27" bird of prey

leplante

Does anyone here have any experience with the 27" bird of prey offered by Warp models. I came across some pics of a build up. From the pics it looks great but I wanted to see if there were some opinions out there. Also, does anyone know the best place to get your hands on one of these. All help and info greatly appreciated. If this is not studio scale I apologize.

I never had heard of this myself but I do love that ship so I went looking. I still do not know about the quality but Federation models sells the kit. A little spendy, but not bad for good quality.:)

I never had heard of this myself but I do love that ship so I went looking. I still do not know about the quality but Federation models sells the kit. A little spendy, but not bad for good quality.:)

Thank you, I agree if that is a quality kit that price seems reasonable.

They (FM) seem to think it is a really good kit, with nice detail - of course they are selling it, but they don't make that claim about everything. It does look good to me. I would like to figure out what scale that would be - but I have always been bad at that.:redface

I have searched and searched for pics and info on the studio model that was used, but I really haven't found much.

Check out thomasmodels.com. He does a buildup of the 27" bird of prey that shows the good and bad sides of the model.

Thanks! I should have thought to look at your site, TM.
Now I really want one, I guess I will add it to the list.
That is the biggest one made correct? I would hate to buy it, and find an even larger scale.
Speaking of scale, any idea what scale this one is :confused

Indeed... Thomas did beautiful work on that beastie!

I bought one of these a few years ago and have yet to have it built. I understand it is made from a different material that is less enjoyed in the hobby and can be more hazardous to ones health if inhailed. I am not sure what it is called, but it is hard and feels like it would break like a plate if dropped even though it probably would not.

That said,.. and looking at the kit I was sent, I can tell you that cleanup is a definite must. I can only assume that a respirator would probably be necessary since I don't build anything myself.

I would indeed eventually love to have it built with lights and Coby's killer moving wing baffles! :D

I understand it is made from a different material that is less enjoyed in the hobby and can be more hazardous to ones health if inhailed.

Yeah the stuff is GRP (Glass reienforced plastic). I've heard a lot of complaints about the material. Every time I look at Thomas' build I want to get a kit.

I have the kit, in the process of building it. The "glass reinforced plastic" is actually a polyester/glass resin. You must wear a mask when sanding! Akin to asbestosis if it gets in your lungs. Brittle, tough to sand.....take your time. some of the detail is marginal....I got mine a long time ago.....hopefully they changed resin, and upgraded the molds......still.....at 27" it is the only game in town. Get it! just use patience when building.

I think if I were to get one, with how much people are talking about how bad the stuff is, I'd recast a clear resin one for MY OWN use. maybe make it look like it was going into cloak or something.

It sure is an impressive kit. I have a builtup done by someone else, so I can't comment on how it's put together, but the end result is really nice. And very sturdy - have it for a couple of years and no sign of sagging (and it IS heavy)

Tobias

Yeah just where I really have nowhere to work on one where there's no animals or anything, I'd rather make a clean cast and not worry about harming my pets.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back