Falcon Repaint take 2

Gunpowder

Sr Member
If ever a Falcon needed a repaint it was this one. I picked this up today. Im going to do a total repaint again , but im not touching the cockpit interior this time round. I have a few things to finish first but i will be starting this soon , maybe a little bit over this weekend!
DSC02467.jpg

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

man, what a disgrace that paint job is.

if i got one like that i would not be a happy chappie.

z

Could you do a more in depth step by step on a few area's for us? Your last repaint was so amazing it would be great to see more of your work as it happens so to speak?

I really want to do mine one day but its quite a good job already, I dont want to do it till I know I can make it look better than it already is. So tips would be ace?

Could you do a more in depth step by step on a few area's for us? Your last repaint was so amazing it would be great to see more of your work as it happens so to speak?

I really want to do mine one day but its quite a good job already, I dont want to do it till I know I can make it look better than it already is. So tips would be ace?

Yes OK. I may get it in white primer today , but this time i am going to take as many photos of it as possible before i start. That way i can see exactly where to put all of the little= marks. Im going to put Johnsons Klear over all of the little red markings and then mask them up. This first photo i will post will be the white primer version!

As good as your cockpit turned out last time and you're not going to do this one? Do it!!:love Can't wait to see your new work on this one.

I think you've had as many Falcons as me.:lol

As good as your cockpit turned out last time and you're not going to do this one? Do it!!:love Can't wait to see your new work on this one.

I think you've had as many Falcons as me.:lol

I may do the rear wall but theres no way im making all of those side and overhead consoles. They were almost invisible in the end.

OK , this time the glue was stronger and the resin more brittle. Whilst trying to remove the cockpit i broke the recess it sits in. Its no big deal as it wont be seen , but it also allowed me to remove the rear wall without cutting the cockpit floor off , so thats even better.
DSC02495.jpg

DSC02494.jpg

I also removed the upper turret using a knife. There are 2 lugs that hold it on , and you have to be careful that they dont break the turret. Luckily this went as planned
DSC02493.jpg

I also removed the 3 actuators that will have the red panels under them
DSC02496.jpg

One entire large can of primer and i have a nice blank canvass
DSC02492.jpg

Last edited:
I will one day, I just dont have the time at the moment, and there's a few more painting skills I need to work on before tackling this beast.

I am very fussy about the paint on Models. I like them just so. Some would be happy with that one , but I like to fiddle! It was too overdone. Theres heavy black weathering , and the base colour is not quite right IMHO. I just wanted to repaint it.

Heres the next step. I added a black wash to the sidewalls and rear deck. This will show the shadows when i airbrush the top cote on. I know that a complete black undercoat can be used , but i preferre this method.

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

Looks great! I really like your idea with the black wash vs the black primer. You can focus shading in specific areas a bit better and have more control with the top coat. What type of primer do you use and what type of wash?

Looks great! I really like your idea with the black wash vs the black primer. You can focus shading in specific areas a bit better and have more control with the top coat. What type of primer do you use and what type of wash?

Thanks. It was Halford automotive white primer with Vallejo modelair black thinned with plain ole water.

Base colour is on. Its a mixture of Tamiya white and deck tan. Thats basically all i have done today , other than Marks Moonraker shuttle and a couple of floor tiles , i have the dreaded man flu!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back