22" Neca Alien mods & repaint with bespoke base

Dave Vader

HI

I have decided to add a good size Alien statue to my cinema room and therefore purchased a second hand NECA 1/4 scale figure off ebay.

The figure was in decent shape, very dirty with some slight damage but overall fine for my purposes. The mods will be some new sculpting, getting rid of any ratchet type joints, removal of seem lines, metal coated teeth/nails, complete repaint and bespoke base.

I started by removing the dome, splitting it in to pieces to make the sculpting and painting easier. I have stripped off the paint from the dome, spent some time cleaning and shaping the teeth and generally tidying up the head. I have covered with a coat of primer which highlights a few other defects which will be sorted in due course.

I have now reshaped the hands to give a more sinister appearance in the pose, these will be concluded by sculpting to the arm and then covered with primer.

The dome removed but very dirty!

1.jpg

First Job was to split it up in to manageable parts

4.jpg3.jpg

The first area to attack was the head, so I decided to smooth and define the teeth

7.jpg8.jpg

Once done I gave it a coat of primer, joined to the main body of the head after sculpting the gaps

9.jpg10.jpg

I am not entirely sure which Xeno I am going to do but I removed the dirt and paint on the dome so I have a blank canvas!

2.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

My current job is the hands. I wanted them to have a different feel and pose to the standard NECA ones so I have split them open and closed one hand whilst opening the other. The nails will be smoothed and coated (like the teeth) in metal adhesive.
11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

I will be sculpting the wrists and cleaning up the joints today so will update once I have something more to add.

Thanks for your interest

Last edited:
A bit more progress as I sort the pose, sculpt the joints and seem lines.

I have given parts a light shot of primer to show up the defects, but it's starting to come together.

The tail is going to take up a lot of time getting rid of the slippage and seam lines!!

16.jpg

Sculpted over the ratchet joints:

19.jpg

Shot with some primer to see where I need to tidy up
17.jpg

I then placed the head and took a shot with the open hands, looks just how I wanted it!
18.jpg

I'll carry on with filling the gaps and post up with more progress soon.

Thanks

Finally managed to tidy the sculpt and allow for a god blast of primer.

I can still see some defects so will carry on improving but next will be the lower torso.
20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg

I'm still undecided if I should go with the full dome or replicate the Xenomorph with only the front dome and sculpt the rest of the bone structure?? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Many thanks, still lots to do but it's primed now to show up the rough edges and rough sculpt, so will tidy and prime again when done, but she is coming on now

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    994.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 291
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 278
Thanks matey, I wanted the pose to be aggressive and I think it kind of captures that. Lots to do and I need a decent base!!!
Necaalien.jpgI have my 1/4 scale alien on pre-order and should be here soon. I am going to be replicating a Nostromo corridor like the one in the picture. It's a pretty easy build but the only think I am struggling to source is a somewhat accurate perforated metal sheet for the floor. What were you thinking of using for the base?

View attachment 500234I have my 1/4 scale alien on pre-order and should be here soon. I am going to be replicating a Nostromo corridor like the one in the picture. It's a pretty easy build but the only think I am struggling to source is a somewhat accurate perforated metal sheet for the floor. What were you thinking of using for the base?

Hi

That is going to look fantastic. I have decided to have it stood on two large fan ducts with some industrial piping etc.

Getting on with the base now, it did not look right with the ducts so decided to have a 1/4 scale egg in front of him with all the worms/slugs etc. The egg ill be lit up bt requis lot of modification, I am jut spending time building up the layers of creatures at the moment:-

Attachments

• IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 328
Update on the base work. Ignore the egg for now, its there for position purposes only, that will also be reskined with the green lights shining through the cracks.

I will complete the rest of the worms, before sculpting larger more detailed worms surrounding the base of the egg. I also going to sculpt some chest busters for added interest within the worms.

I cracked the sculpt at the ankles getting it fixed to the base so still a lot of tidying up to do on the Xenomorph.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 257
Done, just need to paint it!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 266
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back