Fritz Lang's Metropolis Whole at Last! (Prop discussion)

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I accidentally found a hi-rez version of Brigitte Helm in the suit - that pic with the hairdryer.

Back in a jiffy.

-Mike

m2.jpg

I have not retouched this image.

It was cropped and saved at the highest quality I could (and keep under 75 kB). That is all.

This came from Kino, buried deep within the 'press' section of their web site.

-Mike

Man, that site is also a great resource for some other movies. (Chaplin, specifically, found a lot of great City Lights and Modern Times stills.)

m2.jpg

I have not retouched this image.

It was cropped and saved at the highest quality I could (and keep under 75 kB). That is all.

This came from Kino, buried deep within the 'press' section of their web site.

-Mike

A few things

1) Did you notice the sculpting marks on the suit ? It's especially visible on the lines on the legs (though it's clearer on other images)
2) They seem to have removed the semi circular elbow joint on her left arm
3) If you look carefully at the gap in the elbow, it looks like some kind of material, possibly fabric, which may be repeated in the legs. There is a gap on the right leg which may show one of the areas that "pinched" her so much.
4) There is some kind of screw in the right hand. you can also see the seam of the glove. In other images you can see that the middlefinger has an L-shaped bracket extension on the tip.

wow, i never noticed those rib pieces appear to be raised off the surface, not part of the sculpted detail, but actual separate pieces suspended.

Ive been slowly chipping away at peices of the False Maria costume for several years. I recently decided it was time to quit back burnering it and pulled out my half done sculpts.

Ive had a helmet done for about 5 years and a few friends received copies of that.

Ive completed the arms at this point and molded the hands. These things were pretty tough to deceipher from the original screen shots but I got pretty close.

I may at some point rework some small areas but I did pull up a fiberglas set and took some pics.

Im not real sure how they attached the upper and lower halves but my thought was that it would have to be 1920s tech so I simply used some elastic to hold the top to the bottom. They clam shell open and the hand slides in. The front has an odd metal bracket that holds the top and bottom together.

I have the upper arms complete and Im tweaking the forearms now. I did the body cast of my model last weekend and Ill be sculpting the torso starting tomorrow.

LMK what you think.

Richie

FalseMariahands.jpg

Very cool, Richie.

Regarding the suit material: I thought we discussed that earlier in this thread? Maybe that was another thread. Anyway, I assumed it was some kind of putty-like material, like a wood filler or something. I could swear we saw some quotes from the sculptor about it, when we were discussing color.

-Mike

I do.

Yes it was wood putty. Ok Im not going to make it out of wood putty!!!

I have my personal helmet and I can e-mail pics if anyone likes to see it.
The helmet is mezmerising to look at!!! That dead eyed look is very creepy in person!!!

On another note. I was politely contacted that this is now a licensed product so everyone is clear this is simply a personal project that I have done out of love for the original costume stylings. I have made a helmets as gifts but I have no plans to offer these. Never did. Simply showing my progress.

Ive long wanted to see one of these walking around at DragonCon with a Rotwang leading her!! Think that would be cool!!!

Richie

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back