TIE Interceptor

Cheers Dave,
I have also just emailed a friend that has contacts at ILM to see if he can get any inside info. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

To be honest, I believe the original ILM TIE color was discontinued. This is one of two paint colors that is very very close.

Dave :)

Cheers Dave,
I have also just emailed a friend that has contacts at ILM to see if he can get any inside info. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Pactra Stormy Sea Blue, discontinued... new color Tamiya TS-32 Haze Gray

Dave, Julien et al,

I do not want to hijack this thread, and please also pardon my ignorance, but had the Double Chili Dog (a.k.a. TIE Bomber) been painted in the same color when built for "Empire"?

Thanks,
Falk

Last edited:
all the various types of TIE's are painted the same color.

Thanks mate - just wondering since some of them TIE ships from Empire and even more from Jedi look quite bluish in most official pictures compared to the pale gray paint of the Star Wars builds.

Cheers,
Falk

Yeah depending on how intense the light and what type of lighting is used........goes from a deep blue to an almost white color. Very cool color. :)

The models were painted the same colour from ANH to ROTJ. The white/gray on-screen look in ANH was due to the blue-screen proscessing, which removed enough of the blue spectrum from the image to render the TIEs white.

It may have been a case of fixing something 'wrong' as far as the productions were concerned, but I remember in 1980 it took a little getting used to! All we knew was what we'd seen on-screen in Star Wars: TIEs were white! :lol

The models were painted the same colour from ANH to ROTJ. The white/gray on-screen look in ANH was due to the blue-screen proscessing, which removed enough of the blue spectrum from the image to render the TIEs white.

It may have been a case of fixing something 'wrong' as far as the productions were concerned, but I remember in 1980 it took a little getting used to! All we knew was what we'd seen on-screen in Star Wars: TIEs were white! :lol

Are you sure about the ANH TIE ? I've read they were painted blue but due to the chromakeying (limited at this time) they had to tone it down with some gray ? And in ROTJ you can see gray and blue TIE's (but I dont know if the gray ones are old ANH TIE's). This subject is very interesting !!

From this far away (New Zealand), I'm not 100% sure of anything! :lol

I'm just going on what's available. There's a passage in Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy which goes something like 'The Ties were painted a light blue, almost powder blue, but because gray values were lost in printing the Ties appeared much whiter on movie-house screens'. It may even say a 'light gray-blue' (that's from memory, as I can't find my copy right now).

And that was published in 1979, before TESB, when there was only one movie and it was called Star Wars!

Then there's the bit in SAG, where Lorne Peterson says they weren't allowed any blue on the models, but that "the TIE fighter's Stormy Sea squeaked through thanks to the amount of gray in the mix". I think if you see both gray and blue TIEs on screen in Jedi it has more to do with slight variations in colour timing during compositing.

Hence why the industry has abandoned traditional blue screen for the currently used neon green screen. Causes far less problems for filming.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back