Fritz Lang's Metropolis Whole at Last! (Prop discussion)

Re: Fritz Lang's Metropolis Whole at Last!

We were approached last year, and will be releasing our licensed 'Maschinenmensch' (False Maria), and other related pieces in the near future, including some items from original moulds. It is our joyous burden to produce the most accurate replica of the lost iconic robot produced to date. Updates and details will go up on our site, along with progress images, and a formal announcement in the future.

That is excellent news... best of luck with the project, Scott. Very nice to hear this one's in such capable hands!

Tom

I cannot acces the part of this didcussion that was moved to the Off Topic section. What do I have to do?

make more posts, be here longer.......that sort of thing

or you can paypal me some cash and ill forward you the posts:lol

Found the site where I originally got the photo. It's defunct, but the Wayback Machine is your friend!

Metropolis 1927 - Film Archive - Bits n' Pieces

I quote: "Surviving versions of the movie Metropolis do not feature any reference to, or images of, money, yet for the original film money was specially printed and used on a number of occasions. Reference to money is found throughout Thea von Harbou's novel Metropolis, whilst within the film it features heavily in the Slim / Josaphat sub-plot, whereby Slim goes to the latter's apartment and successfully bribes him to leave Metropolis and desist from helping Freder. The money was also used by Georgy to gain access to the Yoshiwara nightclub and imbide in its carnel pleasures. He had found a large quantity of it in his pockets when he swapped clothes with Freder at the paternoster machine. Though Georgy had intented to take a message to Josaphat regarding a meeting with Freder, the temptation of the money was too great and he never made it to Josaphat's apartment.

"The Deutsche Kinemathek, Berlin, contains a number of examples of this Metropolis money, in 100, 500 and 1000 Mark (Metropolis) denominations. A sample is reproduced above. It is interesting that money should feature this way in Metropolis, for Germany suffered a number of notable financial crises during the 1920s. The country was in the grip of hyperinflation during 1923, just prior to Fritz Lang and Thea von Harbou setting down to write their script, and it faced similar problems (though to a lesser degree) during the latter part of 1926, as filming neared completion. This latter financial crisis placed pressure on Ufa executives to ensure that Metropolis - the most expensive German film to date - earned foreign income, particularly in the form of US dollars. The result? - the savage editing of Fritz Lang's three hour version down to a ninety minute American edition.

"At one point towards the end of 1923 inflation in Germany was at the rate of more than 12 million per cent, and hundred thousand mark notes were being printed. It is therefore interesting that there are a number of similarities between the design of the Metropolis money and the one hundred thousand million Mark note which featured in the famous Dada collage 'Bankruptcy Vultures' by Hungarian refugee and Bachaus lecturer Laszlo Moholy-Nagy (reproduced below)."

Just been to the Kinemathek museum. The Ray Harryhausen exibition is pretty amazing! There is also a Vader costume from ESB. They had the robot suit from metropolis as well as a gold replica for sale in the shop.

Great thread of information guys. Been wanting a nice Maria for awhile now. The money looks very cool. Definitely would be in for a run! ;)

Just been to the Kinemathek museum. The Ray Harryhausen exibition is pretty amazing! There is also a Vader costume from ESB. They had the robot suit from metropolis as well as a gold replica for sale in the shop.
Hmmm... So, any remaining banknotes they might have are probably in storage if they're not on display.

Well, hopefully still in storage...

Ages ago, I saw a video of Forry Ackerman giving a tour of his home (before he had to sell everything). He had a Maria that he said fans in Germany made for him and that the original had been destroyed when Berlin was bombed in WWII. I don't know his source of that info..

Ages ago, I saw a video of Forry Ackerman giving a tour of his home (before he had to sell everything). He had a Maria that he said fans in Germany made for him and that the original had been destroyed when Berlin was bombed in WWII. I don't know his source of that info..

Forry's Replica was originally made by Bill Malone, years back.
The one in Paris was done by Mittendorf himself.

The original is long lost, presumed destroyed.

Forry's Replica was originally made by Bill Malone, years back.
The one in Paris was done by Mittendorf himself.

The original is long lost, presumed destroyed.

The original was made as a rubber costume, so even if it the world war it would be dust today. There is also a replica at the German Film Museum in Frankfurt. I have some photos someplace. Not a very good copy, my Fred B statue is much better, but still not as nice as I'd like.

I was planning on doing my own based on some photos I got from the museum's archives but It looks like someone may already be on it.

Where is the figure in Paris? I may be there in Feb.

BrianM

The original Maschinenmensch costume was destroyed during the filming. It burned in the fire, and was done so for the film. It was fabricated from a firm, tooling wood composite material, new to the field in those days, and was rigid (no flexibility at all).

The subsequent sculpt by Walter that now resides in the Paris museum was a ground up rework, and has a completely different look than the original.
Our Maschinenmensch will be of the original film suit, and as I indicate,an official licensed offering.

Here is the suit. Looks like fiberglass to me. I took a load more images which I'll post another time.

2672099521_9656ff0b5d_o.jpg

All the bank notes are on show. Though I'm not sure if they're originals. Looked like colour photocopies close up. I took some close up pics which I'll try to piece together and cleanup.

2672099401_78bdccf133_o.jpg

The info reads:

"To publicize the film, Ufa printed special bank notes with the signature of Fritz Lang, scriptwriter Thea von Harbou, cameramen Karl Freund and Gunther Rittau and architect Otto Hunte."

My girlfriend told me that apparently lots of lost footage from the movie was found archived in an old museum. Maybe a special edition release is in the works :cool

The original Maschinenmensch costume was destroyed during the filming. It burned in the fire, and was done so for the film. It was fabricated from a firm, tooling wood composite material, new to the field in those days, and was rigid (no flexibility at all).

The subsequent sculpt by Walter that now resides in the Paris museum was a ground up rework, and has a completely different look than the original.
Our Maschinenmensch will be of the original film suit, and as I indicate,an official licensed offering.

I wondering then, what are you doing for the back?

BrianM

Good pic of the 100 note, but I cant make out the letters just below the UFA symbol.

Hopefully it will be enough to run a font check on.

How similar is this to German cash of the 1920s?

I wondering then, what are you doing for the back?

BrianM

The only reference for the back would be the statue Mittendorf made for the Cinematheque in Paris Bercy. There was a drawing made based on this on the Muesart site. http://muesart.com/2-d/concept-sketch-metropolis-robot/

In an interview, Mittendorf said that the robot was done in plastic-wood, a paste like material that could be sculpted. They did a cast of actress Brigitte Helm and sculpted the suit over it, much like a suit of armour. It was then painted in a silvery bronze colour.

The only reference for the back would be the statue Mittendorf made for the Cinematheque in Paris Bercy. There was a drawing made based on this on the Muesart site. http://muesart.com/2-d/concept-sketch-metropolis-robot/

In an interview, Mittendorf said that the robot was done in plastic-wood, a paste like material that could be sculpted. They did a cast of actress Brigitte Helm and sculpted the suit over it, much like a suit of armour. It was then painted in a silvery bronze colour.

Brigitte Helm told Forry, who told my wife (who made the costume for the 1984 world con), that the costume had no back just straps. And That it felt like rubber.

BrianM

All the bank notes are on show. Though I'm not sure if they're originals. Looked like colour photocopies close up. I took some close up pics which I'll try to piece together and cleanup.

2672099401_78bdccf133_o.jpg

The info reads:

"To publicize the film, Ufa printed special bank notes with the signature of Fritz Lang, scriptwriter Thea von Harbou, cameramen Karl Freund and Gunther Rittau and architect Otto Hunte."
You, sir, are a GOD! :D

Many thanks!

Wow, you can even make out the numbers!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back