32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 16

Hey blokes, a few more pics of the work up to now...

falconrust1sml-1.jpg

falconrust3sml.jpg

falconrust2sml.jpg

As you can see, I tried to add some paint chipping to the red panels with liquid mask but I think it looks too heavy, I'll have to add it at the end..I thought the red looked a bit too red as well, so out with the masking tape again and three hours later I got this..
falconrust4colourcorrectsml.jpg

Overall colour looks a bit different from the other shots, 'cos it was late in the day without flash,...but the red looks a bit less bright now, I added some rust and a drop of yellow to it..anyhoo...waddaya think ?

Btw, there's a pic in the sculpting a galaxy book that shows some serious splatter on the upper surface on the radar dish side. Does anyone know if it really is that pronounced, or just that the printing has made it more obvious..? It doesn't really show that much on any other pics, but is that because all the rest are a bit washed out ?

Cheers

Phil

Phil, Phiiiiiilllll, wowww, very nice indeed, your really going at it! I see the spatter too, looks like low pressure airbrush misting to me?

lee

Hey blokes, a few more pics of the work up to now...

falconrust1sml-1.jpg

falconrust3sml.jpg

falconrust2sml.jpg

As you can see, I tried to add some paint chipping to the red panels with liquid mask but I think it looks too heavy, I'll have to add it at the end..I thought the red looked a bit too red as well, so out with the masking tape again and three hours later I got this..
falconrust4colourcorrectsml.jpg

Overall colour looks a bit different from the other shots, 'cos it was late in the day without flash,...but the red looks a bit less bright now, I added some rust and a drop of yellow to it..anyhoo...waddaya think ?

Btw, there's a pic in the sculpting a galaxy book that shows some serious splatter on the upper surface on the radar dish side. Does anyone know if it really is that pronounced, or just that the printing has made it more obvious..? It doesn't really show that much on any other pics, but is that because all the rest are a bit washed out ?

Cheers

Phil
I think the spatter really is that developed. There's a thread on the sci-fi page over at the scale model addict site that has the best studio scale paint job i've seen.it's a fm falcon by merseajohn.

The red on the Falcon and x-wings always seems a bit confusing since the color when first applied looks very red, but often in shots, such as in Sculpting A Galaxy, it looks darker and more brownish. Just trying to help. Those are the only thoughts about the pics that stick out to me.

The red on the Falcon and x-wings always seems a bit confusing since the color when first applied looks very red, but often in shots, such as in Sculpting A Galaxy, it looks darker and more brownish. Just trying to help. Those are the only thoughts about the pics that stick out to me.

I used n insignia red with a touch of brown and I liked it lot. It almost had a maroon vibe

I'm jaw dropping speechless..... and she's not even done yet. Phenominal work Phil!!!

Guys, a bit more progress...

fulldarkersml.jpg

turret2sml.jpg

enginedeck1sml.jpg

Looks a bit darker in real life.. the engine deck streaking is almost black but you get the idea..

Cheers

Phil

Btw, just been having a real close look at the oil leaks/streaks that are all over this thing...They are a very tight line..I don't think I can get that tight or straight a line with my airbrush.
Were they hand brushed on I wonder, with a small amount of spray at the top of each..there are some paint runs at the top of some of them..I seem to recall a pic of Bill George hand brushing streaks onto the imperial shuttle. Could they have done this on the falcon do you reckon ?..
Any ideas always welcome

Cheers folks

Phil

Hey Phil,

She's really coming along beautifully now, you've come a long way already.

As for the straight-line streaking, you can hand brush it with a really thin wash and the straight edge of a piece of paper. Here's a guy who used a combination of paint and pastels to do the same trick on his Fine Molds Falcon:

Building the Falcon: Deconstructing the damage

If you want a really sharp line, you can use the sticky end of a post-it note. As with any technique like this, practice makes perfect.

Agreed Kevin, some of them are def hand painted and it would be very hard to replicate with the airbrush. I did this tec on my Red 3 and after a few attempts got it down to how I wanted.

Phil, it really is looking incredible, Flat out gorgeous and very inspiring.

Very inspiring indeed. This is seriously making me want to build one someday.

BRAVO!!!!! She's absolutely GORGEOUS!! I have to agree with Scott Graham about the red color, I think it may need to be a little more on the rust side. Other than that...... Incredible job, be very very proud of your work with this one!

Wow, that looks awesome.

It's always tickled me the way they painted the exhaust residue radiating from ship center instead of straight aft. One of these days I'm gonna paint an Action Fleet Falcon or somesuch that way just to see how it looks. (Gotta go accurate for SS, of course!)

Ha, & you were worried about the painting Phil, she's stunning mate!.
Maybe 'soft' masking for the engine streaks mate, you can get as hard a line as you want, depending on the distance of the mask.
Joe Johnston was a master at this technique, specially on the big Falcon.
Stu

VERY nice work!

And personally, I don't thiink there was very mch airbrushing on the SS falcon at all

Have to agree, Phil, you have raised the bar on this ship no end, and it takes tremendous stones to even tackle it, only a very select few have built this bird, this is an amazing example, the hull build alone would scare the life out of me lol.

As for the paintwork, dont know what the hell you were worried about, its flawless, much like your build/prep work, its always a pleasure to see your work buddy!

lee

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back