Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

I think I have a NEW Inspiration for a PUPPET!!

enhanced-buzz-21068-1322505018-69.jpg

As much as I'm adoring this, is there any info on Santa? Like, what material was used for his red and white bits, his beard and how it was formed to shape, thigs like that?? I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Also, I'd like to make a Christmas tree as well, to go next to Santa. Any info on that would be swell as well!

Last edited:
Felt felt felt and more felt. Almost all the costumes for the elves and santa and the reindeer were felt. Trees, felt. Trees are very easy. Just cut various sized circles of the green felt. Cut a triangle out of the circle and then create a cone with the shape that's left. Glue the cone together.

Now get a wooden dowel painted brown. Cut a small hole at the tip of the cones and put the largest at the bottom of the tree, the next goes above that one and so on. Go back and use scissors to cut the jagged edge along the bottom part of each cone to resemble "evergreens" and then cut snow shapes out of some white felt and glue that on to the green cones. Now glue them together and decorate with miniature ornaments and packages etc purchased at michaels. The balls on the tree are all "beads" Just use your imagination. I took flat wooden circles and a single wood screw to make "bases" for each tree.

Dave :)

Tips of the trees....the top cone is glued down onto the tip of the dowel. The top one doesn't have a hole in it for the dowel to pass thru like the rest of the branches.

The snowman was 2 squished and 1 round wooden balls.

Here is a little progress on Hermey: I still need to do the hair hands and feet.

378148_2491885691475_1082738501_32311000_354150927_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet. I just happen to have some white fleece laying around. Now off to order wool felt. Anyone have any tried and true felt dealers they'd recommend? I've bought from FeltOnTheFly on etsy, And would love to go back, but PayPal won't accept my debit card anymore for some reason. So I need anothe retailer.

I got his face painted, can't find decent eyes though. That shape and size seems impossible to get. Gonna have to sculpt and mould them I'm afraid. I'm using a large wooden egg for the body shape, gonna slice off the skinny end of the egg, which will become his butt. Got a santa costume beard to use to make his beard and stache. The rest is just wire and felt. Once I get his eyes squared away I will move pretty quickly.

Dave :)

As a child, I always looked forward to seeing Rudolph this time of year. I think kids now are spoiled because they can watch Rudolph on DVD anytime of the year.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back