Falcon Repaint take 2

Wow man, that really does look smokin!!! My only critique as far as total accuracy with the panels would be that the panel that houses the blast marks next to the dish should be the base color and not concrete. Also there should be a concrete area within the panel directly under the small red panel that's next to the turret. Other than those two minor things, everything looks fantastic.

You can always count on me to pop in when you think you're finally finished.:lol

Andrew, she looks great, & you can tell by the speed you did this with that your confidence & skills are way up there. I think you may have given me buzz to do this to mine asap. Sadly it wont be till next year but it will happen, thanks.

Wow man, that really does look smokin!!! My only critique as far as total accuracy with the panels would be that the panel that houses the blast marks next to the dish should be the base color and not concrete. Also there should be a concrete area within the panel directly under the small red panel that's next to the turret. Other than those two minor things, everything looks fantastic.

You can always count on me to pop in when you think you're finally finished.:lol

Cool thanks. I wasnt sure about those panels. Thats good i will fix em
Cheers :thumbsup

Alright Gunpowder, I found some more so don't shoot me.:lol I X'd the two that don't belong and tried to outline as close as possible the concrete areas that are missing. Having all the concrete areas painted will make the bird look more weathered and darker as there is less white.

Alright Gunpowder, I found some more so don't shoot me.:lol I X'd the two that don't belong and tried to outline as close as possible the concrete areas that are missing. Having all the concrete areas painted will make the bird look more weathered and darker as there is less white.

That will definitely help.

How did you paint the exhaust vents?

Here are a few showing the diversity of the weathering. Some areas are pretty clean while others are just covered with dirty airbrush spatters.

33falconpaintjm0.jpg

Thanks guys. I may do more of the concrete colours but i wont be doing the splatters etc. It is already much more weathered than it appears on the photos i have taken. Thanks for the input though.

The splatter effect is sort of a ***** since in shots of the original it appears very differently depending on the lighting.

By the way, where the @&*$K is the original now, and WHY hasn't any one taken any more hi-res shots besides what currently exists on the 'net!?

The splatter effect is sort of a ***** since in shots of the original it appears very differently depending on the lighting.

By the way, where the @&*$K is the original now, and WHY hasn't any one taken any more hi-res shots besides what currently exists on the 'net!?

I'm not sure what you mean... The splatter effect is sort of a *****..?

When shot in decent lighting conditions the model is uniform as far as the base color (white) just like the 5' model. It's all the layers of weathering that give it its character and depth.

I'm not sure what you mean... The splatter effect is sort of a *****..?

When shot in decent lighting conditions the model is uniform as far as the base color (white) just like the 5' model. It's all the layers of weathering that give it its character and depth.

All the rest of the weathering elements (streaks, blast marks, larger stains, etcetera) are pretty easy to nail precisely based on the pics available on the 'net. But the splattering is difficult to replicate (or "clone exactly) since it's degree of severity seems to vary notably dependent on what reference pics you look at (in SAG it's HUGE -some photographic artifacts are at play in there but still it shows significantly).

That, combined with the random method of application (controlling a paint brush or air brush is easier than controlling the splattering pattern of a toothbrush or "properly set" air brush), makes mimicking the pattern of splatter that exists on the original model a far greater challenge.

As hobbyists or “replicators”, it is likelier a healthier approach to try to emulate the splatter pattern than to duplicate it.

Make sense...?

Absolutely it makes sense. Yea there is no way to replicate every "blob" I agree. I guess what I was trying to say is the "splatter" effect is only on certain areas of the model. It's not on the entire thing. Mainly the front/top of the model. What it does do is give the model a depth with different lighting conditions.

The last I knew the model was back in the archives.

And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyody here would be loony enough to ry to reporduce the splatter spot-by-friggin-spot. Not real sure why I brought if up anyway - must be the beer talking! ;)

Archives, huh...? Ya know - I've seen the five-foot beast enough times to almost be tired of it. Almost.

But I've never seen the three footer in person. Ever.

OK heres the final version of the top. I need to add the little = signs but other than that im done with the top. Ive added all of the extra concrete panels and it should now be nearly spot on to the original.
ff4.jpg

ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

ff3.jpg

ff5.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back