Limited Run “Mine! Or I will help you not!” YODA LAMP BLOWOUT. Last in stock SALE

Re: “Mine! Or I will help you not!” Luke’s… no wait… Yoda’s Dagobah Lamp run.

The parts are being machined by someone else in another part of the country. I PAID for every single thing already plus more than each deposit for all parts, etc. Already. I'm personally out as well, until I get them in hand to personally finish them and send them out. There's going to be even more time once I receive them to work through making them all, packaging, posting, and mailing as well. Being one person, it will certainly take me a few weeks to work through them. Once I get them there's additional machine time, electronics wiring, etc.

So there's all chance the same can happen to me, then what would I do? thousands of dollars no longer in my account either.

That said, Tom, next time you have a question like this, it would be better to contact me privately.
Just wanted people to be aware about expiring of the buyer protection option of PayPal, that's all. In the case of SD Studios, nobody ever thought that Steve would screw people over, but he is still in debt for thousands and thousands of dollars to multiple RPF members. A once trusted and highly valued RPF member that delivered top quality props, turned out to be a fraud when things went wrong. Certainly not saying this is the case here, let this be clear, but I much rather be safe than sorry.

Anyway, I got the refund, and will make the payment of the deposits again in a few minutes. Case closed then for me. I'll keep following the thread with great interest ;-)

I can see it going either way on that one. There's no ideal answer.

I can see it going either way on that one. There's no ideal answer.
Doesn't matter anymore for me. I got a refund and made the deposit again. So nothing to see here. Back on track for those lamps! :)

“Mine! Or I will help you not!” Luke’s… no wait… Yoda’s Dagobah Lamp run.

I totally understand sweating out payments. I front $12k every month for my Warp Drive runs on Astromech and pray everyone comes through with their “I’m definitely gonna pay you!” commitment. That being said, if one can’t afford to take a financial risk, one should not be a buyer or seller of custom made art.

This is a beautiful piece and well worth the risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That being said, if one can’t afford to take a financial risk, one should not be a buyer or seller of custom made art.

EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better. These things are not supposed to be paid for with your grocery money. It's a hobby and usually a very expensive one at that.

That being said, if one can’t afford to take a financial risk, one should not be a buyer or seller of custom made art.
That's a rediculous statement. We do not HAVE to take risks here, since PayPal protects buyers from not-delivering. But this protection period is only 6 months. Sorry, but saying: "If you are not willing to loose some money, you should not be in this hobby", is just not correct. In that case the banning policy of the RPF for members not delivering, should also not be there, since this is a risk of this hobby you should be wanting to take / able to afford. That's basically what you are saying.

In the past I almost lost + $500 to a VERY respected member here, that out of the blue screwed over dozens of RPF members. Nobody expected this, or saw this coming. I'm sure there were RPF members that would trust this guy with their life. But nevertheless he screwed over everybody. This basically was possible because everybody paid hundreds of dollars as deposits, and the gey kept everybody waiting for over months, so nobody was able the open a claim with paypal anymore. I had to go after the guy his new business and contact his partners to get my money back, and I'm one of the very few who did actually get his money back. There are still dozens of RPF members that lost hundreds of dollars. So for you this is a risk we need to take? Well, that's your opinion, but for me $300 is a lot of money that I don't want to loose. Sorry for that. :behave

And to be clear: this is not my "grocery money". I never said I could not AFFORD to loose this money. I just don't WANT to loose that money. Big difference! I only pay for props with money I can actually miss, but this doesn't mean I'm willing to LOOSE this money.

That being said, everybody has to decide for his own if he or she wants to take the risk loosing a few hundreds of dollars (I paid for two lamps, so that's $300). I don't want to take that risk, certainly not after the SD Studios story: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=215566

And if you can avoid the risk by just getting refunded and make the payment again right away, why not? Doesn't cost anything to anybody, and we're safe again for 6 months... ;)

Last edited:

That's a rediculous statement. We do not HAVE to take risks here, since PayPal protects buyers from not-delivering. But this protection period is only 6 months. Sorry, but saying: "If you are not willing to loose some money from time to time, you should not be in this hobby", is just not correct. In that case the banning policy of the RPF for members not delivering, should also not be there, since this is a risk of this hobby you should be wanting to take / able to afford. That's basically what you are saying.

In the past I almost lost + $500 to a VERY respected member here, that out of the blue screwed over dozens of RPF members. Nobody exteded this, or saw this coming. I'm sure there were RPF members that would trust this guy with their life. But nevertheless he screwed over everybody. This basically was possible because everybody paid hundreds of dollars as deposits, and the gey kept everybody waiting for over months, so nobody was able the open a claim with paypal. I had to go after the guy his new business and contact his partners to get my money back, and I'm one of the very few who did actually get his money back. There are still dozens of RPF members that lost hundreds of dollars. So for you this is a risk we need to take? Well, that's your opinion, but for me $300 is a lot of money that I don't want to loose. Sorry for that. :behave

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=215566

You are correct. You do not have to take risks here. However, anyone that offers a self funded or partially funded run takes a risk for the good of the hobby; assuming they are honorable. It’s a passion play. You’ve already resolved your situation and I respect your decision. I do, however, agree with the artist’s request to communicate such concerns privately in lieu of open forum. I would only abandon chivalry if the artist ignores your communications.

Last edited:

I do, however, agree with the artist’s request to communicate such concerns privately in lieu of open forum.
I made the request on purpose in the thread itself. Everybody should be aware that the protection period PayPal offers expires sometime. I totally lost track of that in the case of SD Studios (back then it was also MUCH shorter. I think you could only open disputes within one month or so). Maybe some people in the run didn't realize this. Now everybody is aware and everybody should decide himself / herself what to do.

Let's be clear, I'm pretty sure the lamps will be delivered and will be great. But I was also pretty sure SD Studios would deliver great neuralyzers. After all he delivered me a fantastic Batman Grapple Gun and a fantastic HAL panel. Props of the highest quality. No way I was expecting that the neuro's would never be delivered. But it happened... So no risks for me anymore... Others can decide for themselves...

I made the request on purpose in the thread itself. Everybody should be aware that the protection period PayPal offers expires sometime. I totally lost track of that in the case of SD Studios (back then it was also MUCH shorter. I think you could only open disputes within one month or so). Maybe some people in the run didn't realize this. Now everybody is aware and everybody should decide himself / herself what to do.

Let's be clear, I'm pretty sure the lamps will be delivered and will be great. But I was also pretty sure SD Studios would deliver great neuralyzers. After all he delivered me a fantastic Batman Grapple Gun and a fantastic HAL panel. Props of the highest quality. No way I was expecting that the neuro's would never be delivered. But it happened... So no risks for me anymore... Others can decide for themselves...

I should hope that everyone is aware of PayPal policy. I’m glad you didn’t get stung previously.

I think there's a lot of bandwagoning here that isn't necessary. Tom makes a fair point about the nature of how preorders and paypal work for runs like this - and made his point clearly (via re-depositing) that he was maintaining his investment in the project that has an inherent risk. I've had the same concerns over ordering custom items from people I don't know on other sites.

It's great that the project is moving forward again, this is my most-anticipated purchase of 2018 so far.

I think there's a lot of bandwagoning here that isn't necessary. Tom makes a fair point about the nature of how preorders and paypal work for runs like this - and made his point clearly (via re-depositing) that he was maintaining his investment in the project that has an inherent risk. I've had the same concerns over ordering custom items from people I don't know on other sites.

It's great that the project is moving forward again, this is my most-anticipated purchase of 2018 so far.

This is exactly why we do fully funded runs in the R2 Builders Club,why We don’t take deposits, and why all parts suppliers must be BC approved. Under club rules, the risk resides with the supplier.

In any case, I am totally stoked that this run is happening. I’ve been wanting a lamp for years.

I made the request on purpose in the thread itself. Everybody should be aware that the protection period PayPal offers expires sometime.

So just to make sure I get this straight. He took deposits in order to start working on this project, which is a SELF-FUNDED PROJECT, the deposits being only a portion of money spent to make this happen. The deposit is for you to show your commitment to the project so HE doesn't get screwed and to help HIM get it started, which means that money was spent. Now you post it on the thread suggesting everyone be aware of the expiration, which to me sounds a lot like suggesting everyone should be requesting refunds and then immediately pay again in an effort to "reset the clock". What is that going to do to Scott's bank account if he has to refund everyone's deposits just to get them back? that would mean he has to have the full amount already. I'm not saying he doesn't, and I'm not saying he does. I'm saying he shouldn't have to. You're trusting him to make you a cool toy and are partially paying for it up front. He's trusting you to pay for the rest of it on completion and not leave him out to dry. That's all there is to it. If you are unhappy with the delay, get cold feet, decide you want to spend your money on a different cool toy, etc. then contact him privately and ask for a refund. Then go through paypal to file a dispute if he refuses or ignores you before your time runs out.

So just to make sure I get this straight. He took deposits in order to start working on this project, which is a SELF-FUNDED PROJECT, the deposits being only a portion of money spent to make this happen. The deposit is for you to show your commitment to the project so HE doesn't get screwed and to help HIM get it started, which means that money was spent. Now you post it on the thread suggesting everyone be aware of the expiration, which to me sounds a lot like suggesting everyone should be requesting refunds and then immediately pay again in an effort to "reset the clock". What is that going to do to Scott's bank account if he has to refund everyone's deposits just to get them back? that would mean he has to have the full amount already. I'm not saying he doesn't, and I'm not saying he does. I'm saying he shouldn't have to. You're trusting him to make you a cool toy and are partially paying for it up front. He's trusting you to pay for the rest of it on completion and not leave him out to dry. That's all there is to it. If you are unhappy with the delay, get cold feet, decide you want to spend your money on a different cool toy, etc. then contact him privately and ask for a refund. Then go through paypal to file a dispute if he refuses or ignores you before your time runs out.

Precisely!!!

If everyone was to reset the clock, then the run wouldn’t exist and Scott would be up the creek. Sometimes just because things can be reset doesn’t mean they should be. It certainly wouldn’t encourage other artists to offer up their skills to the RPF. I stand by my original comment. If you can’t stand the financial heat, stay out of the financial fire.

Scott, if people flip around and place this run in jeopardy please PM me for financial assistance. I will gladly help you fund this entire run under my hobby company Motus Industries.

Hey guys... don't forget I IMMEDIATELY made the deposit again. If everybody would ask the same, and Scott handles this one by one, he would have to fund only ONE deposit at a time, since every refund, would be funded again immediately. So saying that Scott would be in trouble is just not correct. It's like jcroscigno is saying: I keep my commitment in the project, but indeed just have "reset the clock" as far as PayPal protection is concerned. Scott is not loosing one penny here! Some people here make a pretty big deal out of something that doesn't cost anybody any money.

I'd say: go share all these arguments with the people in the list in this thread https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=215566, still waiting for their money.
And finally: just want to point out that I ordered 2 lamps, and was willing to buy a third one just to get the run started... So don't tell me about "standing the financial heat", please... :behave I earn a good living and will not eat less if I loose a few thousands of bucks at this moment. But does this mean I can be careless with my money? Don't think so.

And can we go back to the actual topic, please? I secured my deposit, and think I made my point towards other people in this run. Everybody has to decide for it's own, without judging others for their choices. If others feel they have to do the same as me, I don't see why this should be a problem, if Scott handles them one by one. It's not that we're talking about 100 transactions here. This would be perfectly managable... I do not "encourage" it. Everybody has to do what he has to do. Only mentioning that the buyer protection period is only 6 months...

So that being said: let's see that progress on the lamps! ;)

Let's set the record straight regarding deposits and where that money is now.

The parts are all paid for and bought, the material is paid for, and is being run and turned into machined parts. Everything is MADE IN THE USA, so there are NO foreign aspects to deal with. Even the aluminum is USA made, and not foreign sourced to save cost.

All deposits have paid for the the physical materials, plus more from my own pocket to fund the physical existence of the lamps. If people want refunds, then you'll need to work out with me and Solo's hold on reselling your materials to recoup your deposits, since the money you sent has already been turned into physical product in one form or another.

In any case, they physically exist in one form or the other already. There's no vaporware here.

on topic: I'm re-wiring the prototype (which isn't as accurate as the production run version) with the new LED today, for display at the north texas prop party tomorrow. I'll share pics of the warm white LEDs I chose to better match the look on-screen.

Hey guys... don't forget I IMMEDIATELY made the deposit again. If everybody would ask the same, and Scott handles this one by one, he would have to fund only ONE deposit at a time, since every refund, would be funded again immediately. So saying that Scott would be in trouble is just not correct. It's like jcroscigno is saying: I keep my commitment in the project, but indeed just have "reset the clock" as far as PayPal protection is concerned. Scott is not loosing one penny here! Some people here make a pretty big deal out of something that doesn't cost anybody any money.

I'd say: go share all these arguments with the people in the list in this thread https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=215566, still waiting for their money.
And finally: just want to point out that I ordered 2 lamps, and was willing to buy a third one just to get the run started... So don't tell me about "standing the financial heat", please... :behave I earn a good living and will not eat less if I loose a few thousands of bucks at this moment. But does this mean I can be careless with my money? Don't think so.

And can we go back to the actual topic, please? I secured my deposit, and think I made my point towards other people in this run. Everybody has to decide for it's own, without judging others for their choices. If others feel they have to do the same as me, I don't see why this should be a problem, if Scott handles them one by one. It's not that we're talking about 100 transactions here. This would be perfectly managable... I do not "encourage" it. Everybody has to do what he has to do. Only mentioning that the buyer protection period is only 6 months...

So that being said: let's see that progress on the lamps! ;)

Scott has about $8K worth of parts and labor fees from me at this moment for various projects, including this lamp, and I have always paid him using “Friends & Family” without hesitation. He’s a man of integrity, and puts a ton of pride in his work.

Instead of airing your paranoia for the rest of the forum, next time why don’t you try messaging him first? He’s always quick to answer anyone’s questions, whether or not they’re commissioning or buying something from him. Some would even argue that he’s too generous with his time and knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think noone here is in doubt for Scotts integrity.

For me it has more read like what might happen if he has a accident or something that way. In the worst case his family would have much more important things to handle than to find out who gets what bits of the strange metal part collection, no matter if there is pysical stuff.

NickCline said:
Instead of airing your paranoia
Seriously, mate? :facepalm Paranoia? Did you even read what I wrote? I'm not paranoia, but I'm also not naive, either! I was naive to trust SD Studio's back in the day, just because he was a valued and trusten RPF member with years of experience in the prop replication business. Look how that turned out. Like I already said: I got my money back, but dozens of others not.
NickCline said:
for the rest of the forum, next time why don’t you try messaging him first?
Also explained this in a previous message. Please read through all the posts before repeating what's already been said multiple of times here! I want this thread to go back on topic
NickCline said:
He’s always quick to answer anyone’s questions, whether or not they’re commissioning or buying something from him. Some would even argue that he’s too generous with his time and knowledge.
You can say exactly the same of Steve from SD Studios... until things went bad. And it's like Lichtbringer says: it's not only a matter of trust. An accident can happen to everybody. Let's hope not, but in that case PayPal "covers our asses" without everybody else (like Scott's family) has to worry about a thing. If you do business for a profession, first rule is to make good agreements and put things on paper. No matter how much you trust the other party, clear agreements make good relations in business. Not more than that. Take a look at the top 15 in the members feedback list. All people that live by clear agreements and commitments. So all clear and we can go back on topic now? :behave

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back