Worf's Kahless and Morath Statue

SgtFang

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I really want to finish this thing this year and the available reference on Google is pretty dismal-

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h177/epeab3/Kahless_and_Morath_statue.jpg

I've got some pretty high level guys looking for better pics for me, (Mike- I'll GIVE you that Dobby statue if you can scare me up a portfolio of decent, sculptworthy pics!)

Anyone got anything that I can re-create from? It's gotta be big and well detailed.

Thanks!

-Sarge

Last edited:
I just wanted to add, if it's a pic that can be found on Google at all, I already have it. :)

-Sarge

Sarge,

Hope you find the reference pics you are looking for...off the subject I sent you a PM regarding a Vader helmet.

mike

Does this help...

Kahless_and_Morath_statue.jpg

Youve been pushing for this piece for years... I have nothing useful to contribute, but would love to see it finished and have one on my shelf. I know pooling funds to buy the original didnt work out for you, but do you know where it ended up?

Does this help...

Kahless_and_Morath_statue.jpg

I think that shows a little more of the waist/ hip area (I've got the same pic, but more "cropped"), but I really need more detail of the faces and their loin cloths and belts. Thanks though!

I've finally got a pretty good idea where the original ended up, by one of my buddy's is trying to swing the deal, so I'm letting him handle it for now.

I've got a sculpt I started like 15 years ago, but it's been stuck ever since, waiting for better reference material. :lol

-Sarge

The more I look at it, the more I think it might be a 'real world' statue with the Klingon hair and foreheads sculpted/added on to it. Note that these are the only parts that appear to be a different colour.

Some more potentially useful info here...

http://www.klingon-empire.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4859

Here are some salient points from Page 2 of that thread...

Several years ago Toscano's Catalogs had the statue available for about 250 USD for about a year

Yeah, the Design Toscano statue is what mine is based on. They were manufactured for them by Orlandi Stauary in Chicago. That one is apparently a direct copy of the original "Duel of Honor", but I never thought to write down the original sculptor's name so that I could find pics of it later.

The "duel" statue was a lot different originally, the two fighters were wearing voluminous togas that had to be ground off w/ a Dremel tool, and they were originally depicted as skinny teens. I had to grind off the togas, then build up their musculature quite a bit in clay. Also, I had to build up the rock under Kahless' foot (it wasn't there originally) and reshape the base.

And if those posts hold any water, then this might be the place that made the statue the original was based on...

http://www.orlandistatuary.com

I went through all my next gen referance books and my card sets but I could not find a single image of it. The only other way I can think of would be a screen grab from an ep but i'm sure you have already used that method.

I think that shows a little more of the waist/ hip area (I've got the same pic, but more "cropped"), but I really need more detail of the faces and their loin cloths and belts. Thanks though!

I've finally got a pretty good idea where the original ended up, by one of my buddy's is trying to swing the deal, so I'm letting him handle it for now.

I've got a sculpt I started like 15 years ago, but it's been stuck ever since, waiting for better reference material. :lol

-Sarge

Hey there. Been lurking for a while, but new to the forum. I used to wrestle, and this is a reproduction of an old wrestling statue. look for Swedish parian group of wrestlers at christies.com
While this one is the real deal and pricey, there are cheap bronze reproductions. I've seen them, though many years ago.
I hope this helps.

Dumb question... but why would they buy that statue and go through the work of resculpting the whole thing? Seems wasteful when they could have just sculpted it.

I'm certainly not saying that it is not this statue, as certainly appears to be. Just seemed like a ridiculous decision to me.

There's a high school wrestling trophy that's very close to this pose, I've seen it at our school. i'll see if I can nab some pics.

Thanks Sabersaint!

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/...1347&sid=ae61c961-e929-401e-b548-3c6347d5f216

It does look close...

d5181347l.jpg

This looks like the real deal...

50446095.jpg

Yup! That's the one I've based my sculpt on-

45ba705c.jpg

164c700e.jpg

d567cd1b.jpg

Design Toscano used to sell this one, and had them made by Orlandi Statuary in Chicago. One thing I "do" think though, is that the Klingon statue was probably sculpted on a knock-off of the original, due to a couple slight variations in the pose- "Morath's" forearm, where it goes across "Kahless' " forehead is seperate, and positioned slightly lower than on the original for example.

That Chrisites auction is a great help though, because I'd long forgotten the artist's name, and that will help immensely looking for replicas! :)

Thanks!

-Sarge

Dumb question... but why would they buy that statue and go through the work of resculpting the whole thing? Seems wasteful when they could have just sculpted it.

I'm certainly not saying that it is not this statue, as certainly appears to be. Just seemed like a ridiculous decision to me.

Yeah, that's another reason I'm thinking it was sculpted over a look-alike knock-off. Grinding off that cursed toga and everything else took forever! :lol

I'm betting the knock-off they used was already in that pose, but without the toga, and with the more heroic style musculature. Probably also with the rock already under Kahless' foot.

-Sarge

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back