EFX TIE Interceptor

Don't sweat it. First off, I'll bet I know a lot more actual Frenchmen than they do (I work with 14 on a software development team that I can think of off the top of my head, we've known each other and gotten along great for 5 years now, and we talk every single day on MSN) and number two, I'll gladly grant any Italian stereotypes they want to throw out - I can even lend a few if they're stumped. Plus, you can take shots at Americans if you like. Lots of easy targets there. (Fat, for starters.) Three - there is no number three. That's all I can think of.

_Mike

Ok you've got the biggest dick but dont forget that the most important thing is how you use it.

Oh yeah, and I still think they're just cheap shotting eFX, which is easy to do when you haven't actually tried to do mass appeal, mass replication of one of these models.

"Do or do not... there is no try."

I wonder...if you're contractually, or otherwise, prevented from using the "actual" dimensions taken from the filming model(s) to make your mass marketed item...does it really belong in Studio Scale?

I presume EFX must have been prevented from using the actual dims because they are so easy to verify and correct. Don't get me wrong, they do have - well, I dunno about "mass" appeal in today's economy - but enough appeal to justify a business case. But, it's not really about studio scale modeling at that point. It's about "selling" a compromise. Which is great for the 800-ish people who got the X-Wing. But, how many GK X-Wing kits have been sold over the last 4-5 years? Seems to me there's some "mass" appeal back in the garage, too. So, I think there's merit to comparing/critiquing the 2 types of product.

It is unfortunate that EFX couldn't have posted some constructive crits to the S1 threads that have appeared here. That other approach just doesn't reek of professionalism.

Last edited:
Given that.....

They don't need a fancy weathered paint job.
It's as basic as it can get.

The are no moving parts like the X-Wing.

There is no compelling reason for lights, and even then,
what? four simple LEDs for the engine.

There is no compelling reason to detail the hell out of the cockpit.

Anyone think this could be in the 500.00 range?

Given that.....

Nope!

lee

Well, and realistically, LFL has already taken their cut off the top from licensing. So, it's not like EFX is starting out without any costs to recoup!

I just like that lucasfilm can find someone to make quality product reproductions of their models. Compared to Icons, EFX is much better. Their red 5 wings won't droop and it all lights up. Much more for your money than Icons.

Up to RPF standards? - no. And that's what's to be expected. I've looked at most or all of the red 5's on RPF and don't see one that's nailed it either.

I still have an Icons TIE and it seems to be quality still. Got it for $600 and it still seems like a good investment. No weathering needed and it seems they got it right. At least to my eye it seems good. So I don't need a TIE Fighter.

That's my input...

Scott, TBH i dont think im really arguing at the fact we have a new company, willing to offer completed replicas to the (albeit miniscule) masses more power to them.

I think im arguing, that, why dont these guys use a bit of grey matter, and come up with a more original idea?
eFX come on the scene, new (meet the new boss same as the old boss) prop company and we all get hyped on what may come to light.

What do they do, release some Helmets that TBH, werent really needed (TIE pilot, ATAT driver etc etc would have been a wiser and bolder move) and then do an X wing...props on the X wing BTW, its nice, nothing amazing, but "nice" and nothing we hadnt seen before, lets be honest!

So, you kinda sit there, with anticipation, that we really will see something new, something fresh (you guys know im always down with that, im as obscure as hell lol) and what do they do?

Announce a TIE Interceptor, a prop that has only recently been nailed by John and Steve, and isnt all that for me, and thats MY opinion, im entitled to it too!

I just think bolder moves need to be made, and by that, i dont mean bold "expensive" moves either, come on, hands up, who would flip out if they showed us a proto TIE bomber, or a scaled Avenger or Medical Frigate at a rough $300 kinda figure, massive sales, low costs, all involved happy?

Its quite possible, that LFL do not want these props seeing the light of day, sure, and that makes my comments on eFX somewhat redundant, as the guys to blame, are the very creators (or should i say owners) of said props, i dont know...but playing it so safe and boring if you will, just feels a bit wet!

lee

The TIE bomber is what I really would love, as I've even started a thread about it! They could do that justice. There would be no reason to criticize other than size/kit parts. What would really be amazing is a Slave 1. The paint job is at least as complex as red 5. If they could do a killer job on that, I'd be amazed!

Lee: I wasn't really strictly referring to your argument. Just wanted to get my opinion out there about it. I respect all the opinions (except for when it gets personal). I totally agree with you about them using their brains and your suggestions for products.

I would love to see a replica with a realistic, lit cockpit, but that's just my preference. Not SS accurate, but something that seems real to me - combining the full scale and miniature. Something as I know it from the movies. Right there, it's not studio scale accurate, but I love it anyhow.

I should mention that they state in their newsletter that they're just posting the TIE Interceptor as one of their archive projects. They happened to post the pics of it, which I'm sure is going to be a measure of what people think of it - probably including this thread on RPF. I'll attach the newsletter to this just so we can all know what's up.

They're trying to get the juices flowing, and that seems to have worked - on us at least...

Scott, TBH i dont think im really arguing at the fact we have a new company, willing to offer completed replicas to the (albeit miniscule) masses more power to them.

I think im arguing, that, why dont these guys use a bit of grey matter, and come up with a more original idea?
eFX come on the scene, new (meet the new boss same as the old boss) prop company and we all get hyped on what may come to light.

What do they do, release some Helmets that TBH, werent really needed (TIE pilot, ATAT driver etc etc would have been a wiser and bolder move) and then do an X wing...props on the X wing BTW, its nice, nothing amazing, but "nice" and nothing we hadnt seen before, lets be honest!

So, you kinda sit there, with anticipation, that we really will see something new, something fresh (you guys know im always down with that, im as obscure as hell lol) and what do they do?

Announce a TIE Interceptor, a prop that has only recently been nailed by John and Steve, and isnt all that for me, and thats MY opinion, im entitled to it too!

I just think bolder moves need to be made, and by that, i dont mean bold "expensive" moves either, come on, hands up, who would flip out if they showed us a proto TIE bomber, or a scaled Avenger or Medical Frigate at a rough $300 kinda figure, massive sales, low costs, all involved happy?

Its quite possible, that LFL do not want these props seeing the light of day, sure, and that makes my comments on eFX somewhat redundant, as the guys to blame, are the very creators (or should i say owners) of said props, i dont know...but playing it so safe and boring if you will, just feels a bit wet!

lee

Last edited:
No worries Scott, i recall you screaming for a Bomber, good man and a wise cry :lol I have one, but as i said, if eFX did release it, id support there cause for sure, its my favorite TIE at the end of the day, but its not just a Bomber eFX could use as a killer app there are plenty of things left in the Archives that could be "scanned" :lol

Slave....IMHO, id be very surprised if they did, and IF they did, it wouldnt be very good at all i reckon.

There already taking potshots at the project i had the priviledge to work alongside my peers on..so thats either sour grapes they couldnt snatch it as a freebie, or, they really have it all down, scanned from the wonky prop hull, and all ID's in the bag (bloody doubtful) and good to go as a completed replica.

Could you imagine the paint problem threads we would possibly see, or the lights going on the fritz? and cracking her open for a looksee....ah i digress.

Cheap shots are all well and good, but cheap shots here, i dont think so, people in glass houses, shouldnt test gravity with large rocks!

lee

They're only human and are trying their best. As mentioned elsewhere, they upgraded the paint jobs based on Kurt Kuhn's feedback on his version of their early production (pre-?). I think there's a learning curve and the people involved love the subjects they're portraying. Red 5 was extremely ambitious for a first subject! I wish them the best!

I know firsthand, in shoe design, that working with China can be like throwing hand grenades - close is good enough. It's a very difficult thing to mass produce something that requires such attention to detail and requires an artist's touch.

I hope they succeed either way. We all agree on that. I hope all this feedback is being compiled and evaluated!

I'm sure it's an option that's been explored by the company, but what about assembling the things in China and having them painted stateside?

I agree a Slave I would be a very tough nut to crack. So much of the look of the piece is in the painting, and there's no way that the factory in China could ever come close to how the ship is supposed to look. How about offering them unpainted for less? :lol That would keep the painters on this board busy, that's for sure.

Other possibilities...the escape pod from ANH. How about a Mouse Droid, or an interrogation droid? The Tauntaun model with Luke in the saddle would be cool, too...what with the anniversary coming up and all.

Given that.....

I'm thinking $599.00 and they'll sell like hotcakes.

Consider the MR Y-wing; It was alot bigger, more complicated (detail and paint wise), included a deathstar tower, is more Iconic than the Interceptor and retailed for only $795. Even at that price they had a hard time selling it.

No worries Scott, i recall you screaming for a Bomber, good man and a wise cry :lol I have one, but as i said, if eFX did release it, id support there cause for sure, its my favorite TIE at the end of the day, but its not just a Bomber eFX could use as a killer app there are plenty of things left in the Archives that could be "scanned" :lol

Slave....IMHO, id be very surprised if they did, and IF they did, it wouldnt be very good at all i reckon.

There already taking potshots at the project i had the priviledge to work alongside my peers on..so thats either sour grapes they couldnt snatch it as a freebie, or, they really have it all down, scanned from the wonky prop hull, and all ID's in the bag (bloody doubtful) and good to go as a completed replica.

Could you imagine the paint problem threads we would possibly see, or the lights going on the fritz? and cracking her open for a looksee....ah i digress.

Cheap shots are all well and good, but cheap shots here, i dont think so, people in glass houses, shouldnt test gravity with large rocks!

lee

Dear Ralphee

I really do not know who you are other than from your posts on the forums, or have we ever spoken in the past.

I have been reading the posts in this thread and now think it is time to say something.

I totally agree that everyone has the right to say anything they want in an open forum like this, and I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions. Even your comment about Slave I where you said that you “reckon” it would be not very good if we attempted this ship. But when things are said that are not factually true or correct or they start to get personal, that goes beyond what I would deem to be the purpose of this forum or acceptable.

Your statement above that “there already taking potshots” I assume you mean ”they’re” and since this thread is about eFX, I am assuming the “they” is us. Barry, Larry or I have never criticized or even made any comments about your work or anyone else’s in this forum or any other. If you can give me an example of these “potshots” I would be interested to know what they were.

As for your comment about “not getting something for free” and “sour grapes”, we have never asked for anything for free, nor do we expect to. We know and respect the amount of work and commitment that many have done to get the amazing amount of knowledge they have of some of the props. Even though there is no monetary value that can ever be attached to this knowledge, I can say that everyone who has worked with me or our team has been treated respectfully, honestly and professionally.

I know that you are no fan of ours, which I respect, all I ask is that you please keep your comments to the product and not the company or our people. I am very proud of our team, both employees and consultants. I do not think that you will find a team that is more passionate and dedicated to their work.

Thanks!

Bryan

Last edited:
Could you say something about the price of the Interceptor. I couldnt afford the X-Wing and would like to know if the price is less or comparable with the X-Wing.

Dear Ralphee

I really do not know who you are other than from your posts on the forums, or have we ever spoken in the past.

I have been reading the posts in this thread and now think it is time to say something.

I totally agree that everyone has the right to say anything they want in an open forum like this, and I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions. Even your comment about Slave I where you said that you “reckon” it would be not very good if we attempted this ship. But when things are said that are not factually true or correct or they start to get personal, that goes beyond what I would deem to be the purpose of this forum or acceptable.

Your statement above that “there already taking potshots” I assume you mean ”they’re” and since this thread is about eFX, I am assuming the “they” is us. Barry, Larry or I have never criticized or even made any comments about your work or anyone else’s in this forum or any other. If you can give me an example of these “potshots” I would be interested to know what they were.

As for your comment about “not getting something for free” and “sour grapes”, we have never asked for anything for free, nor do we expect to. We know and respect the amount of work and commitment that many have done to get the amazing amount of knowledge they have of some of the props. Even though there is no monetary value that can ever be attached to this knowledge, I can say that everyone who has worked with me or our team has been treated respectfully, honestly and professionally.

I know that you are no fan of ours, which I respect, all I ask is that you please keep your comments to the product and not the company or our people. I am very proud of our team, both employees and consultants. I do not think that you will find a team that is more passionate and dedicated to their work.

Thanks!

Bryan

Well Bryan, i think you need to talk to your "team" and find out just who is going around spouting off about things being "innaccurate and wrong" with other folks projects, maybe without your knowing?

Passion and dedication, all good with me, the work you guys do, wonderful, who else is there besides the old MR group.....but, words get spoken behind closed doors, and just like the comments ive made that have upset you...these comments, upset me, and the "team" i belong to, seeing as this given project, took up a hell of a lot of "our" time, it does hurt one i guess.

You have every right to be proud of your group, they seem to work extremely hard, and bring to the collectors, a product Icons never could, so maybe respect needs to be given both ways here IMO.

Am i harsh? Yes, probably right to say so, am i harsh because im upset? Id say hell yes.....so again, the doors swings both ways Bryan!

lee

Dear Ralphee

Thanks!

Bryan

Bryan,

I hate to get involved in this, as it's probably going to lead nowhere good, but recently we heard through the grapevine, that the "MR Guys" said the Slave we're working on is "inaccurate and wrong". I'm not going to say who we heard it from, but it's definitely someone that I know would be in a position to talk to them. And actually, this isn't the first time we heard this. Which is ok I guess, you guys get enough of that from the members here, so criticism flies both ways.

That may be true as we never had access to the actual prop, and have nothing to go by but pictures, yet we're slugging away at it and we also are extremely dedicated to the project and producing (for our personal collection, this won't be a kit) the closest thing to the original a fan can make.

I'm not accusing eFX of any improprieties, don't get me wrong, I respect your company and I think you're doing a great job providing studio scale replicas to the public, and I'm happy theres a market for such things.

But your company is made up of people, and those people sometimes express their opinion negatively of someone else's projects, and then it gets around, and now we're having conversations like this. And like I said, I'm in no way saying they're not justified in their opinions, as your company hears it all the time here. I'm just trying to give you a background on some of our group's animosity on this thread.

And I for one would welcome any crits of our project from the experts so I can see to it that it's made better.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard -

You say some "MR Guys" claim your Slave I is inaccurate. And then you say that may be true, because you didn't have access to the original, like eFX ostensibly would.

Someone is saying your Slave I is inaccurate, and you're conceding the point so far as to even explain why! So since everyone seems to agree on this point, why is there animosity?

_Mike

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back