BTTF Plutonium Case Thread

Would anyone be able to post a pic of the black Anvil plaque that is on the lower right corner of the case. A pic of the modern plaque would even be great. Dimensions of it would really help also.

I recently picked up a used transit case with all the right metal parts to build myself a plutonium case. Some of the trim pieces aren't screen accurate but I will look for replacements as this progresses.

I was looking for some help with the rivets. I have a pop-rivet tool (the rivets with the holes in the middle) but I do not know how to make the the rivets that have a smooth head. I did some goog'lin on rivet types and there is a lot I can't decide between. I also wasn't able to find what kind of tool I would need to attach those types of rivets. I spoke to someone at a hardware store that said it might be pneumatic, does anyone know?

You can see the two type of rivets on the case I acquired!

13977439795550.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Oh and once the build gets going should I add to this thread or start a new?

Good day.

I recently picked up a used transit case with all the right metal parts to build myself a plutonium case. Some of the trim pieces aren't screen accurate but I will look for replacements as this progresses.

I was looking for some help with the rivets. I have a pop-rivet tool (the rivets with the holes in the middle) but I do not know how to make the the rivets that have a smooth head. I did some goog'lin on rivet types and there is a lot I can't decide between. I also wasn't able to find what kind of tool I would need to attach those types of rivets. I spoke to someone at a hardware store that said it might be pneumatic, does anyone know?

You can see the two type of rivets on the case I acquired!

View attachment 312893

Thanks for the help!

Oh and once the build gets going should I add to this thread or start a new?

Good day.

A "smooth head" rivet would be a solid rivet - not the hollow "pop" rivet.

To set a solid rivet, you need a pneumatic hammer and a "bucking bar" - the bucking bar is set against the head of the rivet already formed (the "factory head,") and the pneutmatic hammer is used to form the opposite head from the unformed end (the "shop head.")

Setting solid rivets isn't easy, and you are well-advised to practise before trying to do it "for real" (you have to select the right size bucking bar, the right side hammer head, then not slip off the shop head and gouge the surface of whatever you're working on, ...)

Have you considered using the pop rivets, then using something like Lab-Metal (or other two-part metal-carrying fill compound) to fill in the holes, and dress/sand to final contour? With sanding discs chucked in a Dremel tool, you may find this a rather easier option. Lab-Metal - or an analogue - should be obtainable through a welding supply house or an MRO shop.

Thanks Jon, that is just the kind of info I was hoping for! Not having to buy extra tools for the build is a big plus especially if I won't be using it much afterward. After the weekend I should have some time to start taking the case apart and I'll post updates as I go. I found the stickers already, still need to source the Handle With Care label.
Thanks again!

I've been working on my case. I was waiting to post pics until I had the labels sorted but here it is as it stands now. I used a company here in England because the postage from Anvil was going to be a killer. They couldn't use the flat head rivets because they are not set up to do them and the case could be around an inch shorter which was my fault but apart from that I'm pleased so far.

Yes it was cheaper. The company was very helpful and spent a lot of time sourcing the correct smooth extrusion rather than using the one with grooves that most companies use these days. They also sourced the correct corner sections without the shoulder for the grooved part. They moved those to be further apart after those pics were taken to match the screen used case before they sent it to me. It also has the black badge on it in the lower left corner but I haven't taken a pic yet.

Hello Matt B, I too looked at Anvil, but the cost was a bit too high to justify. Sooo, I have a couple of questions, could you give me a ball park figure for how much the company you used charged? Secondly would you object to me contacting them and asking if they could build another one to your spec? Thanks very much

I had to pay quite a bit for mine because I had to pay the tooling charge for the foam insert. They will build one for you but I'm afraid I don't know how much it would be. I only know that it would be cheaper than mine. I did speak to them and they would make any further cases with a smaller measurement along the front as mine is a little bit too wide which was my fault. Give them a call for a chat. They are great to deal with.

I don't think that I still have them. I can measure it later today for you. The company also has them on file but like I said, I think the width needs to be changed.

For those interested, they will do the case for £300 or £275 without the insert. Postage is £12. It almost sounds like they have it as a product as they said "for a BTTF Replica Case"

Last edited:
Brought the following on Ebay for £25 after deciding to build my own case (£300 is too much for me unfortunately!) Its dimensions are wrong, too wide and deep, but all the hardware looks spot on. I can buy some plywood to remake the sides to the right size and just cut down the edging and rebuild - only issue is its too short! Not too sure what to do about that. The smooth rivets look like split/birficated rivets which I reckon I can fit new ones with a hammer and some sort of block on the other side. Metal work could do with a bit of a buff too.
$_57.JPG

Hey gang, first timer here (with an unnatural obsession with BTTF). I picked up a vintage Anvil case from Craigslist for $40. The dimensions weren't perfect, but close enough - it stands a little taller and is too skinny on the sides to fit radioactive stickers on both sides of the handles. But I was happy that it had handles in all the right places. All in, I probably spent $60 on everything.

The case was blue, so I had the fun task of masking off the trim and applying a few coats of spray paint.

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpeg

Here it is before and after a light sanding.

image6.jpegimage7.jpegimage8.jpegimage9.jpeg

And the completed case.

image10.jpegimage11.jpeg

Random fun fact: I grew up in Northern California, about an hour from Sonora where Part III was filmed. When production ended they opened up the set to the public. It was an amazing experience, and I remember seeing bullet holes in the saloon's floorboards where Marty moonwalks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back