SS AT-AT armature

MonsieurTox

Master Member
Hey guys,

After the TESB AT-ST armature, we're planning to offer an AT-AT armature, while this thread is not an interested thread, feel free to post if you would like one but be aware that it wont be cheap (at least $2000). And it would take sometime before completion.

Any help for this project would be great (pics of the armature -not of the prototype- etc...).

I would also ask if anyone here knows a way to contact Jon Berg or/and Tom St-Amand ?

Thanks !

Interest list (in the order you posted here or pm'ed me) :

1- qcfoundry
2- Imaginager
3- Moffeaton
4- MonsieurTox
5- Ralphee
6- SWpropmaker
7- Sandcrawler
8- Guy Cowen
9- JPolacchi (depending on price)
10- Dragnink
11- Locke_333
12- mbmcfarland
12- -... . .- --..
13- swfan
14- Darth Vinicius
15- Anonymous 1
16- Anonymous 2
17- Anonymous 3 (2 armatures)

Last edited:
Now that would be impressive, expensive and hard to engineer, but an impressive project to say the least Julien. Now would this be a direct copy of the parts layout as seen in publications such as 'ILM the art of special effects' with ball & socket joints or a similar deal?. Either way it will be a killer project J.
Stu

Thanks guys !

Yes Matt, Quincy will turn my poor drawings into professional drawings ! He has a lot of experience with the AT-ST now :)

Now that would be impressive, expensive and hard to engineer, but an impressive project to say the least Julien. Now would this be a direct copy of the parts layout as seen in publications such as 'ILM the art of special effects' with ball & socket joints or a similar deal?. Either way it will be a killer project J.
Stu

Hey Stu, the only ball and socket joint I see is the one which link the foot to the lower leg !

so matt...
you make the tough choice...

for 2K you get an WHOLE armature...or just the foot! lol

gents, i agree, $2K sounds like a lot...but, i feel, this project may take a while. looking at the creation of the AT-ST, my revisions started at the end of February and we are just NOW all finally getting our finished product (thats with my wedding in there, which won't be happening ever again so minus 3/4 month of time). Thats roughly 6 months total. In addition, I was basically only CLEANING UP version 1 of the chicken, while this guy is a version 1, so lots of deciphering of pictures, reconfirming of dimensions, figuring best engineering vs. authentic prop design.....NOT to mention the size of this SOB.

We all have other projects (as usual). I wold be amazed if we got the design and drawing done in 9 months....not to mention bidding it out, getting it fabricated, and shipped.

Then again..
perhaps the winds will be fair, and lots of ppl will chip in, we'll have terrific reference....lots of variables.

Point:
Even if it is a lot, you have time to hide away a weekly ration for the eventual cost.

Food for thought.

Doubt I'd be ale to aford it,but seeing the At-At armmature/ studio scale At-At would be pretty awsome.Don't know if it's possible to contact John Berg or Tom St. Armond?Are they still working for/at Lucas Film/ILM?Would it be a good idea to do so even if you could?It might put the legal dogs of Lucas Film on you and it could also possibly bring them here to the RPF,which may not be a great thing for some guys who have made S.S kits.Look what they've done to SMT and a few other guys..they got *spanked* pretty hard.

Last edited:
No one's gonna get spanked for designing their own armature and paying to have it machined, identifying kit parts, and scratch-building their own replica.

It's not my project, I'm just sayin...

Last edited:
John, Im with Allan, I dont think Lucas can do anything about that since we're not breaking the rules... Just making a replica for ourselves and we dont make any money ! And Im sure Job Berg or Tom St-Amand would be glad to have a talk about armature engineering.

Anyway the project is on its way, Ive almost finished the first drawing. I cant wait to see what Quincy will do with them !

Matt, that's a very cool thing ! 2K is a good deal for such an item ! Piece of history ;)

I've got a contact that knows Berg, and I've hopefully gotten that ball rolling. Also, we might be looking at the cost being as "low" as $1,500 - but until the machine shop(s) can quote/bid on the project, it's still conjecture.

But with Tox & QC on this, it'll be crazy-amazing!

Like all prop runs of this nature, there's a minimum number of slots to fill as well as a maximum number that the shop will be willing to make for the run, so if you're thinking about wanting this, speak up, and bear in mind, you have some time to save up. This one will not happen overnight!

Good news about Berg Jason !

You're right there will be a limited number of slots. 10, 15, 20, I dont know... But we're pretty to get the 10 slots filled.

There are about 100 parts per armature.

I keep the ones interested posted.

Will Mike K. be machining these or is a new shop being looked into?

I'm definitely interested, I'll throw an e-mail off to Roy Sutherland and see if he can get in touch with Steve Gawley (who when they met had an original unpainted machined AT-AT leg). This was right before ILM closed so no guarantees...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back