1:1 scale bust - how much clay?

Draven

Would like to do a 1:1 scale bust, but am really crap at estimating volume!!

I'll make a foam insulation type "skeleton" bust then wrap chavant clay around that to save on clay.

How many Kilos do you think I'll need for a head, shoulders and perhaps down to the solar plexus?

Identity of bust is as yet unknown, but will be human and average size (i.e. not Arnie!!!)

Any help from fellow sculptors is seriously appreciated before I buy too much clay!!!!

Draven

I usually like to have 40-50 lbs on hand for a head and shoulders bust.

You'll likely not need all of that, but it's always better to have too much than too little.

I realize that's not an exact number, but it'll get you in the ballpark...

Tom

Yup, gotta go with Tom on this. It also depens on how much "hair" will be on it. I've found that for the average male, bald head will take about 25-27 lbs. But like Tom said, adding neck and shoulders could run you an easy 10 lbs. more.

Yup, gotta go with Tom on this. It also depens on how much "hair" will be on it. I've found that for the average male, bald head will take about 25-27 lbs. But like Tom said, adding neck and shoulders could run you an easy 10 lbs. more.

I usually like to have 40-50 lbs on hand for a head and shoulders bust.

You'll likely not need all of that, but it's always better to have too much than too little.

I realize that's not an exact number, but it'll get you in the ballpark...

Tom

That's great info guys - Thanks for your help.

Now to price that up!

Hopefully it'll be good enough to show-off on here :unsure.

Draven

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back