11th doctor help

trekkier

Hey all, I am trying to put an 11th doctor who costume together, and i was wondering if you all could give me some tips on where to get stuff, what type of shirt/pants/shoes to be on the look out for? I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible.

Thanks!

If you want cheap, (Insert childish joke about your mother here) try hitting up your local thrift and resale stores. Places like Goodwill and Plato's Closet should be able to provide most of what you need.

"Try the thrift store" is the perennial answer which in most cases for Doctor Who will not work. However, for this outfit, you should be able to get a lot of it at Goodwill. :thumbsup

The easiest way would be to get the shirt and jacket from a thrift store, a pair of army surplus jump boots, and a pair of skinny black trousers from H&M. Get your suspenders and bow-tie online, you're not likely to find a matching pair anywhere else. You should probably be able to do it for around $75 total.

With a thrift store, you're spending less money but in most, if not all cases, you're sacrificing screen accuracy. I put together a Tennant suit from Goodwill for a small Halloween party. It's nowhere near 100% screen accurate but for what it cost compared to a Baron or a Magnoli suit, I'm pretty happy.

Yeah, sorry, I know that came out snarky! :)

It’s just that I’ve been into Doctor Who costuming for almost 20 years, and I’ve never once found a “long, multi-coloured scarf” or a panama optimo or a pair of spectator shoes or red spats or whatever, despite having been to thrift stores once or a week or so for most of that time. But these are all things that people will tell you to visit a thrift store to find.

In this instance though, you're right, you could do a pretty mean 11 if you spent an afternoon looking round local thrift stores.:thumbsup

This link should help you find some stuff for Eleven
dw_cosplay: Eleven Breakdown

I need to update it for Series 6 but I'll re-post when it's done.

Thrift store shopping easily will help you put together a lot of the elements for Eleven. It helps for a lot of other doctors too- depending on how accurate you want to go but it's never a one-stop solution- especially when your after very specific items like scarves or multi colored coats etc.

the main reason the thrift store option is often recommended is because usually when people ask for help to put together a Doctor costume they usually ask the cheapest option (or less than $100 route) and aside from perhaps the Forbidden Planet costumes hitting the market soon, thrifting/ebaying it is the only major option on that score.

Cheap, eh?

Shirt: You can't go easier than a light blue Oxford (the shirt he favors in the second half of S6). You could also go for the windowpane shirt he wore during the Christmas Special. Hit up Marshall's and TJMaxx for the best and least expensive men's dress shirts.

Trousers: track down any old black denim skinny jeans - about $30 or less. Good sources for inexpensive jeans in this style would be H&M, JCPenny, Marshall's, and TJMaxx.

Shoes: Hit up your local Army Navy Store and poke at their used combat boot selection. Be skeptical of spending more than $35. Very close to the untrained eye.

I hope this helps you. Best of luck!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back