The Rocky Horror Picture Show costume discussion

Though I haven't made one yet my son wants to do a Rocky costume so I did a little research. Didn't take TOO long as there are several websites out there. The original shorts are at The Hardrock Cafe. Which one I'm not sure but here are some pix. A cheatsheet for color coordinating the rhinestones as well. I was going to use a metallic spandex but to me it looks like they painted leather gold. OBTW, one is 21 the others 19 and 18. My 19 year old has the physique for Rocky he just needs blue contacts.

View attachment 33500

View attachment 33501

View attachment 33502

View attachment 33503

View attachment 33504

Though I haven't made one yet my son wants to do a Rocky costume so I did a little research. Didn't take TOO long as there are several websites out there. The original shorts are at The Hardrock Cafe. Which one I'm not sure but here are some pix. A cheatsheet for color coordinating the rhinestones as well. I was going to use a metallic spandex but to me it looks like they painted leather gold. OBTW, one is 21 the others 19 and 18. My 19 year old has the physique for Rocky he just needs blue contacts.

View attachment 33500

View attachment 33501

View attachment 33502

View attachment 33503

View attachment 33504
Yes, you are correct. The trunks are gold painted leather. There was a place in Sacramento that had the leather. Oh...and as important as what is seen is what is not. Peter Hinwood was wearing an athletic supporter with a cup.

I've been DYING to make a Magenta costume. Not any one in specific. Just a Magenta costume. I love the maid costume and the end costume, but her see-though evening dress is also a lot of fun.

Was just at Ross....they have a number of women's boots that are in black sued and with a little adjustment could be very good replica Magenta boots.

Yes, you are correct. The trunks are gold painted leather. There was a place in Sacramento that had the leather. Oh...and as important as what is seen is what is not. Peter Hinwood was wearing an athletic supporter with a cup.

Funny you mention a cup. I was going to sew in a pocket to put one in. :lol You recall the place they had the gold leather in sack of tomatoes? I was gonna just paint mine. :love

Funny you mention a cup. I was going to sew in a pocket to put one in. :lol You recall the place they had the gold leather in sack of tomatoes? I was gonna just paint mine. :love
It's not sewn in actualy. If you look at the shot of Rocky flexing just at the end where Frank drops to the floor you see a good shot of the back. You can see the line of waitband which apears to be too large for the actor. Also the the back is low.

I believe the place that I remember having it was
LEATHERS BY MARY TERRY
CA, 95814 SACRAMENTO, 1028 2ND STREET SUITE 28 At least according to the map this is the place where I remember it being.

Don't forget the gold boxing boots.

PeterHinwoodasRockyHorror.jpg

I have been working on a pattern for the basic black corset that Tim Curry's character, Frank wears. It turned out pretty good I think, but the back never got drafted, just the front.

2180-frank-n-furter-victorian-replica-corset-without-decoration.jpg
This ended up in the new bluray version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show on one of the fans cast to shadow the film in Picture in Picture. It's seen better days.

It's not sewn in actualy. If you look at the shot of Rocky flexing just at the end where Frank drops to the floor you see a good shot of the back. You can see the line of waitband which apears to be too large for the actor. Also the the back is low.

I believe the place that I remember having it was
LEATHERS BY MARY TERRY
CA, 95814 SACRAMENTO, 1028 2ND STREET SUITE 28 At least according to the map this is the place where I remember it being.

Thanks for the leather tip. I'll have to check it out. Am part of the props crew now in Livermore. "The TimeWarp Cartel" They Play RHPS every first friday nite of the month. There is usually a theme each week to keep it fresh.:love This March is Luao nite.

Having seen some of the folks that used to go to midnight showings in Pittsburgh I guarantee that nothing physical is required lol. This is one franchise were nobody blinks if you're a 300 lb rocky or Frankenfurter.

i was googling on some new frank shoes, when i found a pic of his corset that leas me to this thread so i thought i would post my costume hehehe,

196109_10150105568811157_690341156_6901691_7342849_n.jpg

the corset was custom made by a friend and i spent 2-3 months sewing & glueing sequins to it. the gloves were socks that i bought (shot with silver lame) and chopped up, i didnt hem them unfortuantly and the frayed like ****! Below are a pair of shoes i bought and modified (you have no idea how hard it was finding UK Size 13 high heels that were a screen acrruate model I also have a cape that i made from silver/black satin with a stand up collar crafted from wire & card.

DSC01151.jpg

i would appreciate any help and advice on these shoes as the heel was modded out of card & black gaffa tape and it doesnt support my foot very well,

i highly reccomend the anal retentive rocky horror costume list, for anyone who wants to seriously do a rocky horror costume, i used this site for info on my sweet T costume and it has been ivaluable for super deatiled descriptions & images.

http://www.rockyhorrorcostumelist.info/index.html

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my lovely wife Rachel in her Columbia costume,

40052_456357636778_717491778_6204174_3460981_n.jpg

and one of my proudest moments...

45743_457615136778_717491778_6233317_4450519_n.jpg

Long story short, I work for ex Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul here in Dallas.
We are friends with Scott Ian from Anthrax, who is married to Pearl, who is Meatloaf's daughter. That and Dimebag's guitar tech Grady now works with Meatloaf....so we got the super rare chance to meet him backstage which is something he almost NEVER does!!!

Thanks.

21559_292573476778_717491778_4436077_5940271_n.jpg

BTW, here is my old cast ID card from when I worked Rocky at the FORUM-303 MALL in Arlington, Texas (gone now) under "Pepper's Cast".
We were voted one of the best in the country and Sal Piro and Tim Curry
had actually visited us and said so, this was in the late 80's, early 90's.

Cool side story, my now wife Rachel played Columbia during this time, but we never dated or really knew each other back then. Just cast mates.
It was over 20 years later that we rediscovered each other at a party
and fell in love, the rest is history!!!

If you want to see the coolest wedding video of all time,
check this out: YouTube - Videobob & Rachel's Wedding with Steel Panther in Las Vegas 01/01/11

When I used to go see RHPS on a regular basis, it was before I had ever heard of places like the RPF or knew of cosplay. I just threw on blue pjs, any blue pjs, dyed my hair red and called myself Columbia. Such innocent times, when the word "accuracy" never entered my head:lol:lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back