Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

Dave,

I hope he does as well. I know they are interested, hopefully it happens.

What a cool collection to have of everything from all those films.

FANTASTIC work, guys! Both of the Rudolph replicas are just jaw dropping! I really want to do this myself but I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated by the sewing. I have a little sewing knowledge, just the basics though. How involved is the sewing/pattern making on this?

Looking forward to seeing more on this!

Thanks!!
-B89! :D

I started Clarice last night, and completely sewed the head felt over everything.

And I hated it. I just dont sew that well either, and dont like the stitched look.

So, I cut the threads away, and speared white glue under the felt as thin as I could

Im using thicker felt for CLarice, and not having the SOAK THROUGH problem I did on parts of RUDOLPH.

Seams are cleaner, Ill do the same for the body.

example:

clarice_head.jpg

There are parts..that Just have to be sewed. For example, the legs, but its really not that bad, and if you look closely at the orginal you can real see the sew lines. Head to neck, you got to sew it. The ears and tails, are also sewed together.

So there is a fair amount of sewing, but its really not that bad.

I bought Small thin sewing needles and bent them into a curve, cause I couldnt find bent ones anywhere.

Goodle some sewing tutorials on the web to learn some basics.

Buy some small short straight pins, those help ALOT. WHats nice about having a Balsa wood base, is that you can PIN the felt to hold it, then sew and glue.

Sewing is really the Easy Part. Its figuring out HOW to cover a CURVED object with a FLAT SHEET of FELT. Oh..thats not fun.

Hint: Look at a FOOTBALL.

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Mellow!

Here is an example of poor planning.

I couldn't get the wires to recess back into the head.

So when it came time to add the now finished LED, I had to give RUDOLPH a ROOT CANAL and remove most of his mouth to get to the wires.

rootcanal.jpg

Here is the Final Bulb, and mouth repair.

nosefinal.jpg

And Lit up...looks very yellow in the pic, but trust me its red.

nosefinal2.jpg

Awaiting his Clarice....
(Im gonna redo the tail....its off a bit. Mouth needs more trimming.)

close2final.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Moo...thanks Vader!

Clarice..is KICKING my butt.

I cant get her head to look right.

Reference is thin...I keep looking at the DVD. The Teenager version is very different from the Little Girl version.

I tried to flip the ears.
In fact, of the 4 sets I made for Clarice, (rejected the first 3 ) They were all flipped. Nature of the felt or my poor sewing skills....you couldnt really tell.

If you look close at the real prop, most of her is sewed on the outside.
Exception, here ears, but they also use leather for the inside of the ears, and I didnt have any thin enough.
Her nose is leather in the film, I tried to do it in felt, it just didnt look right, so Ill go with Painted balsa, textured to look like leather.
After all, I dont plan on animating these.

If you watch the film, her neck comes unsewed in a few of the scenes. You can see the gap pretty easily.
Also watch for the PINS in the feet that get left in occasionally too far out.

Rudolphs wires pop in and out of frame as well.

F

Update...project: "RUDOLPH's MAIN SQUEEZE".

These are real pics, untouched with exception of removing my hand and electrical wires.

complete.jpg

kids.jpg

Im gonna have SO much fun for next years Christmas Card....

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back