1:6 Vader Project & Digital Scan project

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Too Much Garlic, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Been working on this for some time, but have recently gotten very dissatisfied with the helmet sculpt. After having studied Vader for a while now I have really begun to see all the things that looks off in the details on the helmet, not to mention that it is a reveal helmet, which I don't like so much either.

Anyone making or knowing where I can get some more accurate looking helmets for this kit, preferably looking as the movie props rather than the reveal - and preferably as a two part helmet: face and dome with the dome preferably being resin or some other hard plastic, since vinyl just warps so annoyingly.

I have heard of the Marmit Vader looking more accurate, but since those are not available I was just hoping someone knew of other options. I'm not much of a sculptor - well, I could always try, but don't know how good the result will be.

I guess the Gentle Giant way - laser scanning a full scale helmet and then rescaling it on the comp and then have it make or carve a sculpt - would be too expensive, right?

I'm looking for both an ANH and an ESB version and any help would be appreciated.

Have fun and be well.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Too Much Garlic

So, no one can help me with this?

Well, looking around on the net I think I may have found someone, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Will post further info here, since 122 views would indicate interest in this search. Or is it just interest in the Kaiyodo Vader and people thinking that I had posted pictures of a painted one?

Cheers :)

3. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

There are a lot of us who would love to have a small scale figure which looks just like the marmit prototypes. I had actually thought about using one of the screamin kits myself having seen the sideshow figure.
    I'm interested in seeing what you can come up with and will help in any way I can to make it a reality.

4. Too Much Garlic

I'll post here as soon as I come up with something. Am still waiting for that guy to contact me with pictures of his work.

Just a shame I can't sculpt myself and don't have the money to hire a top quality sculptor or have the helmet laser scanned, etc. :cry

But rest assured... I WILL figure something out... eventually. :p

In the meantime... this is what the Kaiyodo head looks like: (...SHUDDERS...)
    Removed at demand.

Though, one thing I'm very proud of is the paint-job. I did that myself and it came out great. Really nothing much to it. Airbrushed the face with burnt aluminium color first and then painted matt black by hand afterwards + the little details such as the nose and tusks with chrome silver and the vents with gold and gloss red - the dome was airbrushed in matt black - before I then airbrushed on a clear coat.

The surface is smooth and glossy and wipes off easily... and has a nice mirror effect. Oh yeah... my trick with the eyes to make them seem more like lenses was to first paint them in matt black and then transparent glossy red. It gives a real life and menace to the mask. Sorry that effect doesn't translate so well into the pictures. But maybe a better camera and better lighting conditions would be able to show that off better. Will see what I can do, when I get the replacement heads I'm searching for and have them all painted up and finished.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. Too Much Garlic

Received word from the guy doing the custom Vader's over at the Rebelscum forums. I assume many have heard of him already and have admired his work, I know I have.

Apparently, he tried to send pictures about a week ago, but unfortunately didn't receive them then, for some odd reason. Maybe my e-mail server is acting up again: I know it likes to add filters to my incoming mail, even when I haven't told it to.

But to get on with it: he is known as Hurricane Models and can be contacted from the Rebelscum site or possibly pm me for his e-mail address and I can forward it to you. I let him know that there might be interested users here looking for replacement parts for their Vader figures and he was okay with me passing on his info to those interested.

He uses the original Kaiyodo/Screamin' face for his customs, but have made new and more accurate looking domes and I have asked for some close-up pictures of just the helmet - face and dome - and hope to receive them shortly (he's busy, so it could take a while, though).

This is all I have to share for now.

Cheers.

6. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

You know, the face on the last pic looks really good. I think with a decent dome on it you've got a great start to what could be a nice display piece. Well done.

7. Too Much Garlic

Yeah, the face is sorta okay... just a few nit-picking details I don't like about it. TBH: it is pretty close to the look of the Marmit sculpt, imo. The dome however is a completely other matter. It S-U-X.

However, as stated before, I don't know how to sculpt, so I have to rely on others to do the work, meaning... where to find a better dome for this piece that fits and doesn't look off.?

Man, how I hate that I cannot sculpt... :cry that would make my life so much easier... :p

(Sorry, had to edit... posted information about Hurricane's custom's, which I hadn't asked permission to post. I'll ask him if I can post it and if he agrees, then I can provide the info. Until then, please hold on to your pants and ignore that gun in your back... it's all an illusion.) :lol

8. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

I just displayed mine with the hat off...

9. Too Much Garlic

The problem with that is that I just don't like the reveal look at all... :cry otherwise great idea.

10. Too Much Garlic

These are just some of the areas that needs fixing up on the Kaiyodo facemask if that was to be considered for more accurate and to look more like the actual ANH & ESB hero props - indicated by the white lines:

Removed at demand.

And as you can see it is quite extensive and it is just a matter of how best to accomplish those changes without ruining anything.

The left side of the mouth should be pulled in more, the top of the cheeks should be sanded to the correct look, the reveal detail should be sanded off and several other small details.

I guess I will have to buy another Kaiyodo kit to make all those customizations too, since it would most likely require that I mold it with the customizations that can be accomplished on the vinyl head and then make a cast and make the changes that can more easily be made on a resin cast. Then it will be molded again once all the changes are made and viola: a perfect 1:6 scale facemask.

That way I will have an original and a customized version. And, I can make both ANH and ESB versions. Though, since this is basically recasting I won't offer them for sale. These will strictly be limited to my own models. Sorry about that.

And I know... you'll think I'm silly putting so much work into such a tiny piece and that I would be better off sculpting it from scratch. To that I can only say that I am far better at customizing than sculpting, so, to me that is a no-brainer.

The perfect solution would be that some LFL licenced company began to sell accurate looking 1:6 scale helmets, but that is NOT going to happen, so why bother waiting for it... and I need something to do in my spare time... and it will be fun and great practice for possible future projects.

(Just at the idea stage at this time.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  11. Too Much Garlic

Who am I kidding... though it could work, I guess it would cost as much as having a sculptor do a sculpt... never really considered the economical issue with my plan. *.

12. Too Much Garlic

Nobody who knows anybody who could be interested in tackling this project of sculpting an über-accurate Vader face and dome in 1:6 scale or is it too ambitious and is there not really that much interest in such a project to really bother?

Can we expect a licenced version of the props and not the reveal versions as seen in the movies in this small scale in the near future? I seriously doubt it... but seriously... curse my lack of sculpting talents. :cry

13. tk4510

tk4510 New Member

interesting..

14. Too Much Garlic

Will strip the paint off the face this weekend and then possibly begin work on the mouth area - the only area that can be fixed while it's vinyl. All the rest needs to be fixed when I have made a resin cast... (hehe... "when"...). Hopefully this project will not take longer than a few months... :p

Still hoping some sculptor turns up to ease my work, but empty my wallet... hmm... :angel

And still looking after a replacement dome or any info on how to make it myself...

15. Too Much Garlic

Re: 1:6 Vader Helmet Sculpt Needed (Kaiyodo/Screamin')

So long time... still searching... started sculpting and started trimming my kit... still struggling. For some odd reason the Kaiyodo people got most things right, but did things to make them wrong. For instance... the chest box... it's pretty good... however... they did something odd: they made it too small, but the funny part is that the base of the box has additional width to it and is actually the right size the box should have been. EEK. Then there are the belt boxes... they are great, the details are great... and when looking at it from the front it has the right height... but here comes the odd part: they made it two millimeters too short in length and thereby squeezed the greeblies too close together.

AAARRRGGGHHH.

+ I want to add lights to the kits... which means I have to redo both the chest box and belt boxes anyway and either getting clear plastic covers in the correct shape and size fit for sixth scale or cast the complete boxes in clear plastic. EEK :confused

I have neither the skill nor the talent to do these... and I want to be as accurate as possible and have no clue how accurate the current toy versions are... so my question is... how can I get this done? Who has the skills to do such tiny work? How the heck did they do the masters for the Kaiyodo sculpts, Marmit sculpts, toy sculpts? I'm feeling I'm losing my mind here trying to grasp how this was done. Guess I'm a talentless hack when it comes to doing such things or even imagining how it was done... :cry

Just ranting a bit... having spent the best part of today staring at these parts... knowing exactly what's wrong with them, while having not even the slightest clue how to fix it. :confused

Sorry for the ramble... I'll be quiet now.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  16. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

1:6 you say? Haven't there been various vader helmets in that scale over the years, keychain toys, Bust Ups, and those Japanese Tomy mini-helmet trading models...? Are any of those adaptable?

[​IMG]

17. Too Much Garlic

Oh... forgot to say that I'm currently sculpting my own helmet. And no... nothing produced has come even remotely close to being accurate. The best I have seen is the Kaiyodo sculpt (Marmit doesn't count as that is not available) and that is what is shown here. Gentle Giants efforts, being claimed to be laser scanned, is a complete joke.

I have seen very good sculpts in other scales made by members here, but so far nothing in sixth scale.

18. phase pistol

Oh well you answered my question. :lol

19. Too Much Garlic

Yes, having worked on this project for the better part of 2 years... it's honestly sad to know how many Vader merchandise that has been made and not one single accurate one. Very frustrating.

20. phase pistol

I kind of thought the Kotobukiya vinyl statues were pretty good but those are a little smaller than 1:6 I think.

It really is unfortunate. Does anybody on the board have access to stereolithography rapid-prototyping 3D printing equipment? You could print out a tiny Vader helmet. :cool

Getting proper scale on Vader figures has eluded all the companies too.. Vader is a big dude, but the sixth scale figs I've seen just use a regular body on him, and he ends up looking six feet tall. Vader's a shortie. :unsure

21. Too Much Garlic

Well... the helmet is pretty much being worked on... now I need help on the chest and belt boxes...

22. Too Much Garlic

Spent lots of time scouring through model train accessories, thinking that would be the best place to search for square transparent plastic pieces that could be used for the belt box lights, as well as bulbs for the red lights... and the squares on the chest boxes... but it is nearly impossible to find anything as there are rarely any pictures and the descriptions are poor... so unless one really knows what he's looking for... it's a wild goose chase. * it's just so frustrating... :confused

23. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I once had the notion to do a decent 1/6th scale ANH vader figure. I finally decided to basically create the chestbox and belt out of plastic, create rods using tiny plastic coated wire......cut out the parts of the plastic you don't need to create the raised sections of the rods. (worked like a charm) and then sculpt and mould the other detail parts. Create a working proto out of the solid plastic etc.... Then mould the chestbox and belt boxes. Pour them in solid clear resin. Use mask all the unlighted parts with first silver paint and then flat black paint. Use tamiya transparent colors for the lenses of the various lighted parts. Then all you have to do is stick one led on the back of the boxes and voila!!! instant mini lighted accessories.

Hope that helps. You won't believe the quality of the rods you'll achieve if you use my wire idea. :) I've got a pic of the chestbox rods somewhere. If I find it, I'll post the results.

Dave :)

24. Too Much Garlic

Heh... sounds really cool... and looking forward to seeing it if you find the picture. Problem is I have no molding and casting skills what-so-ever and no space to do such things.

25. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hobbytown carries an intro moulding casting kit that takes up very little space. The product even directs you to a website that shows you how to do each process step by step. :)

Dave

26. Too Much Garlic

Hmm... don't have anything like that where I live. I checked their website, but I must be an *, 'cause I can't find much. Do you know if it gives out any odors that may be toxic?

27. jts1031

jts1031 Well-Known Member

So what is Hurricane using for his helmets? I know he's in high demand over at the Sideshow Freaks board for his custom jobs. And a lot of those guys and gals over there are quite happy with Medicom's versions of RotJ and RotS Vader with a few slight modifications.

28. Too Much Garlic

He's using a Hasbro plastic dome mated with the Kaiyodo face, iirc. Looks great, but not accurate enough for what I want.

You can never get it accurate enough by using sourced parts and pieces... it has to be a nearly complete scratch built - especially the face and chest- and belt boxes. Some may go even further than me and do the crooked belt buckle as well. I'm simply sticking with what I can do and what I can get others to do... as long as it is accurate.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  29. Too Much Garlic

Well, this is as far as I came with the face sculpt.
    [​IMG]

Problem is that it dried out, so it is nearly impossible to work with now, so I'll have to start over again. And this time I'll probably use sculpey firm grey as the regular super sculpey flesh is too soft and the color is a ***** to work it as it is too translucent - you can't see the real surface shape until you bake it, which is, with something this small and intricate, not very practical.

The dome work was a failure, but I did learn a few things to improve a future sculpt. So not a total loss.

For the chest and belt boxes I'm really beginning to feel that I need to find someone who can do it for me... too many cuts on hands and fingers for it to be fun... but more on that later.

30. INCOM

INCOM Well-Known Member

It will be a while before I get to my Kaiyodo, but I do plan on swapping out the dome for the old MPC vader dome. Here are a few comparison pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not 100% accurate but it's the same size and made out of plastic so it won't warp.

31. Too Much Garlic

Yeah... been thinking about that... or possibly one of the Hasbro domes... but even if I get these cheap the shipping costs will kill some of the cheapness. And it's a lot of money just to get a small plastic dome...

32. Too Much Garlic

Okay... that does it... no more cut fingertips and blood everywhere... and PAIN... :angry

I'm looking for someone who can make 6 movie specific pieces for me. I have no clue what the best way to do these is, which is why I haven't been able to make them myself and why I can't specifically ask what kind of craftsman I'm looking for - a sculptor or a styrene constructor or whatever way is best. I need someone to do the chest boxes and the belt boxes for me, in a way so that it's possible to add a lighting feature to the pieces later when attaching them to and assembling and finishing the kits.

That's 6 small pieces in sixth scale of the originals - 3 pieces for each figure: 2 identical sized chestboxes with different details + 4 nearly identical sized belt boxes, a left and a right, with different details.

in case anyone was wondering:
    [​IMG]

I'm searching for who has the best way to do this the most accurately in sixth scale. I have detailed pictures of the various parts, plus some measurements of some of the parts to help with the scaling + I can send the Kaiyodo parts that are nearly accurate, but for some odd design choice ended up not being 100%.

I wish someone can help me out.

(I just wish they'd released the Marmit)

For the rest of the project, here's the current amount of work done so far in the re-shaping department. The one on the left is ANH and right is ESB. As you can probably see, the ANH needed a lot of trimming and re-positioning, whereas the ESB is left pretty much "as is".
    [​IMG]
    The Shoulder armor has to have parts resculpted to make it more accurate and I basically have to resculpt most of the arms to get into the poses I want - see below. Otherwise, the project is going great.

And just to bore you with more pictures, then I found two that show the poses I'm going for:
    [​IMG]

33. Too Much Garlic

Re: 1:6 Kaiyodo Vader Project

YAY... think I found someone to do the chest and belt boxes. In fact... may have found two... decisions, decisions... but regardless, I think the search for those parts are over... so on to the next great thing... my helmet sculpt. Finally got word that the pieces I need will be at the store tomorrow, so off I'll go to pick them up and finally be able to continue with the sculpt.

So all is good. :lol

34. Too Much Garlic

Did some work on the ANH version chest armor, to see how it'd look. Needs more work, but will probably have to be removed and then with sculpey firm instead as the sculpey flesh is just too soft.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

35. drusselmeyer

drusselmeyer Well-Known Member

Wow, if it is that complicated just to fix a few flaws, I need to sell mine.

:lol

36. Too Much Garlic

Who did this and is it a full 3D file or just 2D slices?

[​IMG]

37. Too Much Garlic

Just for fun I tried putting the pieces together. Enjoy.

EDIT: Picture link removed because of the new PhotoBucket.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  38. phase pistol

Wow! For a guy with no humor, you're actually kind of talented. :eek

:thumbsup

39. Too Much Garlic

Well, I try. :)

40. Too Much Garlic

Here's a new update. The model is nearly finished now. Only missing the upper inner eye socket on the left eye (right in picture) and a filling of a hole on the brow... and then it's pretty much done and I hope the guy I have cleaning this up will be able to use this file, as the other was apparently impossible to work with.

Along with an old preview picture of the whole project:
    (Facemask and dome in this picture are the older models, so not up to date. You can't see it as much in the picture, but there is a lot of excess junk on the surfaces that aren't in the new ones.)

41. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

42. Too Much Garlic

Re: 1:6 Kaiyodo Vader Project - Now with digital scan project

I can't help but think Gentle Giant RotS Vader bust. I may be way off.

I like the fact that the use the accurate looking grills. It's not perfect, but it is not bad at all.

43. Too Much Garlic

Getting closer.

Have also realized that the Kaiyodo sculpts are pretty stylized and a bit "thin" looking, so I'm sculpting my own body for this project.

Since I've basically cut into the Kaiyodo kits, I will finish those to the best of my ability and then likely sell them, with as many of the original parts on the kit as possible - with the occasional updated part here and there. I don't expect to be able to get their original state MIB price, now that they are reworked so extensively, but I'm hoping it's not a total loss.

44. phase pistol

[​IMG]

Vader helmet keychain! Awesome. They should have gotten James Earl Jones to record some new lines for it though. :cool

"I see you have purchased a new keychain."

"The power to open a locked door, is insignificant compared to the Force."

"Join me, and together we can open every door in this building! The Emperor has forseen this."

"Obi-wan never told you what happened to those keys you misplaced."

45. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Wow... that's one of the best miniature Vader heads I've seen. Lots of mod potential!

I'll go buy one now to evaluate it....

46. Too Much Garlic

The scan now has lenses. It's becoming more and more complete. Hopefully I will have something to show you soon, once the basic model has been finalized. They are not aligned perfectly in the below picture, just added quickly for show.

Enjoy.

47. propologist

propologist Sr Member

There's a guy at the MegoMuseum that is doing many of the star wars guys in Mego scale. I have his Jawa he did and he has done Vader, Hammerhead , Bossk and a few others. they are outstanding as well.

48. Too Much Garlic

What is Mego scale?

49. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

somewhere around 1:9th IIRC

50. Too Much Garlic

Just thought I'd see if I could re-create that old combined Dome, facemask and armor shot with the newest versions.

And a rarely seen angle - please bear in mind that the various parts are not aligned perfectly:

And... I decided to ditch the Kaiyodo kits and start making my own sculpt as their version was a bit skinny compared to how Dave Prowse looked. I'm using the Kaiyodo as a size reference when sculpting the basic body, trying to recreate Prowse's proportions. This is the progress so far - first an earlier progress picture next to the Kaiyodo for scale and the next is the latest progress picture. Have worked on him a little since then, trying to bulk him up and smooth things out and getting them into correct anatomical positions. He will be in the iconic *hands on belt* pose that he's seen in, in all three films.

Enjoy: