Building a studio scale pod car

I really wanted to paint something today to se how it
would jump off the white.
100_1165.jpg

100_1167.jpg

100_1170.jpg

I got my super bright white LED's in today, I had some acrylic
tube laying around so I decided to simulate a cold cathode tube!:lol

I took the acrylic and cut it at 66mm, then I sanded the inside and out side to give it that florescent look.The 5mm LED's fit perfect and snug on each end, to kill the hot spot, I wrapped each end of the tube with that heavy foil tape you use for duct work.
100_1172.jpg

Michael, your going to have to get this thing painted mate, every time I see a new post I jump straight here to see how it looks, and it does look very impressive.

Thanks guys!:thumbsup

Well one set of lights down one to go!
Should have the lightning finished tomorrow.

I took some 3mm styrene and cut the profile of the tube out of
it. Next I pinned it in on the back side so it could sit secure in
the bulkhead that's inside the cover.I used two one on each end
just to make sure they fit level and secure.
It's a tight fit I had to drill holes for the leads coming off the
LED's and for the pins coming out of the supports. Because I didn't
want to risk shorting the LED's out from the leads touching I used
some "liqued Tape" I got from Micro Mark. You can use a brush and paint right on dries quick to a rubberized coating, plus it insulates the wiring and leads coming off the LED's.

I decided to run the LED's on 3v as they are rated for this, so
no need for resistors.Two LEd's per 3v so if I can get at least 4 to 5 hrs running time out of them I will be fine with this.The light is for effect,
and the longest I will run them is for shows, since the batteries will be easy to replace during a show I am not worried. Everything will be at the bottom of the base so it's just a matter of lifting the cover and changing them out.
100_1175.jpg

100_1178.jpg

100_1179.jpg

100_1180.jpg

100_1183.jpg

100_1187.jpg

100_1188.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/3dimensionalmanagement/Studio%20scalecloud%20car/100_1190.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/3dimensionalmanagement/Studio%20scalecloud%20car/100_1195.jpg
100_1192.jpg

100_1196.jpg

100_1197.jpg

100_1200.jpg

100_1205.jpg

:lol:thumbsup At this point I am not going to take a ship that is not that complicated to paint and make it complicated!!:lol:thumbsup

Thanks Guys,
Michael

Actually it's not that simple of a paint job, studio model is painted with lightly different orange tones and not duplicated on both pods, very hard to see with the little refference available, but many panels have a different tone of sheen to them and little marking on the pods.

GFollano

Actually it's not that simple of a paint job, studio model is painted with lightly different orange tones and not duplicated on both pods, very hard to see with the little refference available, but many panels have a different tone of sheen to them and little marking on the pods.

GFollano

Masking off the panels and painting them different tones is simple, but like you said seeing the different tones is the hard part!!:angry:thumbsdown
Looking at the chronicles book is not the best reference for sure, would you have any better pics of this?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, I think if there was a nobel prize for scratch building you'd have one on your mantle mate, the lights are just inspirational, pure genius.

Michael, I think if there was a nobel prize for scratch building you'd have one on your mantle mate, the lights are just inspirational, pure genius.

I would love to come to Manchester and learn to paint!!
I am not genius though I saw a build on the RI and I can't remember his
name I copied him!!:lol Was it Tippet, not sure but to the guy who built and lit the pod-car...thanks for showing the way!!:lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back