32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 16

Hey Scott & Scratchy do you have a pic of this technique please ?

Thanks guys,

Phil

Phil,

I have three pics. All the same with the exception of the brushes that I've used and a demo of both rulers. I don't know if you're right or left handed, but I'm right handed.

Notice how I'm holding the ruler with my left hand,.... four fingers below the ruler and my thumb applying pressure to the ruler, while keeping it firmly against the paper on an angle, raised at the front.

As I keep this locked in position with my left hand and angled and raised on the paper, I have the brush in my right hand, with my hand riding along the ruler, while holding the brush tight, not moving the brush up or down, only in one direction from left to right and with the metal collar of the brush against the edge of the ruler.

I used a #8 Rigger brush and a #3/0 Detail round brush (bottom pic) Depending how much paint you have on the brush, and how lightly you're gliding along the paper, you could make a very fine line with it. However, it takes practice.

brushstrokes.jpg

I prefer an old fashioned wooden ruler with a metal ink-edge intact. They last forever, if taken care of. I had this one since my illustration classes back in '91-'92 and it's still good.

The plastic drafting ruler that I have, has a wonderfull assortment of nicks and dents, which makes for a difficult straight line.

I hope this helps.

Just want to help with the drafting ruler. The way I used it was to just rest the one of the three edges on the surface so you don't hold the brush at an angle. And the ticks molded into the measurements can be sanded. It's the best method I've ever seen to make straight paint lines when used this way.

Hey guys, thanks again for the ruler advise..

Just another small update, with a bit more streaking added..I've airbrushed it on, but I'm gonna go over them with the ruler/brush technique to darken and define them some more..
falconstreaksnewcorr.jpg

I've just noticed I've missed something off the bugger...
Anyone know what these are from please ?
falconpodsupportscrop.jpg

Cheers

Phil

Looks truly awesome mate, it would be really great to come n see it one day soon, I'm only 30 mins away. No pressure :cool:thumbsup

Hey Guy, will you be able to see it at memorabilia in brum in nov ?

Thanks yet again Adolfo,:) (y)thumbsup(y)cool

Cheers

Phil

Looks awesome Phil, really inspiring job. So Nov is a comfirmed now, really want to make it with the Probe droid, but i cant seem to get an answer as to how, where and how safe are models will be displayed, which is a shame, guess im too anal over my stuff, even visitors looking at it wrong in my house gets me cringing, nevermind wandering fingers :lol.

lee

I'm out the loop on this Nov thing, is it a closed shop or is the more the merrier? Be great to show off an A wing?

Hey Guys, It's a go as far as I can tell from the thread...I dunno if it's 100% a go though. I need to speak with Simon.
I know what you mean Lee about the wandering fingers, but if we all keep a close eye out, it should be ok..don't you think ? I would love to see your stuff..
I don't think it's a closed shop Guy, it would be great to see the A and the B there as well..

I'm a bit worried about it too, I'm not sure yet how to transport the Falcon, I think I'll have to build a box or something for it..

Sound Great Phil and I may have the answer to your transport situation. I still have the styrene container for the MR falcon, should be the safest way to get it there, your more than welcome to use it if you wish, like I said I'm only of junc 17 on the M60, takes me 40 min to get to Leeds with out traffic.

I'd love to display some stuff, sadly the B wing was sold a long time ago but the A wing and Tauntaun would be ace to show off.

Hey guys and guyettes...A few more pics...most of the streaks are on now, I don't think there's much left apart from the dreaded splatter..oh and the belly...:wacko

Anyway..see wotcha think..
IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

This last one, with the streaks below the pit was a real bugger to do, and I went over it at least four times before I got what you see here...I've decided it's done now. I wonder if I'm being too critical with it..my missus sez I am...That's the trouble with trying to match a one off model I suppose, it needs to be just so...
I dunno, again it looks too clean in these pics, it looks a lot crappier to the naked eye. I turned the flash off to stop it burning out too..anyhoo, hope it looks ok to y'all there..

That's it for now..

Cheers

Phil

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 21

Wow, that is a fantastic build. Simply amazing.

I think it's important to be critical because if you are not then you could be settling for something that is not entirely accurate. And the purpose of studio scale modeling is to accurately recreate something that seen on screen, even if only for a few seconds.

Phil, i really dont think a build, and paint job like this could be topped, its amazing.
Should get to see this come November, and i know, ill probably dribble on it, so keep me at a safe distance lol.

As i see it on my monitor, ALL your color choices are bang on, and i LOVE the streaking.

What are you thinking for the spatter pattern? Maybe a thinned wash flecked on with a toothbrush, bit random, but so is the spatter on the prop?
Looks very translucent too, hence a wash, rather than a paint.

lee

Stunning Phil, really really stunning in all aspects mate. There more I look at your incredible work the more I want to re paint my MR Falcon. Like Lee said the Streaking is incredibly well done and you may have to clean a lot of drool come November.

That looks beautiful Phil. :thumbsup I'm really looking forward to how you handle the splatter and the choice of paint colour. Everytime you post new pics it's like Christmas has come early:love

Incredible Phil!. I would rate your painting skills right up there with the best mate, she's THAT good.
Every aspect of this build is just sooo top notch, I relish every update & you never disapoint. I can see how the flecking would be a bit nerve-racking, but I'm sure you'll pull it off, just as you have done with everything else.

Stu

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back