1966 TV Batmobile

I'd have gone blind making that phone lol. This is a great looking kit. I'm glad companies are reissuing these things now and then.

Thanks Wes. The parts fit is pretty bad but I still have a soft spot for this kit for sure.

Here are a few quick pics as she stands right now. I glued the canopies on with Elmers clear glue and painted the black plastic tire rims with chrome silver...

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

I still need to glue Robin into his seat but I had to touch up the yellow on his cape first. Turns out Robin leans forward with his right hand gripping the canopy frame thus exposing more of his back than I'd anticipated so I had to finsih painting his lower back where I'd left some of the cape unpainted for gluing purposes.

More pics to come once I set up my "studio" in the garage this weekend.

Stay tuned for the next exciting update! Same Bat Time, same Bat Channel!

pdc_batman1966.jpg

Great looking Batmobile. Some seriously fiddley work there. Does anyone know where you can get upgraded wheels, windscreen, bat shape wheel centres etc, for the corgi batmobile. My brother restores those 1970's 80's corgi batmobiles and we used to buy upgraded parts but it seems most of those websites have closed down etc...can anyone point me in the right direction??

Since the last posted pics I've added nerve gas nozzles to the lower front grill screens, like the ones seen here:

front3.jpg

I also cut some little rectangles from styrene sheet and painted them red with black letters that say "GAS". Some very tight brushwork to make the letters.

Here are the nerve gas nozzles made from two sizes of brass tubing turned on my dremel:
IMG_3155.jpg

Here are the nozzles and signs installed on the lower front grill panels:
IMG_3159.jpg

I even added the Bat Turn signage to the rollbar:
IMG_3160.jpg

The base for my highway diorama with a layer of sand sprinkled on over Elmers. I have some greenery (bushes) to glue on in the distance to suggest trees:
IMG_3157.jpg

Next I have to paint the Gotham City skyline for the backdrop. It won't have to be too detailed as my photos will be taken from a low angle so I really only need the suggestion of buildings in the distance.

Work continues on the Gotham City backdrop...

First thing was to rough in the buildings with pencil on watercolor paper:

IMG_3162.jpg

After using a mix of white and black watercolors to make a basic grey sky and the basic shapes and shadows of the buildings rubber cement was brushed on to mask the buildings and the bat signal beam. After the work was finished to create a cloudy sky the rubber cement mask was rolled off using my fingers:
IMG_3166.jpg

Window and other detailing was added using pencil:
IMG_3167.jpg

The buildings were given another going over with a mix of grey acrylics thinned with water to further enhance the shadowing. Once this had dried a spotter brush was used to paint windows using white acrylic paint. They don't need to be perfect as the cityscape won't be in closeup:
IMG_3168.jpg

So far so good. It's looking more and more like Gotham City, at least how I picture it for this diorama. Funny how some of the structures have morphed into different shapes other than what I had originally drawn:
IMG_3169.jpg

Needless to say there are a batload of windows to paint. Once they're are done I should be ready to start taking pics.

Stay tuned... same Bat Time... same Bat Channel!

Excellent work! I got to the part where you said you needed to handpaint the pinstripping and I went, "Oh nooooo." But you did a super job on it.

Was very relieved to see that.

(y)thumbsup
Jon

Holy Batcave Batman!

The Dynamic Dup race to the Batmobile answering the call from the beleaguered citizens of Gotham City!
IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

Beware all evildoers everywhere! Batman and Robin are on the way!

IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

I took more pics after adding rocks and a sign. I also figured out the camera settings to get better depth of field and keep everything in focus!

Thanks to all you Bat fans (dare I say Bat friends?) for you support and comments!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back