21 Jump Street

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Solo4114, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

No, it's not a joke.

Yes, Johnny Depp is in it, apparently.

Jonah Hill is as well, which suggests "BromCom" qualities for the film.

So. Setting aside the obvious "F*** Hollywood" comments, here's a question.

The original show first aired in 1987, and ran until 1991. Now, I know that 80s properties have been hot for the past few years because everything that's between 20 and 30 years old is always cool again.

What do you guys figure will be the recycled properties from the early 1990s that'll start popping up in a few years?

I'm thinking we'll end up seeing a TV-to-Film adaptation of Walker, Texas Ranger, myself. Given the Chuck Norris meme, this one seems like a natural fit.

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope Agent X from the X-files shows up and Guns down everybody! ;)

3. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Heck I'm still waiting on Banacek reboot! Can't have enough of Polish millionaire insurance agents. Serious.

Doug

4. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Manimal. That is all.

5. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

All I watched in the early 90s was X-Files and TNG.

X-Files tried its hand on the big screen and failed miserably. A reboot? Not too sure if it would work these days; UFO conspiracies were hot back then, but today???

Don't get me started on Trek. :lol

Seinfeld? Friends? Another Simpsons movie?

Kevin

6. infymys

infymys Sr Member

The only good film adaptation of a TV series was Serenity from the Firefly series. Everything else has been mediocre or just plain bad.

Old shows that I think could be a feature film: Dark Angel. It would be interesting to see if Jessica Alba would be willing to revisit the character that made her famous and if James Cameron could work his magic on it. And Alias would be interesting only if Joss Whedon was involved.

7. groone

groone Well-Known Member

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Yes, yes it would be great!

8. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

9. Donberto17

Donberto17 Active Member

I saw the trailer. Horrible. They destroyed another classic. This does not even look like Jump street. Looks like a pitiful attempt at a "Plain clothes" movie. I was looking foward to it and wanted to give Jonah hill a chance. After all Peter Delouise <Sp> was the plucky type. Just so sad.

10. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

21 Jump Street was a classic?

Age does not make crap any lest craptastic.

11. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

This show was never on any of the stations we had back then so I have no clue what it's really about other than stuff I've seen on tv about it and i think on one of vh1's I love shows. Apparently Depp is hurting for cash as I know he was sick of the show.

12. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

Steven "Captain America" Rogers finds this post odd as well?

Wow. That was quick. Bye Mike07.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  13. JD

JD Master Member

It's not a classic as much as a lot of other TV, but yeah... it's still a lower rung classic. Without 21 Jump Street, Johnny Depp might not be the star he is today. There was plenty of decent episodes on par with The A Team, Knight Rider and the like... just not the cult-ish, testosterone following.

This movie looks terrible.

14. Russ257

Russ257 Sr Member

It's only a cameo

15. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Forgive me, I never watched 21 Jump Street, but wasn't this a show about cops who posed as high school narcs?

16. robn1

robn1 Master Member

^That's it, early FOX show. I saw about 20 minutes of the pilot and turned it off.

17. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I watched the show from time to time as a kid. It was only ever OK.

But this trailer looks TERRIBLE. I turned it off. If I can't even sit through the trailer, well . . .

18. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

Yup, and filmed in Vancouver.

19. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

20. The Rock-a-who

The Rock-a-who Well-Known Member

^This.

But I'll wait for the Booker sequel. :behave

21. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks awful.

Though I personally am looking forward to that scene at the end of the movie. the one where the tough-as-nails segeant comes to the two guys, hat in hand, to congratulate them on their awesome/reightous bust, and offer them their old jobs back... and with promotions! However, since they learned so much during the course of their time on jump street (and a little about themselves too) they decline, insisting that they want to stay in a place where they can do the most good: down on jump street. Applause. Roll end credits over crane shot as they walk away cracking wise.

SOMEONE try to convince me that this scene WON'T be in the movie. :lol

22. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

23. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

This will do as well as THE OTHER GUYS. You folks underestimate middle America.

24. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yup. That's perhaps the saddest part of all. This will probably turn a tidy profit for the studio, and even justify a sequel or two.

25. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I hated The Other Guys.

p.s. Outlander, that's your cue to check it out. ;)

26. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

Yeah? Well, as an attorney in Philadelphia, the cradle of liberty, you're not exactly the target audience. :lol

If Jump Street opens on 3500 screens, it's a 30-32 mil+ opening weekend. 2500? 20 mil.

27. Donberto17

Donberto17 Active Member

Yes, That what I was trying to say. I used to watch it with my mom all the time. While I have gone over the show recently It is still very watchable. It does not keep my attention like Supernatural or Burn notice, I think it was good for it's time. Though with all the remakes I just pray they leave Airwolf and Night Court alone.

28. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Oh, I know I'm not the target audience. I enjoy some other films, but a lot of the Will Ferrel comedies just fall flat for me. I think they tend to improve as you quote them to your friends...but my friends don't quote them that often (we hew more towards Super Troopers).

29. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Just saw the commercial for this today and it looks horrible. How did they take a cop show and turn it into a comedy featuring 2 idiots trying to be cops? It looks like a Police Academy to me and will someone inform the two main actors that they're not funny in anything they've made? Depp must have signed on out of the fact it's an easy paycheck.

30. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

There's really no chance in the world unless he has spent it all on a Mount Everest pile of blow.

31. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I agree. I think it was more they offered him a good hunk of cash to do a cameo.

32. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Oh man this looks like a train wreck. Def one for the crotch humor crowd.

Doug

33. Jodo Kast 3

Jodo Kast 3 Well-Known Member

Yup,

This looks awful.

JK3

34. thehorndogg

thehorndogg New Member

Why don't they ever bring back or remake good shows, like 'BJ and the Bear.' Now there's a concept I can't get enough of, a man and his monkey.
    -Brodie MallRats

35. Steamtech

Steamtech Member

This looks nightmarish. Am I the only one who thinks Jonah Hill looks like he's 40 in this movie? How the hell am I supposed to believe he could pass for a high school student when he looks older than half my teachers did!

36. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This movie is been getting so much good buzz past few days, I wonder how many will actually decide to give it a shot and conclude to be surprised.

37. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

My two cents-Went to see it this weekend as a joke and enjoyed the hell out of it. I never saw the series as it looked like crap then and I had other interests, but this movie was fun. Predictable at times, but still enough surprises to make it worth while. I did not know JD was in it until he showed up-thought it was a neat touch. According to my wife, who did watch the show, several other actors from the original series made cameos.

To me it was worth the cash.

Cheers
    Sebastian

38. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I saw it the other day. I enjoyed it. It wasn't a perfect movie by any means. What it did get, was it poked fun at itself, several times. I did like the cameos and was surprised and mildly delighted by a couple.

39. JD

JD Master Member

Well, I wish that bit was hidden as a spoiler.

I'm probably going to see this tonight (as there's nothing else worth seeing close to me) and I would've liked to have been surprised by that bit.

The reviews I've heard have been that it's better than it looks. I have a strong distaste for Channing Tatum... but an urge to see a new movie tonight.

40. Tank O' Guinness

Tank O' Guinness Well-Known Member

What age would a person have to be to see this? How bad is the violence and swearing and all of that? I've heard 15 and up is okay, How is it really?

41. thehorndogg

thehorndogg New Member

15-16 would be good. Prob nothing they haven't heard in school as far as language or humor. Some gun violence towards the end

42. Tank O' Guinness

Tank O' Guinness Well-Known Member

Thanks!

43. JD

JD Master Member

Lots of swearing, drug use.

The violence is mostly cartoony... but there is a vicious gun shot wound or two and I think you get a glimpse of a pretty badly burned body after an explosion.

44. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

The Other Guys is hilarious!! The "aim for the bushes" part makes me lol every time!!

45. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

Watched it last night with my hubby and we both found it really funny. It was really random at times. Ice cream head,hahaha.

46. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I vaguely remember the old series but this movie is totally not in the same category as the tv series. I thought the movie was hilarious, I was in a gut laugh for majority of it. I also loved the randomness of the film and enjoyed the ad libs by Jonah Hill which he always incorporates in his flicks.

47. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Saw the movie and I was expecting Dukes of hazard but instead I got super bad... Nearly hangover. Hilarious! Hill is his usual funny self but surprisingly funny is Channing Tatum. I recommend this.

48. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

"I'm a PEACOCK captain! You GOTTA let me fly on this one!!!"

:lol

21 jumpstreet? I agree, they shoulda called it the new police academy. THEN I woulda given it a chance! :facepalm

49. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I saw it this week. Honestly this was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while, maybe since pineapple Express. There really wasn't any part i wasn't laughing at.

50. indianeagle

indianeagle Member

anyone made any paper props for the original tv series?