Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

The new bridge immediately reminded me of the 1701-A bridge from the end of Trek IV, which is a kind of dreamlike fairy-tale scene anyway...

trek4bridgesw0.jpg

So anyway, about those phasers... :lol

i have never made it through that movie without falling asleep (and I have tried twice) but on those comments I will have to give it another go:thumbsup

That's the spirit!

M&C is a Big Screen movie to be sure, so hopefully you won't be watching it on your laptop.

BTW, the "making of" materials included on the DVD are (for once) well worth a look.

That's the spirit!
M&C is a Big Screen movie to be sure, so hopefully you won't be watching it on your laptop.
BTW, the "making of" materials included on the DVD are (for once) well worth a look.

No laptop watching here, I will be watching it on my top-of-the-line (in 2002) RCA 25 inch TV:thumbsup

Let's be honest. There's not a single person here, who, given the oportunity, would'nt jump on that set, sit in that chair, point out his hand and say..."engage!"

I would LOVE to play Star Trek on that set!

Let's be honest. There's not a single person here, who, given the oportunity, would'nt jump on that set, sit in that chair, point out his hand and say..."engage!"
How about "fascinating"? (see below)
Anyone know abything about this set? It was part of a travelling Trek show that passd through Chattanooga in 1987...

I know its not entirely on topic, but regarding the bridge in Star Trek IV; I once had the opportunity to ask Herman Zimmerman about the set at the end of the film, vs how it was entirely different during Star Trek V. He said that the set at the end of The Voyage Home was inexpensively built and just tossed together for the end of the film. The set for The Final Frontier was the product of a better budget and more time spent. I told him I preferred the look of part IV over the living room, warm tones of The Final Frontier bridge. I mentioned how the floor tiles looked a bit rushed, but that is because I had those same tiles in my home theater and my eye is drawn to that kind of thing. He got a chuckle out of my comment about preferring the cheap and quick set over the total redesign. I also told him I was confused to see a change, since they had already established the bridge of Enterprise A in the fourth film. I was only 15 when The Final Frontier came out and I still took that kind of thing into consideration.

Actually I always thought the Trek V Final Frontier bridge looked kind of cruddy, but the same set got rearranged and looked pretty cool in Trek VI Undiscovered Country.

Trek 5
trek5bridgejq3.jpg

Trek 6
trei6bridgetv0.jpg

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country bridge was great.

I love the placement of the consoles, the darker colour scheme, and the more contrasted lighting. Also of note is the red (padding?) in the center there. :thumbsup

Trek 5 has the panels too but they seem to be a beige color. Actually the whole look of 5 is pretty blah... grays and beiges, and the lighting sucks... :lol

st5bridge02ny9.jpg

st5bridge03ce2.jpg

st5bridge09ij6.jpg

No drama whatsoever. Then Nick Meyer comes along in 6 and works his magic again... just as he transformed the blah look of TMP into WOK, he takes the sow's ear of Trek 5 and makes Undiscovered Country out of it. :thumbsup

st060179fi2.jpg

Last edited:
Shatner also has the dubious distinction of being the only Trek director to make no effort to hide Scotty's right hand, with its missing finger. :unsure

st5bridge04zm2.jpg

At least the turbolifts were still in the "right" places in Trek V... ;)

I definitely see where Shatner and Herman Zimmerman were trying to go with the Trek V bridge, to show a progression between the TOS-era look and the incredibly beige and lounge-like bridge Zimmerman created for TNG.

The Trek V bridge isn't my favorite, but it certainly is an improvement over the crap-tacular Trek IV bridge. From what I remember reading that bridge was in such poor condition (having been blown up in Trek III and all) it was practically held together with all of that white paint.

Apparently the TMP bridge, or what was left of it, was used as the "Battle Bridge" in early Next Generation episodes

battlebridgeqm5.jpg

True that the 5 bridge does have a similar configureation to that seen in TMP, WOK and so on. However instead of one stand-up station behind Kirk, there are TWO. This puts a dividing line right behind the Captain, and it makes for a distracting background.

In Trek 6, the walls are rearranged so that the turbolifts are actually at the SIDES of the bridge! Functionally this is actually much better because you no longer have assassins sneaking up behind Kirk all the time. :lol

trek6bridgeturboses2.jpg

Visually, with all those black consoles grouped together at the back, you get a vast sweeping backdrop, and the bridge seems HUGE. In fact it is no bigger than in TMP.

tmpbridgeoverall01ys9.jpg

You can see in the TMP and Trek 6 shots, the camera has a very WIDE angle lens, to again emphasize the space and make the bridge seem bigger. In Trek 5, Shatner seems to have used more "TV-style" narrow lenses, and this also helps contribute to the dinky look of the set.

Maybe someone could change the title of this tread to" BRIDGE Defined Thread" instead of "PHASER Defined Thread" ?

/Conny

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back