Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

So, will the new movie phaser have a removable phaser 1 unit?

Then again, that's a cool, but not terribly practical design.

:lol It was, until some idiot needed to post about how bad the movie was going to suck and then the floodgates opened!!!!
I :love the RPF, baby!

Yep, and the "idiot" was me :)

What exactly would you like to know about the phasers? Here's what everyone here can tell you- nothing. People who've seen them can only give a slight hint, and people who haven't don't have a clue.

This was a thread discussing the props of the new movie and I personally don't appreciate the extreme diversion from the original designs in a time period that is supposed to take place in approximately the same period of TOS.

What's the point? You can still give the original props and sets a face lift while still retaining the original shape and style. If it can be done with the uniforms why not the props and sets? It's being changed just so new generations don't associate it with that old hokey TV show from the 60's... you know the one that spawned 10 movies, 4 TV shows and a whole bunch of other stuff. Yeah that "hokey" one... it's nothing like that. It's not your daddy's Trek

I also hated the hand held scanners on Enterprise which were smaller than those on TNG. Now we hear they are very much like that on this new movie.

Back on topic- phasers, plastic, light and have LEDs on them... look closer to the movie versions than TOS.

Idiot out

Sooooo then, phasers.

Maybe in the new flick, Spock will point and show Kirk where to shoot his phaser:

Kirk-Spock.jpg

"There, shoot there."

Everybody getting their undies in a bunch needs to just chill the F out.

Personally, I can't wait for the film and hope the new phasers are cool.

:thumbsup

I am not opposed to new phasers as long as they are really cool and interesting looking. :cool

I mean, the "intent" with the 1979 motion picture, was to make everything "cooler", with the idea that "it always looked like this, we just never had the budget to show it like this before". For example the Klingons.

I'm not saying they succeeded, just that this was the intent. :lol

So on the new movie, sure they are knocking themselves out, redesigning stuff. OK fine! Show me what you got. I'll let you know after I walk out of the theater whether you got it right or not. :thumbsup

- k

Last edited:
AHA!!!
Ok, based on what I've read I KNOW what the new props look like...

Cage Like.....and.....

No longer are their signature Trek weapons boxy plastic toys, but sleek silver gizmos with spring-triggered barrels that revolve and glow in the transition from ''stun'' to ''kill.''

Therefore...

1009901cprsdl8.jpg

;)

I second Nickytea in the question about a removeable P1?

:lol It was, until some idiot needed to post about how bad the movie was going to suck and then the floodgates opened!!!!
I :love the RPF, baby!
Sight unseen, I have only been right ONCE about a movie not being all it was hyped to be. I normally try not to speak on a movie that has yet to be released, nor have we seen anything other than a few photos. Kinda hard to say it will suck. I'll go see it, but NOT on opening week. Not for any reason other than me being a non-trekkie.

wow, 8 pages of absolutely nothing. Someone might want to start a new phaser thread when we start getting real information just to get rid of all this crap.

No offense, but the day I post stuff on the RPF to feel more "important" is the day is the day I become a triathlete.

Non taken and I actually have welcomed your commments in a few threads regarding the new film, you even helped settle a debate on another board about the design of the new Enterprise for me. :thumbsup I thought the attacks on the movie and on you were out of line in this thread. :cool

Hopefully you have a lot of great reference material you will be able to share once the film is released, until then, I say tease away! Are the new phasers a similar TOS black and grey or more silvery?

wow, 8 pages of absolutely nothing. Someone might want to start a new phaser thread when we start getting real information just to get rid of all this crap.

I don't think we will see any information before the rest of the world. Just a matter of patience for the Trek fans. The only thing I have liked is Quinto as Spock. However, Cho as Sulu leaves me a bit flat.

Carson, don't let them get you down. Not everyone here is bothered by what you posted. That reaction was earned though, as we've had some folks who sort of rub your nose in it over the years.

I didn't get that sense from your posts though. They seemed OK to me.

I have to admit, MIB was the first thing I thought of too when I read the description of the new phasers.

I don't think JJ is going to betray the original designs THAT much, but the description sounds like a big shiny revolver, doesn't it?

I'm betting the design will be pretty cool.

Deleted off topic bit...

ON-TOPIC I like the idea of the combo of TOS and Enterprise look, as I like both series. I am not that worried about the film as JJ has done nothing I disliked so far, so until he proves me wrong I am good. Plus I am always happy to see some new Trek, it has been far too long.:)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back