The Rocky Horror Picture Show costume discussion

Amadscientist

I did a search and see that there are few threads on this subject. With Halloween coming up and the Bluray release of the film, this might be a good time to share with those who may not otherwise have the opportunity, this aspect of replica costuming.

I'll start out by clarifying that this is not about making a duct tape costume....or a slap together quickie for audience participation. I am talking about screen accurate replicas and performance quality costuming.

A little background about the subject:
The original film "The Rocky Horror picture Show" was costumed by designer Sue Blane, who returned for the film production after designing both the original 1973 British, Kings Road production, the first Australian production and various tours and revivals since then.

The costumes are notable as extravagant "Glitter Rock" costumes of the early 1970s (the designs as originally produced for the film). We would consider them as period costuming today even though many of the fashions have returned. Heavy use of knits and synthetic fabrics makes these costumes easier to reproduce than a molded suit of armor.....however there are some limitations to currently produced fabrics. This has been overcome by some by commissioning the fabrics to be reproduced professionally and by others by shopping the thrift stores looking for the needed fabrics.

The most difficult costumes appears to be that of the main character of Frank N. Furter. Mostly due to the use of a period corset that has been altered to a degree that makes it difficult to understand it's basic design.

The film production boasted a costume budget of $1600.00 in 1974. Not much considering the film had a cost over 1 million......however when one looks at what is being worn......it isn't that hard to understand. Today however, the cost is much higher.

"Prepaaaaaaare tha transiiiiiiiiit BEEEEEEEEAAAAAAM!" :D

rhpsrh07.jpg

This is the Columbia costume that my mother and I put together on a budget about four years ago for Halloween. The hat was originally just a black top hat covered in confetti dot that was purchased to try to match the fabric of the coat we altered. The corset is hand-sequined and took quite a while to do. The bow tie was also hand sequined. I'm just wearing character shoes, as opposed to tap shoes, and the perfect teal socks from a thrift store.

picture3232.jpg

picture324gf.jpg

These shorts were altered simply with multiple colors of ribbon. They no longer fit me, as they're rediculously small, but I've still got them somewhere with the rest of the costume.
picture0052.jpg

picture0042.jpg

This photo is one of a costume that my mother Lynne Petty also made, on someone performing for the shadowcast screening of the movie. It's not perfect, as the quilting isn't exact and there's only one layer of vinyl, but this costume was also done on a budget.

picture008-cropped.jpg

Wow I would so totally make that outfit. Is it gold or silver? I can't tell from the B/W photo, and I've never seen the movie.

Well first I thought gold, then I thought no wait, silver with yellow light on it, and then finally I concluded gold.

riffraffmagentatransitb.jpg

Note that both of them are wearing the stiletto heels. :lol

Last edited:
i got my costuming start with rocky. all my stuff is long gone now, though i do still pop in to the show now and then.

i've always wanted to see someone REALLY nail the riff/magenta suits from the end scene. right fabric, right quilting pattern. people always seem to use the pre-quilted gold lame stuff.

I have a Frank costume but working on a eddie now,

A jacket you say that you want to let go, shoot me a PM

There are some great LJ comunitys and websites out there for help and hints

i got my costuming start with rocky. all my stuff is long gone now, though i do still pop in to the show now and then.

i've always wanted to see someone REALLY nail the riff/magenta suits from the end scene. right fabric, right quilting pattern. people always seem to use the pre-quilted gold lame stuff.
I have tried real hard to Replicate those costumes as close as possible for years. The problem is the gold is actually not lame, it's "pleather" and the gold coloring is light. I couldn't find the right material so I replicated it by adhering lamee to vinyl. I did the same with the black PVC fabric for the wings as I could not locate the correct thickness for those either.

Here is the last set I made:
2179-riff-magenta-space-suits.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I would so totally make that outfit. Is it gold or silver? I can't tell from the B/W photo, and I've never seen the movie.
LOL! The hair is based on the Bride of Frankenstien which is of course based on the bust in your avatar.

It's a light gold. Very art Deco, huh?

Last edited:
I have been working on a pattern for the basic black corset that Tim Curry's character, Frank wears. It turned out pretty good I think, but the back never got drafted, just the front.

2180-frank-n-furter-victorian-replica-corset-without-decoration.jpg

The quilt pattern is fairly easy to replicate. It's just finding the right material and quilting it yourself.

Wow such sexy costumes.

The quilt pattern is fairly easy to replicate. It's just finding the right material and quilting it yourself.

Wow such sexy costumes.
Yes, the pattern is relatively easy to do and there are enough images to be accurate. The fill is 1/4 inch foam. Batting is to loose and drapes.

I performed with the Harvard Square cast for 10+ years (& am still in contact with the group even though I live in Texas now). My first love is Columbia (a sequin covered tap dancer? yes please!) but I won awards for my Magenta as well & made several Frank & Janet costumes for others. Here's a pic of me in my Columbia costume (best full length I could find):

phillycon-2002-day-2-rocky-015.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back