1955 Metaluna Mutant life-size prototype bust....

HILDEBEAST

Hello Everyone,
I last posted a photo of my Metaluna Mutant project on this site some time ago. Back then what I had was a white resin head that has since been resculpted to what you see today. I was commissioned by a member here, EAVlll to build this life-size Metaluna Mutant statue. As soon as I started a couple years ago I got a call from Factory Entertainment asking if I was interested in working with them. I started doing concept and design work for Factory Entertainment which kept me very busy. Recently I have been able to get back to work on this classic Universal Monster. This head design will be part of a life-size statue of the classic Universal Monster "Metaluna Mutant" from the 1955 film "This island earth". It will stand roughly 7 feet tall on top a 6 inch base. The head is complete and you can see the fully painted version below. You can also see the unpainted arm and the feet sculpted in clay. The major parts are sculpted and I'm in the process of molding them. He will be standing on a moonscape base with a lighted nameplate and up lighting on either side shinning up to alluminate the monster.

The head sculpt and paint scheme are based on the original 1955 film version of the head and not any reproduction masks made over the years. The color is a blue/grey base with thousands of slightly lighter and darker spots and specs making up the overall color. A lot of reference material was studied to get all the detail as correct as possible. The brain crevices were airbrused and not just painted just like the original head. I wanted the eyes to be special so instead of just painting them on I used clear acrylic half spheres painted from the back. I painted them a very dark metallic green with a lighter veining running through them. I made the choice to make the veining glow in the dark so when the lights go out the eyes still glow mysteriously. Another choice I made that wasn't in the film was to illuminate the eyes if desired. A flame bulb mounted inside the head makes the eyes light up slightly and makes them flicker and look alive. I am currently making a few of these heads as prototypes testing the paints and sealers. I will eventually make a few of the life-size statues as commissioned work, possibly for a couple museums to display also. I have also proposed this bust design to Factory Entertainment and it's possible it might become an officially licensed product in their line.

With no room in the studio for all these large prototype heads, I have this prototype available in the Junkyard if anyone is interested. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to contact me: hildebeast(*at*)verizon.net and I will get back with you.........Douglas

004-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

015.jpg

Eyes are lit in this photo.

use3-1.jpg

0026.jpg

Unpainted resin arm.

0024.jpg

Feet sculpted in Tex-clay.

Last edited:
Just saw you posted this. Absolutely beautiful sir. You have pretty much nailed the look, scale, and detail of the original. You might want to show some of the test base shots and WIP as that's been pretty amazing.

I'll get my forehead sculpey and grey future suit out of the closet in anticipation. Now for the Interociter (still waiting on Electronic Service U16 bead condensors #: AB-619, as the kit seemed to be missing three).

That is ******* awesome, great work. Those eyes gorgeous both lit and unlit. I would be proud having this piece in my collection, keep up the good work!

Hello everyone and thank you for the kind words regarding my work. I've had some requests for some more photos of the Metaluna Mutant life-size statue in progress and here are a couple. I started out by studying the 8-inch Sideshow toy Metaluna Mutant as reference. It really is very accurate aside from a couple differences from the original 1955 life-size. I photographed the 8-inch figure and loaded it into my photoshop. I then could resize the 8-inch figure in scale up to around 7 feet tall in a photo on my computer. I could then use calipers and measuring tools to sculpt the major parts the size I needed. The head on the final sculpt is around 17- inches wide with a 24- inch shoulder area.

0027.jpg

I used simple pvc piping and heat gunned the kness to bend them. I covered the body in the pink styrofoam from The Home Depot along with tape to form the main structure. I then added an inch or so of clay over the tape and foam to sculpt over. This form I built is to sculpt over and once the torso is complete I will mold it and then have to build an entirely new form to fit all the finished resin pieces to.The new form will be light weight and designed so the entire figure can easily and quickly be put together and disassembled.

send.jpg

Here is a photo of the head in Tex-clay with the plastic eye lenses. Yep, his head is supposed to be larger on his right side.
00115.jpg

This will be a lighted plaque that will be housed on top of the moonscape base the entire statue will stand on. This is a basic prototype and the final piece will have an LED bulb in it to back light it. I created the image in photoshop and printed it on regular paper. I clear coated the design and used Modge Podge to adheare the image to the back of a sheet of acrylic plastic. I used a Bondo scraper to smear out the glue and bubbles from the back. It really is a good way to make professional looking plaques that have the look of glass over the top.
Newstylehead.jpg

This is a quick mock up of a resin head and arms ontop an unfinished torso. I am currently sculpting the scales and then the pants.

Here we have a classic example of why this place rocks: I will never, ever build a life-sized Metaluna Mutant (although I have a large scale resin bust and several vinyl kits and the Sideshow 1:6!), but I guarantee I will use this great name plaque technique. Thank you so much for sharing this!

I really wish we had a moderated thread stickied at the top entitled "amazing nuggets buried in a thread you might never read" (maybe there is a less ungainly title possible?) where things like this could be re-posted for all to read.

Great work! I love the asymmetry of the hemispheres (missed by everyone else, I think!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks really good. I love that the character is only in the movie for like 20 minutes total but is by far the most memorable of the time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back