Red? Some V3 tinkering!

I cant see any difference on the snap fix tabs ?

Count 'em:

7e48.jpg

Actually, they're at Skywalker Ranch in the Archives, and they're depressing, trust me. :) You're doing just fine :)

_Mike

Thanks Mike :) Ill bet they are depressing...time doesnt tell well on props such as these i guess....bloody shame really, restore them i say and let generations learn from them!

bests......lee

Count 'em:

7e48.jpg

Yeah ? I see what you mean but I think you're incorrect. Because you're showing only one can. And not the other half... I think you say that because you can on the Lee's pic 2 snap fix tabs/side (well in fact there are 8 of them but the bottom ones are hidden :)).
The fact is that one half has 4 snap tix tabs and the other has 8 (which take in sandwitch the ones of the other half).

You are not talking about the same part...

And to be honest, I dont think they have retooled that. Maybe someone else could confirm that ?

Look carefully, guys. I only posted the one half (part 43) because that's the half that has two snaps per side in the retooled kit. You don't have to trust me on this - I have a kit with parts 43 and 44 both still attached to the sprue and I can post a 6 megapixel photo if you like, but I share what I know and I check my stuff pretty carefully. If I learn that I'm wrong, I appreciate the new knowledge that I've gained, and I try and make sure that the incorrect info that I've given out gets stomped on. In this case, I'm not wrong. I'd noticed the differences in the snaps and the bells on pictures of the X-wings before I bought the vintage Saturn V kit. I even bought a Saturn IB kit because I didn't think that those kinds of things would have been re-tooled, but the IB wasn't like the X-wing pictures either. So finally I paid out for a '75 Airfix Saturn V kit and the parts looked exactly like I was hoping they would.

I've invested over $5000 dollars on kits and thousands of hours in researching the X-wing miniatures. I finally stopped buying kits when my only criterion for purchase became "was this kit in production before 1976?"

If you have a question about Studio scale miniatures, post it here on the RPF. If you know the answer to a question, post it here on the RPF. If somebody publicly posts incorrect information, chances are, somebody else will correct it. If somebody PMs you information, how will you know if it's correct or not? Case in point, the lower round shape of the intakes is actually cut from the Sealab hull.

Case in point, the lower round shape of the intakes is actually cut from the Sealab hull.

Yes that's very true. Anyway thanks for correct me, better later than never !
I told that because on my pics of the wings under construction those parts were clear and I didnt know at this time that one of the half of the Sealab body was clear.

At least I try to share what I know or believe with other and I'm not trying to keep the info/ref pics or whatever you want for myself.

Last edited:
Well, im proven wrong, along with Julien, thats why you guys rule, you know so much about these miniatures, props to you all and my apologies, sincerely!
Good luck with the $5K build up LOL.

lee

Fair comment, and maybe i read you all wrong, i dont know, im a moody cus, but yeah,divorce....i guess thats a possibility in this hobby :lol.

lee

Well after the arrival of my armature, i got a lot of wind in my sails.
Fitted the mech, and spent an age getting it all trued up, my hulls are slightly warped, so any centre marking still made the job a tricky one, but its as close as can be now.
Made a simple bracket from K&S to secure the main tube to the bulkhead!

SalzoV3014.jpg

SalzoV3013.jpg

Just heed this guys, any of you intending to fit Hero Plexi wings, with all the lovely undercuts...it wont work right now with the set up you have, were looking into new wing brackets....the height of our brackets, comes out as a tad over 1".

For the Hero dims to work, were looking at a 3/4" height on the bracket, and a 1" throw out...mucho thanks to Julien Ceresa for the input on his own set up...this has enabled me to find a set up that will work, and allow us an open and close system that is accurate, let the closed wings just meet, and give clearance for the lower Sealab rounds!

Nobodies fault on this BTW, Jason and the guys at the shop worked hard to create this, but it was all designed around the V3 hull and wings, and V3 wings, are slightly thicker it appears to the Hero dims, if your using V3 resin...your still good to go, so again, still a big shout out to the mad scientist, and our own Jason Eaton!

More on the new set up (just brackets TBH) as and when!

bests.....lee

I love the work you have done with the X Wing so far. I just got one myself and I'm planning on starting it shortly. Love the additions you have made so far. Keep up the good work.

Lee, did hero brackets ever get made? I still plan to revisit the X-Wing with scratched wings... no rush of course (groan)... so much to do!

I'm sitting on a few vintage Saturn Vs and 2 Smithsonian releases and never noticed the difference in the tabs of the cans. Though, I'll have to disagree about the clarity of the parts. The Smithsonian releases are easily on par with the 70s releases, but of a less opaque white plastic which may not appear to be as sharp. Unless you're looking for the mold damage:
molddamage.jpg

Now that the Saturn V has been retooled with entirely new parts I'd say don't pass up a good price on a Smithsonian release. No one's gonna check under your cans, and modifying the bells takes minutes. Left to right: unmodified, modified, vintage release.
svmod.jpg

Gotta love an X Wing with an armature... looking terrific so far. Great thread and project. I think there are a lot of us who will be paying attention to the wing construction.

I'll be paying attention to this one for sure, and thanks to Miniaturizer Ray for all the research. :thumbsup Oh and Laser cut acrylic wings? WANT.:lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back