1/350 Titanic Build

PaulAccess

Hello fellow makers. Im Paul, been a member of this site for about 5 minutes now because I need your help!!

I've recently became aware of the RPF and was planning on posting pics of the progress of this build as well as asking for advice on certain areas, however, I've run into a problem pretty much immediately and cant really move forward until I fix it. Had planned on my first post including more info and pics, but that will have to wait until later.

So I just started building the Minicraft 1/350 scale Titanic and managed to drip a large amount of CA glue across the haul. I read that Acetone is great for breaking down CA and it recommended using nail polish remover. So I bought some and it pretty much did nothing. Then I read the back and realized nail polish remover contains a slew of other ingredients. I slobbed it on pretty heavy and scrubbed it with a small brush and the only thing I noticed was the primer ever so slightly starting to come off.

So the question is, do I need pure Acetone, or is there a technique to doing this, ie, does it need to soak for a while?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I can't suggest a good way to remove that but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in!

I would NOT use acetone though as I am reasonably certain it will melt the kit's plastic!

Update...

Went to my art store and they didnt carry any of the CA solvents I realized I should be looking for. They did have pure acetone, so I carefully applied thin coats and quickly wiped clean with a wet towel after each few passes, it definitely worked as opposed to the nail polish remover. I put a few minor scuffs in the haul using my knife to peel the pieces off, but after another coat of primer Im extremely happy with how the repair went
IMG_2848.JPG

Last edited:
Looks nice. I would bet a military modeler on one of the other boards would have some good advice for replacing those missing rivets too.

Great reference material and modelling guidance here:-

http://www.rivet-counter.com and http://titanic-model.com/links.html

Extensive information ranging from making the best of the kit "out of the box" to correcting defects, remodelling deck and wall layouts, scale colour, correcting portholes etc, plus links to etched brass and other accessories . If you want to spend years on one model, these sites will fill your time nicely.

Worth a look whether you're just browsing or certifiably obsessive.

I would love to do a Titanic. I was even obsessed with the ship back in the early 70s when James Cameron was still working the drive-thru window. Given how many other kits I have ahead of it, and how insanely obsessive I'd be, I can't imagine ever doing one -- at least doing it right.

Yeah, Ive been on the titanic-model.com site a lot. Going to put up a detailed post about my plans for this build, but the etched brass kits are defintely happening. Drilled the portholes and plan on putting lighting in as well as weathering. Might do passengers, but I think the decision will be made when I have them in front of me

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back