BTTF Plutonium Canister Replica

formula388

After Roland posted his replica plutonium labels, I ordered materials to make my own canister. (See this thread for labels)
I finally got around to CNC mill a prototype end cap and the fit is awesome!

Here are progress pictures, the outer tube is 3"x6" and the inner tube is 1 1/4"x6"
I think I got the offset of the inner tube pretty good.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Future plans are:
CNC mill another endcap for the top
Fill with some sort of fake water... something that will harden and still look like water, but not yellow over time.
Cut the "plutonium" out of red acrylic rod, adhere a clear acrylic rod to the top and where the seam is, use Rolands labels.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,477
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,530
Last edited:
Very nice work so far :cheers
for the "water" maybe you can use 2 part clear casting acrylic with a slight tint,
pour very fast to try to capture some air bubbles,

That's great. Can't wait for the results. :)

If you need any pictures of the original prop, just tell me. By the way: I've just noticed, that there must be two different original capsules. The capsules shown on "Profiles in History", the sci-fi exhibition in Paris and on "ScreenUsed.com" seems to look the same, but the prop which is currently for sale by Prop Store has another top and bottom. Maybe one of those versions is static and the other one is turnable? Which one will you use for your replica?

bttf-plutonium-canister-replica-different_capsules1.jpg-240759d1381373699

And a closer view:

bttf-plutonium-canister-replica-different_capsules2.jpg-240760d1381373724

Attachments

• different_capsules1.jpg
    different_capsules1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 10,966
  • different_capsules2.jpg
    different_capsules2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 4,226
Roland, I THINK I see what you are talking about but lets clarify... In the "Profiles in History", the sci-fi exhibition in Paris and on "ScreenUsed.com" it looks to me as though the inner tube goes through the top and bottom? Yet in the prop store, the inner tube is glued to the inside of the top and bottom plate?
It also appears as though the thickness of the one from the prop store uses thinner materials. Is this all true?
If those are the same differences that you see, I plan on going with the "Profiles in History", the sci-fi exhibition in Paris and on "ScreenUsed.com" versions. If I missed the differences PLEASE point them out to me!
Thanks for the reference photos. Any good screen captures of this prop? For example, how high should the water go up?

Here is how my current top plate looks. It is all perfectly flush at top.

photo.JPG

Last edited:
I can see that the "screen used.com" model has a much thicker base..it really looks wrong.

Also it looks like they glued two pieces of rod together, a red rod with a clear tip and used the radioactive label to hide the seam.

Rich

I also get the impression that the bottom plate was rigged to hold the rod and when placed in the car and turned it THEN let the rod drop in.

So my bet is the base plate (with a hole) turns and is a little wider than the tube so that it would jam into a tapered pocket and allow turning.

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

Do you have any evidence of that happening? I was always under the impression that these were static props that used a lil movie magic to make the plutonium get "sucked" into the chamber.

Also, here is my progress on this:
IMG_20131010_134449_330.jpg

I can see that the "screen used.com" model has a much thicker base..it really looks wrong. ...

That's not a thicker base ... that's the rest of the water which has slowly evaporated. over the years. ;)

Do you have any evidence of that happening? I was always under the impression that these were static props that used a lil movie magic to make the plutonium get "sucked" into the chamber. ...

Why using movie "magic", if you can have it easier. The technology behind the capsules is very easy: you have three tubes, two bottoms (an outer thin and an inner thick one) and one (thick) top. The middle tube is attached to the thick top and the thick inner bottom, the thin inner tube goes completely through this middle tube, but ends at the hole of the thick inner bottom. The outer tube is attached to its own thin bottom with its own hole.

If you turn the top (with the two inner tubes) so that the two bottom holes are not on top of each other, it holds the "Plutonium core" in the capsule. But if you turn the top so that the two bottom holes overlap, the core slips through.

I know my english is bad, but I hope it's still understandable. :$

Here is a closer view, where you can see, that the middle tube has it's own thick bottom:

bttf-plutonium-canister-replica-capsule_two_bottoms.jpg-241407d1381495897

Attachments

• capsule_two_bottoms.jpg
    capsule_two_bottoms.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,145
Okay, so I understand that it can be done by making two discs, and when the holes line up the plutonium falls. BUT, I have a few concerns with this method.
1) What holds the bottom thin disc that will allow it to turn inside the outer tube?
2) What stops the bottom thin disc from falling when picking it up?
3) When turning the canister, wouldn't the "plutonium core" fall partially, then stop at the ring at which it is being centered with, then fall all the way when the holes line up?

On a side note;
The top plate should be flush with the 3" tube?
The bottom plate should be raised slightly to possibly allow for a thin turning disc?

Also, is the way I have it setup currently correct? Should the inner tube go through the top and bottom plate? or should it sit flush underneath them? It looks like in some pictures it is done the way I did it, and in some pics it is glued to the underneath. I am trying for this to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks,
Dennis

I agree with Roland, he said it right.

Watching the film and Doc picks up a container and the rod does not fall out. He then carries it to the car and pops it in to the reactor and turns it until the rod drops.

I feel the best way to pull that off is with a two part bottom as Roland said.

This works IF that was a one take scene with no cuts..other wise there could have been two cylinders, one with a fixed rod and one with the loose rod for dropping.

Rich

Rich

Okay, so I understand that it can be done by making two discs, and when the holes line up the plutonium falls. BUT, I have a few concerns with this method.
1) What holds the bottom thin disc that will allow it to turn inside the outer tube?

That is a very good question and I can see no pin or other mounting.

As above.

3) When turning the canister, wouldn't the "plutonium core" fall partially, then stop at the ring at which it is being centered with, then fall all the way when the holes line up?

I guess I will have to watch the film again. I am leaning towards the switched tubes now.

On a side note;
The bottom plate should be raised slightly to possibly allow for a thin turning disc?

Also, is the way I have it setup currently correct? Should the inner tube go through the top and bottom plate? or should it sit flush underneath them? It looks like in some pictures it is done the way I did it, and in some pics it is glued to the underneath. I am trying for this to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks,
Dennis

I will take a look at the film later this afternoon.

Rich

Well sad to say my set are NOT blue ray.

But watching the loading scene I still see a double bottom.

And the rod does hang up for a second until Doc turns it a little bit more than it drops in.

All though that scene it looks like there could be a double bottom.

Rich

The bottom thin disc is attached to the outer tube and can't be turned. The middle tube with its thick bottom is turnable (when you turn the top plate). The two bottoms of the two tubes don't need to touch each other (I think it's even better if they don't touch).

As I said: It's permanently welded to the outer tube.

Depends on the turning speed. That ring is so thin - if you turn fast enough, the two holes line up before the ring reaches the holes.

Yes, as you can see it on the photos. The top plate has the same diameter as the outer tube. I wouldn't wonder if the top plate is attached to the outer tube with some kind of turnable thread.

The thick bottom of the middle tube is turnable (together with the middle tube and the top) and doesn't touch the thin bottom of the outer tube. The thin bottom isn't turnable. It's permanently welded to the outer tube.

Should the inner tube go through the top and bottom plate?

Yes, but only through the thick bottom of the middle tube. So the middle tube is completely closed (side walls, thick top and bottom and the inner tube) and you can fill in water or any other fluid (before you close it of course ;)).

There is a problem with your idea, Doc turns the canister from the out side edge and it all turns..then it drop in rod in.

Funny they must have dubbed in special sound as it sounds like GLASS within the film.

Rich

The bottom thin disc is attached to the outer tube and can't be turned. The middle tube with its thick bottom is turnable (when you turn the top plate). The two bottoms of the two tubes don't need to touch each other (I think it's even better if they don't touch).

As I said: It's permanently welded to the outer tube.

Depends on the turning speed. That ring is so thin - if you turn fast enough, the two holes line up before the ring reaches the holes.

Yes, as you can see it on the photos. The top plate has the same diameter as the outer tube. I wouldn't wonder if the top plate is attached to the outer tube with some kind of turnable thread.

The thick bottom of the middle tube is turnable (together with the middle tube and the top) and doesn't touch the thin bottom of the outer tube. The thin bottom isn't turnable. It's permanently welded to the outer tube.

Should the inner tube go through the top and bottom plate?

Yes, but only through the thick bottom of the middle tube. So the middle tube is completely closed (side walls, thick top and bottom and the inner tube) and you can fill in water or any other fluid (before you close it of course ;)).

Funny they must have dubbed in special sound as it sounds like GLASS within the film.

:lol 99% of most sound effects outside of vocals in films are added later in post production ... and more than often, even voices have to be looped in.

There is a problem with your idea, Doc turns the canister from the out side edge and it all turns..then it drop in rod in. ...

He holds and turns the edge of the top plate. I don't see the outer tube turning. So everything is well with my idea. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice clip.

But I still see Doc turning the outer part of the tube.

I ran it over and over again and again do stop frames and so on, and there is some minor detailing on the out side that turns with the top.

Sorry.

Rich

- - - Updated - - -

Sound effects yes, but practical sounds only if needed, doors opening and closing, classes being set down.

I found it funny they bothered to doctor the sound of the rod being dropped into the car.

Plastic works just as well as glass...

Rich

:lol 99% of most sound effects outside of vocals in films are added later in post production ... and more than often, even voices have to be looped in.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back