EFX TIE Interceptor

I personally have no animosity, I'm used to critiques of anything I'm working on.

But I think the general feel is that we got pretty close to the original, going by only pictures, yet some can't even get close by having the original sitting right in front of them.

So you can see where that might generate animosity.

No, I don't. What?

Why would YOU care that they have access but put out an allegedly inferior product, while you with only photo references do a better job? Why would that make you angry at them? I would think that would make you proud of yourselves!

_Mike

No, I don't. What?

Why would YOU care that they have access but put out an allegedly inferior product, while you with only photo references do a better job? Why would that make you angry at them? I would think that would make you proud of yourselves!

_Mike

I don't care, and I'm not angry at them. In fact, to be honest, I don't really know much about these models, I just take the blueprints and reference provided to me and build them, because I love to do it. And if it ends up looking like what I saw on the screen, I'm happy.

But others take criticism differently and I'm just trying to smooth things over here and try to explain the negativity.

Accurate replica is all but an oxymoron. And based on a certain x-wing offering I'm unconvinced of their adoption and application of the term.

I understand what you're doing, and I understand you're not angry. I'm just following your line. You presented a situation, the conclusion of which was that others would be upset - that didn't follow as I read it.

I went through something like this with my CG R2-D2. My fanmade one was better than ILM's. They had access, I didn't. Eventually I got hired to do him for LFL because of it. But if they had said mine was inaccurate, I don't think I would've been upset because a) they were wrong, and b) who gives a ****?

In this case, you were conceding point 'a.' (Yours might be inaccurate.)

If you're conceding the point, then it sounds to me like what's upsetting is that they're right, and you don't want to hear that. But if you've done a great job even without access, that could as easily be a place of pride, and not what sounds like jealousy. No?

_Mike

I guess for a company that knows from the get go that they will not be selling an accurate replica because of licensing issues, it seems a little absurd for them to be bad-mouthing another's project. Behind their backs, as it were. I said a number of pages ago that such feedback would have been welcomed in the threads. But it didn't come through that channel.

You guys sound awfully thin-skinned to me when you say it like that. You're either proud of what you do, full stop, or you're not. If you're proud and you know you've done a good job, then you've no reason to be bothered by it. You can dismiss it as petty. I'm ignoring for a moment that all these 8th-grade girl antics are going on from people who are not officially part of eFX, nor have specific accusations leveled against them, nor have opportunity to defend themselves. I'm letting all that go because it doesn't change that you could as easily choose to be laughing the whole thing off. That's one of the nice things we earn for doing a really good job and being proud of it. Nobody can take that away from us. It truly sounds like bitterness and jealousy, which if yours is as good as you say, then there's no reason for!

_Mike

No. It's not the standard. Billy Brooks, who did it while he was up at the Rebel Unit, had 19 weeks start to finish. I had a couple of years. He knew of mine, and knew it was better, so when he was contacted to do an exploded view of R2 for the Visual Dictionary, he recommended me instead. That's how I met Don Bies (he's the one who hired me) and it was the first time I got to officially work on a Star Wars thing... circle complete, and all that.

But bottom line, if someone at ILM had said mine was inaccurate, I would've laughed it off, knowing better. I guess I could've gotten bitter about it, and made excuses, "Oh yeah? Well I don't have access to real ones... etc." But...? It just comes off insecure and jealous.

So that's what I'm saying.

_Mike

Mike, get this through your head: we've never made any such claim that our S1 is the end all be all. We know it isn't. It can't be. We don't have that kind of access. It's absurd that efx are threatened enough with all their access that they need to badmouth our project. Julien was quite constructive in his comments but you didn't laugh that off...

First of all, you can't level those sorts of accusations without proof. If you have a problem with one of eFX's employees, take it up with eFX. But let's say we grant you that eFX is "badmouthing" your project.

Why. Do. You. Care?

If you've done a great job, then who gives? They're wrong; they're crazy; whatever. ******, a homeless guy screamed at me on the street yesterday, too, but I'm not all bugged about it! You gotta put stuff in perspective. And there are all kinds of people in this world, some who are petty and some who badmouth. You can choose to just do a great job and rise above all that b.s.

And I wasn't "laughing off" Julien's comments because they weren't criticisms. They were personal attacks; a point which has been proven over and over in this thread since, especially now that we know that the whole THING is about people being personally bent out of shape!

Look, I'm no S1 expert but I think yours looks great. Sounds like you do, too. So who gives a **** what anyone says? I mean, you could just as well be ENJOYING the "badmouthing!"

_Mike

Last edited:
Ah, gotcha on the artoo. Still, I'd rather the version that showed up in a replica of a filming model be taken directly from the actual filming model.

And no. My small mindedness aside - I don't have to wear a corporate game face - the EFX x-wing exhibits characteristics such as their replica kit parts being oversized that call its accuracy into question. I presume EFX is being forced to sell compromises because of licensing issues. That's the point.

...their replica kit parts being oversized that call its accuracy into question. I presume EFX is being forced to sell compromises because of licensing issues. That's the point.

It is?

I know eFX isn't deliberately messing with parts for any "licensing issues." There might be some drift due to the manufacturing process, but bottom line:

Doesn't this increase the potential for yours to be more accurate? Don't you, therefore, "win?" I mean, I still don't get why this would be upsetting. Sounds like you get the last laugh when looked at it that way.

_Mike

Look, I'm no S1 expert but I think yours looks great. Sounds like you do, too. So who gives a **** what anyone says? I mean, you could just as well be ENJOYING the "badmouthing!"

_Mike

I think if it were any other project that would generally be the case, and no one would care.

Actually, I'm more disappointed than angry. And I do agree with you, Mike, we shouldn't care because I'm very happy with our effort, it's going to be incredible when it's finished.

But the S1 has a lot of back story to it, friendships were strained, contacts lost etc. It's an ongoing raw nerve, so people are on edge regarding it. Plus the fact that we asked, no begged for reference on it for years, from the people we know that knew about it. And now we hear those same people are saying it's inaccurate. I think it's just the irony of it.

It's like saying, "No, we won't help you, and now that it's done, you guys got it wrong, losers" Not that we deserve or expect to be helped, I would never presume to be entitled to any reference or knowledge that is out there.

Of course in the end, the only thing I would even admit to getting wrong would be the shape of the body, because ours is symmetrical and idealized, since at this point all the kit parts have been identified.

...we asked, no begged for reference on it for years, from the people we know that knew about it. And now we hear those same people are saying it's inaccurate.

Well if that's the case, then they sound like extremely petty people. Hardly worth worrying about. By the same token, it also does sound like the reason it hurts, is because it's true. Even if it's just a little true (the body shape you mention) if you're perfectionists, it cuts deep.

Either way, you only have so much energy to expend in this life. I'd say you might as well keep it all directed at your project, since you can neither change anyone else's attitudes or behaviours, and since you have very little to apologize for because of the quality of your work.

That's the fastest, and most prudent way to "smooth things out," I think.

ps. you have a wicked artoo.

'ppreciate that! Thank you!

_Mike

Last edited:
Well Bryan, i think you need to talk to your "team" and find out just who is going around spouting off about things being "innaccurate and wrong" with other folks projects, maybe without your knowing?

Passion and dedication, all good with me, the work you guys do, wonderful, who else is there besides the old MR group.....but, words get spoken behind closed doors, and just like the comments ive made that have upset you...these comments, upset me, and the "team" i belong to, seeing as this given project, took up a hell of a lot of "our" time, it does hurt one i guess.

You have every right to be proud of your group, they seem to work extremely hard, and bring to the collectors, a product Icons never could, so maybe respect needs to be given both ways here IMO.

Am i harsh? Yes, probably right to say so, am i harsh because im upset? Id say hell yes.....so again, the doors swings both ways Bryan!

lee

Hi Lee and Richard!

First, I want to make one thing perfectly clear WE ARE NOT MR! We are a different company with different strategies, principals, vision, etc. I think that if you look beyond our products, it is obvious that we are not MR.

As for who is saying things, if it did not come from Barry, Larry or I, it is NOT eFX. Please do not assume that anyone previously associated with MR is part of eFX.

One last point, if some one from eFX was discussing something about a prop "behind closed doors", they have every right to do so as long as it is not on a public forum. As I had stated before, I respect everyone's right to state their opinions, which I think you should, as well. A public forum should not be used to get "revenge" on something that may have been said privately. All I ask is that if you have an issue with something that was said privately, then please, address it privately with that person. By addressing your issue about what was said privately, in a public forum, then the readers of the forum only gets one side of the story, and most likely, it will be totally out of context. So, based on what you said, whether it involved an eFX team member or not, this is simply a discussion between 2 "prop enthusiasts" You do not have the right to censor what people say PRIVATELY. If there was a malicious intent, these statements would have been made publicly.

Thanks

Bryan

Last edited:
I understand your position, and I would never want to censor what anyone says privately about anything. I think it's unfair that your company's name was dragged into this petty thing.

It's all a matter of people expressing their opinions and their employers/contractors were mentioned in the process.

I hope there's no hard feelings here and I'm sorry this issue has derailed a thread about your product.

Last edited:
I understand your position, and I would never want to censor what anyone says privately about anything. I think it's unfair that your company's name was dragged into this petty thing.

It's all a matter of people expressing their opinions and their employers/contractors were mentioned in the process.

I hope there's no hard feelings here and I'm sorry this issue has derailed a thread about your product.

Thanks Richard!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back