2001: Memory Deactivation Key (HAL 9000 / Space Odyssey)

I'm checking again on a large screen and 4K, I guess I could arrive to a conclusion about the reading in the memory panel side:

MEMORY DRAIN SEQUENCE PER
INSTRUCTIONS A-G (4 D X) AND
MODIFICATION 2B (14 JULY ’99)
MUST BE FOLLOWED (U S A A
COMPUTER OPERATIONS MANUAL)

maybe the most important variation I've discovered this time (checked several times) is the 2nd word: in the previous posts we thought the word was BRAIN, but the right word is DRAIN (it makes sense with the procedure executed by Dave Bowman)

Last edited:
I'm checking again on a large screen and 4K, I guess I could arrive to a conclusion about the reading in the memory panel side:

maybe the most important variation I've discovered this time (checked several times) is the 2nd word: in the previous posts we thought the word was BRAIN, but the right word is DRAIN (it makes sense with the procedure executed by Dave Bowman)

Here's the result of image stacking several frames from the 4k release, and it pretty much confirms your interpretation without any doubt.

Attachments

• shot 1 mean.png
    shot 1 mean.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
  • shot 2 mean.png
    shot 2 mean.png
    1 MB · Views: 140

Great! Thanks for your confirmation!

Hi. Another +1 for the 4K scan. It really is nice.

But as for the brain room notice, I'm afraid I'm not seeing "DRAIN" there at all. It definitely looks like "BRAIN" to me. There's a slightly brighter section in the middle of the letter, plus a dent on the right side.

1613445974231.png

Hi. Another +1 for the 4K scan. It really is nice.

But as for the brain room notice, I'm afraid I'm not seeing "DRAIN" there at all. It definitely looks like "BRAIN" to me. There's a slightly brighter section in the middle of the letter, plus a dent on the right side.

View attachment 1426186

Is that image derived from a single frame? Sometimes the noise on an individual frame can be very misleading. The image stack I posted above was constructed by aligning and averaging 26 different frames. Most of those frames are too rough to interpret by themselves, but when stacked and averaged they paint a much clearer picture:

Shot 1 mean cropped.png

:D If that's not a recreation, then that's the answer. It could not be more clear from what info we have.

Is that image derived from a single frame? Sometimes the noise on an individual frame can be very misleading. The image stack I posted above was constructed by aligning and averaging 26 different frames. Most of those frames are too rough to interpret by themselves, but when stacked and averaged they paint a much clearer picture:

View attachment 1426580
Alright, I need to adjust my eyes now...I`ll leave by the front dooro_O:whistle:

Interesting. That looks great - what tool did you use for that? I focus stacked in Photoshop, and the result I got isn't anywhere near as clear.

Last edited:
Interesting. That looks great - what tool did you use for that? I focus stacked in Photoshop, and the result I got isn't anywhere near as clear.

It's not so much a tool as a technique. I'll see if I can dig up a good tutorial that goes into more detail. But briefly, you import multiple images into Photoshop, double their size using the "nearest neighbor" algorithm, align them, then covert them to a smart object and set the stack mode to achieve the desired result. In this case I used the "mean" stack mode which takes the average value of each pixel across all the layers.

Other stack modes are also useful. “Median” will take the most typical pixel values from multiple images, and is handy for removing objects in motion that appear in just a few frames. “Maximum” will choose the single brightest value for each pixel in the stack, and works wonders for enhancing dimly-lit images.

It's not so much a tool as a technique. I'll see if I can dig up a good tutorial that goes into more detail. But briefly, you import multiple images into Photoshop, double their size using the "nearest neighbor" algorithm, align them, then covert them to a smart object and set the stack mode to achieve the desired result. In this case I used the "mean" stack mode which takes the average value of each pixel across all the layers.

Cool. A bit different from the technique I used, but definitely one that yields better results!

Other stack modes are also useful. “Median” will take the most typical pixel values from multiple images, and is handy for removing objects in motion that appear in just a few frames. “Maximum” will choose the single brightest value for each pixel in the stack, and works wonders for enhancing dimly-lit images.
What a wonderful feature. I never heard of that before. And I quickly found that one can also do this in Gimp:
Thanks a lot!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back