of a stormtrooper helmet I downloaded last night.

MflUlxMl.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back