2001: food tray

Alright folks, tentative measurements: total length: 22", width: 8"1/2 and 1"1/2 high. I did a quick blueprint: thickness of the packets included, of course...not sure about the angle/slope at the front of the packet (can easily be transformed), packet is protruding from tray by about 1/2 an inch.

cimg2550.jpg

cimg2551.jpg

cimg2547.jpg

Alright folks, tentative measurements: total length: 22", width: 8"1/2 and 1"1/2 high. I did a quick blueprint: thickness of the packets included, of course...not sure about the angle/slope at the front of the packet (can easily be transformed), packet is protruding from tray by about 1/2 an inch.

View attachment 989318

View attachment 989319
View attachment 989320

Hey joberg,

Nice work! The top view seems to be spot-on, but I don't think you've quite captured the shape of the side of the tray. See this animated comparison between your side view and a screenshot:

AhtqHCt.gif

The "handles" should have a steeper curve, as you can see here.

Also, now that a 4K resolution edition of the film is available, I will now be able to replicate the writing on the tray, as I was unable to read it before in lower resolutions! The higher resolution screenshot will also help my recreations of the illustrations:

wa0sRYC.jpg

As you can see, though, the "Instructions" are total gibberish that was never meant to be read by the audience, and just designed to fill up space. Joberg, would you prefer an exact recreation of these, or should we write "actual" (in other words, relevant and plausible-sounding) instructions for the product that take up the same amount of space?

I'll be working on this mostly on weekends, and am hoping to have the 4x4 illustrations and tray text finished sometime within the next several weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks for that SquidMan...love the way you did the comparo between my handles and the real prop's. It gives me a better view(y) I think that there's only a curve at the top (where your hands are placed to hold the tray) while the line going from that curve to the bottom of the tray seems pretty straight to me. As for the text (didn't know you could do that also), it should be kept like the original. Seems strange, knowing how Stanley worked, to have gibberish as instructions.:)

Another thing: is seems that the packets were found objects. Juice boxes from the '60s (U.K.) I'm saying that, because up to close inspection, there's a small gap between the sides of the packets and the angled flap...and that gap is exactly the same on each packet I've examined (I went to bluescreen caps, btw). I'm also searching for I.V. tubing for the "straws":)

To get back on track: my plastic came on Friday and I started the tray...little cracks to be filled and then painting it with the PanAm blue.

Looks amazing so far! I'm working on the labels still, didn't get to make too much progress this weekend but hope to make up for that next weekend, and hope to post some progress pics.

When this project is finished, would I be able to order a tray from you, joberg?

Well, this week the temp in my workshop was a little too cold to spray anything good. Lots of probs with the finish of the paint:eek: Re-did everything: sanding, and spraying again (it'll have to dry well before I paint the other side). By the middle of the week, I'll post pics of the blue tray:)

That looks fantastic, joberg ! Does the screen-used prop have those four circular pads on the bottom?

Either way, it looks excellent. How did you source the color?

I didn't get a chance to make much progress on the LiquiPak illustrations this weekend (will continue working on those soon), but I did finish recreating the instructions on the tray, with the screen-used tray's fonts and scratched-off/peeled letters replicated as exactly as possible. Here's a preview:

Attachments

• 2001trayinstructions.jpg
    2001trayinstructions.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 464
Yep, those little pads are there for sure (bluescreen capture). Since it's not the same tray as the one on Discovery, a few things were added: since the cooking is coming from an "oven" on board Aries-1B and the crew members, as well as the passengers, never put their tray on a table (they always hold it in both hands, while sucking their food) the pads make sense (distribution of heat is less on the surface...specially when sitting on your knees).;)
SquidMan, the PanAm logo, as well as the fonts are perfect(y): height: 4 1/4 inches X width: 2 1/5 inches.
As look at my old LetraSet sheets, the text is actually the licence # for the various countries where the sheets were sold...Are you going to do that logo as stick-on type of decal, or water slide decal?

joberg, good to know the pads are screen-accurate! Did you eyeball the blue color based on screenshots, or was it based on any other info?

And thank you, I'm glad you like the Pan Am logo and fonts, those took quite a while to source and recreate. Based on my measurements, 4 1/4 inches x 2 inches is close to the proper size for the Pan Am logo + the first three instructions (although technically closer to 4 9/32 x 2 inches, but close enough), but not including the last line ("619,000 Sudafrika" etc etc). The logo and the instructions including that last line should measure to 4 25/32 inches x 2 inches (very slightly over 4 ¾ inches x 2 inches), according to my estimation. Do you agree?

As for the type of decal, I was hoping that you would tell me what would work best, as I don't have much experience working with them. I imagine water slide decal would be best since we'd need the text and logo to look like they're printed directly on the tray? Let me know what you think.

Yes, I agree; these measurements seem correct (I wasn't that off as you can see:D;)) Water slide decals would be best for sure...to retain the blue background. The top of the boxes could simply be on a matt paper that could be easily glued on and not warp, bubble or anything of that sort(y)

Project still on (I'm not slacking on the job:D) just trying to repro those packets in a pro-way. Not as easy as it looks:mad::rolleyes::D I've try to modify a milk carton (keeping the original folds)...aaaannnddd it didn't worko_O Back to the drawing table this week-end. I'm also gonna build a second tray for SquidMan;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back