1:6 Vader Project & Digital Scan project

Re: 1:6 Kaiyodo Vader Project - Now with digital scan project

I can't help but think Gentle Giant RotS Vader bust. I may be way off.

I like the fact that the use the accurate looking grills. It's not perfect, but it is not bad at all.

Getting closer.

EDIT: Picture link removed because of the new PhotoBucket.

Have also realized that the Kaiyodo sculpts are pretty stylized and a bit "thin" looking, so I'm sculpting my own body for this project.

Since I've basically cut into the Kaiyodo kits, I will finish those to the best of my ability and then likely sell them, with as many of the original parts on the kit as possible - with the occasional updated part here and there. I don't expect to be able to get their original state MIB price, now that they are reworked so extensively, but I'm hoping it's not a total loss.

Last edited:

I wonder if this is a new sculpt or a rehash ?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/c42d/

imageuploadimage.jpg

Vader helmet keychain! Awesome. They should have gotten James Earl Jones to record some new lines for it though. :cool

"I see you have purchased a new keychain."

"The power to open a locked door, is insignificant compared to the Force."

"Join me, and together we can open every door in this building! The Emperor has forseen this."

"Obi-wan never told you what happened to those keys you misplaced."

Wow... that's one of the best miniature Vader heads I've seen. Lots of mod potential!

I'll go buy one now to evaluate it....

The scan now has lenses. It's becoming more and more complete. Hopefully I will have something to show you soon, once the basic model has been finalized. They are not aligned perfectly in the below picture, just added quickly for show.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
There's a guy at the MegoMuseum that is doing many of the star wars guys in Mego scale. I have his Jawa he did and he has done Vader, Hammerhead , Bossk and a few others. they are outstanding as well.

Just thought I'd see if I could re-create that old combined Dome, facemask and armor shot with the newest versions.

And a rarely seen angle - please bear in mind that the various parts are not aligned perfectly:

And... I decided to ditch the Kaiyodo kits and start making my own sculpt as their version was a bit skinny compared to how Dave Prowse looked. I'm using the Kaiyodo as a size reference when sculpting the basic body, trying to recreate Prowse's proportions. This is the progress so far - first an earlier progress picture next to the Kaiyodo for scale and the next is the latest progress picture. Have worked on him a little since then, trying to bulk him up and smooth things out and getting them into correct anatomical positions. He will be in the iconic *hands on belt* pose that he's seen in, in all three films.

Enjoy:

Last edited:
Carsten that looks great.
This would be the first time (at least to my knowledge) that there has ever been an accurate scaled vader figure, with using derived from screen cast parts as the basis.
Should knock the socks off the 1:6 scale people when finished.

Yes.

I was so excited all those years ago when Gentle Giant was first starting up. Their original sales pitch, iirc, was that they were gonna bring busts laser scanned and scaled down from the original props to the market... well... that certainly can't be said about their Vaders. A shame really as that was what got me interested in the company and their products in the first place - they even showed laser scans of the original actors from the PT, but it is clear that the busts that were eventually made wasn't using those scans. The only one that is clearly from a scanned original is the Stormtrooper bust helmet, but they've even changed that to a symmetrical version (done like the old DP helmets) for the new statue. Bloody shame.

My version won't be perfect. There will be some cut corners here and there, making things a bit idealized. But it will still be better than what is available to date. At least it will be good enough for me. It will still be possible for a company to surpass my effort in the future... but then it'd be because they had access to better equipment and could afford 3D modeling to a degree I cannot.

Carsten that looks great.
This would be the first time (at least to my knowledge) that there has ever been an accurate scaled vader figure, with using derived from screen cast parts as the basis.
Should knock the socks off the 1:6 scale people when finished.

oh Gino, you´re truely an evil warrior (lol)....

Wow Carsten, how could I have missed that thread.
This is so amazing. Any news about this project?
Good Luck. You need a long breath for it.

I can´t wait to see it finished.

Last edited:
Sorry, nothing to show yet. Will update as soon as I have something worth showing. Have been sculpting on the body... but can't really go much further until I have the hard parts ready.

Well, while we are waiting... I finally managed to get a pretty decent dome alignment going without having the program crash and not being able to save. Not perfect though, but passable. These are still the raw files. I still have nothing to show of the refined models, as I'd prefer only to show the finished versions.

It's been frustrating and costly to try to update the hardware... and once that gets finished the quality may improve greatly. These files show the quality of the current setup, so I hope with all the money invested and the help from one guy in particular that the future will bring even better looking 3D models.

Last edited:
Just got some new pictures from the modeler. He's done with the grills, shaped and matched and positioned according to the originals in the movies... it's really something. This project just took a huge step up in terms of overall accuracy in regards to the accessories.

This is just great and now he'll go back to concentrating on the mask and dome to perfect them. Shown in the raw scan file with the chin vents roughly cut out to size and not the WIP 3D model.

ANH:

ESB:

And here's a WIP shot of the tusk design. The grooves will be added to the base of the digital file, but since the print will be so small, they may not show up at all. We'll see.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back