Help with Salzo V3. Red 5 or Red 3?

joewhite

Sr Member
Hey guys, I'm about to request a V3 but am undecided on if I want a Red 5 or Red 3 and would like to request reference photos. I've got reference on the 4 footer. However, I'd like to compare all three paint configurations...Red 5 and both Red 3's...but I only have a limited amount of reference on the smaller Red 3 and pretty much nothing for the Red 5. It doesn't help that the internet I am using at the moment is limited so I cannot view pictures hosted by most photo hosting sites. I could do this when I get home but I'd like to have a little welcome home gift from myself when I get back into the states. :) LMK...I can give you my email address.

Joe

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm am about to request a V3 but am undecided on if I want a Red 5 or Red 3. I've got reference on the 4 footer Red 3. I'd like to compare the all three paint configurations...Red 5 and both Red 3's but I only have a limited amount of reference on the smaller Red 3 and pretty much nothing for the Red 5. It doesn't help that the internet I am using at the moment is limited so I cannot view a bunch of pictures hosted by most photo hosting sites. I could do this when I get home but I'd like to have a little welcome home gift from myself when I get back into the states. :) LMK...I can give you my email address.

Joe

Joe, there isn't all that much publicly available good quality reference material for ANY of the original Star Wars X-wings bar Red 2. The only other really well-documented one is the big Red 3 from Jedi. Most of what is available can be found online, and plenty right here (check the various X-wing threads).

Another thing you can do is just follow the layouts of other people's builds. Guy Cowen's Red 3, just finished and right here on the RPF, is a stellar piece of work. There have also been some great Red 5 builds which are close to or even of reference quality.

Cheers,
Martyn

Joe, there isn't all that much publicly available good quality reference material for ANY of the original Star Wars X-wings bar Red 2. The only other really well-documented one is the big Red 3 from Jedi. Most of what is available can be found online, and plenty right here (check the various X-wing threads).

Another thing you can do is just follow the layouts of other people's builds. Guy Cowen's Red 3, just finished and right here on the RPF, is a stellar piece of work. There have also been some great Red 5 builds which are close to or even of reference quality.

Cheers,
Martyn

Thanks. Yeah, I understand but I should have explained myself better. I can't view most pics on this site or on the internet due to the limited access...or restrictions...to most photo hosting websites over here where I am at. Like I mentioned, I could wait to get home to research everything but I wanted to have the V3 hopefully waiting by the time I got home. Or if there was a waiting line, I could use the time until I get home to burn some of that waiting time. Oh, and I have plenty of ref for the big Red 3. Thanks again, Nwerke!!!

Again, any and all help would be appreciated!!!

Joe

Last edited:
Which would you like to do? :)

As stated by Martyn... Guy's Beautiful ANH RED3 build posted here, and on the RI is pretty much right on the ball for the actual studio model.

As for the ANH RED 5... We were able to borrow actual photos taken of the filming model to "clone" this beastie...

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showpost.php?p=54003&postcount=99

What you see there is what it pretty much is...modified parts and all. ;)

I look forward to view what you decide! :D

Last edited:
I agree with Martyn, you should use Guy's Red 3 as ref, it's spot on !

Kurt's Red 5 is also an awesome piece of art !

But IMHO Red 3 is more interesting because we see build-up of her too rarely...

I agree with Martyn, you should use Guy's Red 3 as ref, it's spot on !

Kurt's Red 5 is also an awesome piece of art !

But IMHO Red 3 is more interesting because we see build-up of her too rarely...

Thanks Julien! :D

I also agree... ANH RED 3 is the road less traveled. There have only been a few done... so it would seem to be the better choice. ;) Plus... I think many are just plain tired of viewing RED 5 builds for a while. ;)

:cry Guys, again, thank you so much. The thing is...I've read through Guy's progress and while it sounds great...I simply cannot view his pics...nor many others on this site. This is due to the internet restrictions set at the location I am currently at (Iraq). The main reason I was asking for ref of the Red 5 and small Red 3 was so that I could compare the paintjobs and decide which one I would rather build. This way I could order an appropriate V3 from Mike and have it waiting for me when I get home or get ahead on the waiting list while I am here. I guess I'm gonna go with the 4 footer V3 since I have plenty of reference on it and like it anyway.

I do appreciate the input though!!! I can't wait to get home so I can view Guy's Red 3 and many other builds on this site that I have been missing. Thanks!!!! :)

When you come home... PM one of us here or on the RI and we'll see what we can do about helping you out with what you need. ;) :D

Remember...stay low... and watch your six soldier. ;)

And... thank you and your bros for their great sacrifices. :)

We'll chat when you return. :D

:cry Guys, again, thank you so much. The thing is...I've read through Guy's progress and while it sounds great...I simply cannot view his pics...nor many others on this site. This is due to the internet restrictions set at the location I am currently at (Iraq). The main reason I was asking for ref of the Red 5 and small Red 3 was so that I could compare the paintjobs and decide which one I would rather build. This way I could order an appropriate V3 from Mike and have it waiting for me when I get home or get ahead on the waiting list while I am here. I guess I'm gonna go with the 4 footer V3 since I have plenty of reference on it and like it anyway.

I do appreciate the input though!!! I can't wait to get home so I can view Guy's Red 3 and many other builds on this site that I have been missing. Thanks!!!! :)

Everyone has a red 5 - but at the same time I feel like that's a good one to start a collection with. Most people, who can only have one x-wing always go for the "hero" first. It's nothing to be ashamed about. We've already discussed how all the red 5's all look different depending on who builds it and paints it.

On a side note doing a red leader would shock us all *hint* *hint*
or wedge's red 2.:love that's something that isn't around much here.

On a side note doing a red leader would shock us all *hint* *hint*
or wedge's red 2. that's something that isn't around much here.

I found this Red Two over on the RI: It looks like an older Salzo V2.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Link to RI thread

Hey guys, thanks for all!!!! Well, I have pics in hand, I just need to decide which one I really want. I'm beginning to rethink wanting a 4-Footer Red 3 since the panels don't completely match up to the V3. Understandable...they were two different props but I really dig the paint job on that bird.

Most people, who can only have one x-wing always go for the "hero" first.

I was thinking of building Red 2, 3, 5 and a blue X using the old 1/48 MPC, SSM resin version, 1/48 Fine Molds and V3. Right now, I think the Red 5 looks more interesting and it would be cool for the big X-Wing model to be the hero but I dig that not many 3's have been built. Well, I will think about it...hopefully I can come to a decision really soon. Thanks again for your help!!!!! :)

Joe

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back