Hammer Films Props?

drsyn71

Sr Member
I'd love to see some.

I'd love to have a Captain Kronos ring. If I remember correctly, I believe actor Horst Janson still has it.

I have a Dracula crest ring I got from christopherleeweb.com/catalog/movie-props/dracula-ring that was apparently cast from Bela Lugosi's ring. The only difference is that it doesn't have the red stone. It's all silver. The late, great 4E had Bela's and I believe it's going up for auction soon.

Anyway, back to Hammer. I was watching Dracula A.D. 1972 a while back and saw two great paintings that I would love to have re-prints of or have re-created/re-painted. I think I have the pics attached.

That drac sketch would make a good paper prop.

I remember watching this film as a kid and thinking how cool the picture looked - fangs for the memories!

You're welcome. Yeah, the Drac pic looks like a B&W ink drawing or a dark pencil sketch. I blew up the pic to 11X17 and had it printed out at my local Kinkos. Looks like crap, of course. I'm thinking of putting it on a light table and tracing over it and re-inking it. I'll see what I can do. Re-do it and scan it in on my large format scanner. Maybe make the final one 11X14. That way buying a frame would be easy. If it all comes out, I'll save it as a jpg and offer it here as a paper prop like you said.

Chris

That drac sketch would make a good paper prop.

I remember watching this film as a kid and thinking how cool the picture looked - fangs for the memories!

The Drac picture is not an ink drawing or pencil sketch, it is "supposed" to be a wood cut. (I say "supposed" to be, because I doubt they had the time or inclination to make a real woodcut for the movie.) Wood cuts were the most common way of reproducing a picture back years and years ago. To make a wood cut, the negative version is drawn on a plank of wood, the white areas are cut away with a chisel, leaving only the black areas. This is then wiped down with ink and a piece of paper is pressed onto it. Pulling away the paper leaves a positive version of the wood cut drawing... just like a gigantic rubber stamp!

The best way to simulate it would be using ink, not pencil, and a brush... which, if you are not practiced, is a pain to use! It would be difficult to get the wood grain effect that wood cuts usually have, however.

To be honest, though, this has given me some inspiration... I have a complete set of woodcut tools and used to do woodcuts and wood engravings (same principle, but much smaller and much finer detail) up till a few years ago. I may just tackle this one! It is a wonderfully scary piece! Gimme a day or two to think about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, That would be WAY cool.

The Drac picture is not an ink drawing or pencil sketch, it is "supposed" to be a wood cut. (I say "supposed" to be, because I doubt they had the time or inclination to make a real woodcut for the movie.) Wood cuts were the most common way of reproducing a picture back years and years ago. To make a wood cut, the negative version is drawn on a plank of wood, the white areas are cut away with a chisel, leaving only the black areas. This is then wiped down with ink and a piece of paper is pressed onto it. Pulling away the paper leaves a positive version of the wood cut drawing... just like a gigantic rubber stamp!

The best way to simulate it would be using ink, not pencil, and a brush... which, if you are not practiced, is a pain to use! It would be difficult to get the wood grain effect that wood cuts usually have, however.

To be honest, though, this has given me some inspiration... I have a complete set of woodcut tools and used to do woodcuts and wood engravings (same principle, but much smaller and much finer detail) up till a few years ago. I may just tackle this one! It is a wonderfully scary piece! Gimme a day or two to think about it.

OK, I'm going to tackle this one when I get time freed up next week (on top of prop building and illustration, I just started as an internet DJ twice a week!)

After a careful study of the pictures, I'm willing to bet that the woodcut was done in rather the opposite way of a standard woodcut, as in, the black areas were cut out and the white areas were left raised. The piece would be then spread with white ink or paint and pressed onto black paper. The teeth look as if they have been given special treatment with a more enamal color as well. I'll have to pull out the DVD to get some shots to work from.

I will do a run of these, however, I'm going to have to figure my cost and all that stuff. If anyone is interested let me know (I can't post in the Junkyard as of yet). I'm thinking they will be around 11 x 17 (rough estimate - the piece is more square than that) and run around 25 to 30 bucks each... final price to be determined (PLEASE don't hold me to that price till I figure out what it will cost me!) I will NOT accept a penny from anyone until I have the entire run finished and ready for shipment! (As I said in a previous post... I know me! This could take me a little while to complete, due to prior commitments.)

MODS, if I have overstepped my boundries by offering this, I do apologize. Let me know if there is a problem doing it this way.

Fantastic. I am SO interested. YOU ROCK!

OK, I'm going to tackle this one when I get time freed up next week (on top of prop building and illustration, I just started as an internet DJ twice a week!)

After a careful study of the pictures, I'm willing to bet that the woodcut was done in rather the opposite way of a standard woodcut, as in, the black areas were cut out and the white areas were left raised. The piece would be then spread with white ink or paint and pressed onto black paper. The teeth look as if they have been given special treatment with a more enamal color as well. I'll have to pull out the DVD to get some shots to work from.

I will do a run of these, however, I'm going to have to figure my cost and all that stuff. If anyone is interested let me know (I can't post in the Junkyard as of yet). I'm thinking they will be around 11 x 17 (rough estimate - the piece is more square than that) and run around 25 to 30 bucks each... final price to be determined (PLEASE don't hold me to that price till I figure out what it will cost me!) I will NOT accept a penny from anyone until I have the entire run finished and ready for shipment! (As I said in a previous post... I know me! This could take me a little while to complete, due to prior commitments.)

MODS, if I have overstepped my boundries by offering this, I do apologize. Let me know if there is a problem doing it this way.

Someone SHOULD do the Captain Kronos ring, bro. I'd buy one of those. Add to the collection. The Phantom rings, The Shadow rings, Magnum P.I. (Cross of Lorraine) ring, LOTR, POTC, etc.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back