Announcement for 1/8 scale rare donor parts

Can anyone confirm if this part was chopped and used on the ESB Falcon?Someone PMed me with this photo saying the parts were used on the top/front of the mandibles.Also,can some of you other guys out there put your heads together and get acurate measurements/dimensions of the round vents that on the engine deck?If you can I can have someone make me a master and I can make a mold and copies for anyone who wants/needs them.

GrillParts.jpg

I put a post up with a pasted photo but it isn't staying up there.Somone PMed me saying a 6th part is used from the Porsche kit on the top/front of the mandibles.I don't recall the part# but it is the top engine cover/part.Its pretty big.Can anyone confim this?

New update guys.After weeks of waiting and back ordering...the silicone finally came in,$40.00 for a 1lb kit.So now comes the time where I remove the parts from the kit sprue and figure out how to mold the parts.Really though,the only part that may prove troublesome will be the transmission halves.Most all my model building supplies are in storge,I haven't built in a long time which really gets to me at times.Mostly just some clean up on the parts,a good scrubbing with dish detergent and maybe some quick fixes to include in the mld for pouring of resin.I do mean to cast them just as they are in kit form and not to make them solid casts.The other parts will be solid casted parts in the end.No real need to make 2-part molds for those small parts.Stand by for miore updates.I'll post more pictures when the molds are being made/finished.

John, a guy named Mensaboy on RI posted a vid on how he casted the transmission parts hollow with a one part mold if you're interested... That asks a bit more time per part (depends of your resin), about 5-10 min...

I'd be very interested.Is there a link to his tutorial?Anything to help cut costs,but as you know...with short cuts there is always a trade off.It may use less silicone,but take longer to mold.The urethane resin I'll be using sets up in about 5-7 minutes (temperature depending).

Last edited:
When I cast up the parts for Julien I tried what beaz did for something different & worked really well which I knew it would. Try this technique. I think this is your best bet for a good result. Big thanks to beaz for this technique & his photos.

When I cast up the parts for Julien I tried what beaz did for something different & worked really well which I knew it would. Try this technique. I think this is your best bet for a good result. Big thanks to beaz for this technique & his photos.

my method is for one-offs really
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZ0-iz3A88

for making many parts with a flat face i really like the above method better - it would definitely work well for the tranny halves

Thanks for the links and the photos,they will be helpful.I've seen the other technique before(I sorta forgot about it).The other kind of reminds me of a slush mold.I'll see what I can do.I've got a busy weekend comming up.My car broke down about 2 weeks ago and I'll be installing a new coolent pump(not a fun job).Hopefully I'll get things rolling soon.Thanks again guys and stand by for more updates.

Hey everyone,just a small update to let everyone know what's going on.School started for me this week,so things have been chaotic to say the least.Worse news (at least for me) is I have some potentially serious dental issues.I haven't been to a dentist in five years and it seems to have caught up to me and things are looking like they will need to do some surgery.One tooth is going to cost me about $3,000.00 and I'm half thinking I'd just rather have them pull it out for $100.00.Probably not the best of choices,but since the tooth is "F^$!$*ed" in general,it's not much worth keeping I.M.O.

Its hard being a student w/no dental insurance and a job that doesn't offer any.Much of it due to no one will give anyone "full-time" hours these days.Even if they could,I wouldn't be able to swing full time with my current scheduel.

This three day weekend I am going to try to get to builing the mold boxes for the Falcon parts if not mix&pour the silicone as well.I've been in a great deal of discomfort for the last 6-8 weeks,but since much of the pain has subsided I feel I can get some things accomplished.Many thanks for your patientce and understanding and I'll keep you updated on the Falcon molds.

Last edited:
That's cool mate, I'm in no hurry for the parts, I'm sure you'll get them done when you can.
Yep teeth cost the earth these days, my wife has spent NZ$ 3000 on one tooth and gold to boot!. Tooth was worth saving though, If yours is stuffed it may as well come out dude!. Now I need to go, god knows what they'll find lol!.
Stu

Hey guys,a quick update.I uncrated "The Lost Ark" today and took some rough measurments to make the mold boxes.I'll be having Tap Plastics cut the parts out for me.It shouldn't cost much of anything,they can cut the parts from scrap because the pieces required are realtively small.I also got a more pin pointed price on parts.There are a total of 144 parts in this kit(excluding decals) making the 5 cast parts for the Falcon $40.00,so I just need to add the cost of RTV and get a close estimate/cost of resin in there and we will be *golden*.I'm thinking that the parts will only use about half of the 1lb. RTV kit leaving me with some left over to use for other parts.I'm guestimating around 1oz. or resin per pour for all 5 parts.

Below are some photos.The guy I bought the kit from "made" a box for it out of fiber board&wood.It's pretty awesome.And the kit....flawless.It's almost a crime to even think about opening the packaging and removing the parts from the sprue.There are the "essential parts" needed for you Falcon builders out there.The transmission halves,top of the engine block(haven't worked out how I'll be molding that one yet) and parts B15 and B19 I think they are?I'll feel guilty as hell when I start putting this little gem together.

P.S: I could be mistaken,but look at the photo after the transmission parts and look above the B15 and B19 parts.There are two parts in there(part of the exhaust I believe) and I swear I have seen those parts on the Falcon.Can someone take a look at them and tell me what you think?If they are required,it be good to confirm that now so I can mold all of the parts together.

Last edited:
PS:does anyone need any Testors glue?I found these in the box and they look like they've been in there for about 30 years,the 39 cent price sticker is still on them.

Quick update guys,I did some shopping at Tap Plastics ($40.00 worth of supplies)acrylic for making mold boxes,mixing silicone&resin.I'll see what I can get done tonight.If I don't finish tonight I should have everything done before next weekend and I should be pouring silicone by/before then too.

Last edited:
No it's still a go.I've been back&fourth to the dentist since January.I've been having some greuling work done,and they are still working on a root canal and crown(plus some other work).I've been pretty uncomfortable(and in some degree of pain) over these last few months.I can't describe to you how much it hurts when your tooth keeps getting re-infected after work is done on it.I've been on pain meds and antibiotics.This just further solitifies how much I hate going to the dentist,but at the same time...I have to take some responsibility for the damage that was done.I should also have some time freed up after the semester ends,so please bear with me.

Last edited:
Im hearin you on the Dentist thing. Ive been lucky & only been to the dentist like 5 times in my life. The last time I had to have all 4 wisdom teeth out at the same time as they had all dissintergrated. There was no way I was going to let some dentist screw around in my my moth with freakn plyers so I opted for the sugeical alternative & was a sleep through the whole procedure. it was that or homicide. I hate my teeth bein messed with. :confused Well Im still hunting for this kit. missed out on a couple while Iwas a sleep(Got Sniped :ninja) just picked up the Entex 1/8 JPS last week. Keep us posted & good luck with your teeth

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back