Randy Cooper Star destroyer FINISHED! Page 7

GF

Sr Member
Finally!!! the most difficult and time consuming process of the assembly is out of the way, now the fun and easy stuff begins.

As you can see I scribed all the rear inner fins and lots of clean up was required between those ridges, the panels are huge and tricky to glue togheter, you really need to plan out your assembly and buy lots of clamps! the side trench don't fit perfect, one side is too short and the other to long, a 1/4 " extention was needed. If done properly not putty is needed at the joints, my fit was so perfect that the joints are barely visible and will dissapear and blend in with the rest of the scribed lines

BTW A belt sander is a must, many long parts need to be thinned out.

GFollano

Last edited:
Re: Wip R.c. Star Destroyer

Take as many pictures as you can. What areas required all the sanding? Can you show us the areas you rescribed? Can you show us a picture of where the 1/4" extension was needed?

It's very helpful seeing the stages of these models like this!!! It takes away alot of the apprehension about starting the kit. Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Dave :)

Take as many pictures as you can. What areas required all the sanding? Can you show us the areas you rescribed? Can you show us a picture of where the 1/4" extension was needed?

Here are some photos showing the 1/4" extension which was added at the joint, the side trenches are made of 3 seperate parts, added another photos showing the scribed rear fins.

Most of main panel edges need to be belt sanded down so the side trenches fit nice and flush everywhere, you need to do the same for the smaller side ledges that go all around the upper and lower areas of the trenches, they are too thick and need some clean up.

The trenches are not consistent and vary a little in width in some areas, like most garage kist it will require some fiddling around these problems.

The casting is TOP NOTCH!!! pratically no airbubbles on such a detailed model, If only Kobarth's
much simpler Super Destroyer was close to this quality.

GFollano

Last edited:

Something I was thinking before tackling mine, was to prime the parts first and paint them (aside from the main body segments which would need to be connected first), since there are so many nooks and crannies that could potentially run with paint later trying to shoot them? Then giving it a light coat after everything is assembled to hide whatever is left. Also, spraying the inside black so that if one was to attempt lighting this baby, there would be no light leaks if fiber optics weren't used but just a few bright light sources?

JV

When i first saw this thread i thought "RC Star Destroyer ? How the hell would a remote controlled Star Destryer work :lol".
Then i remebered that these are the intials from Randy lol !

GF that is great work you doing there ! Can't wait to see her finished ! Do you plan lights ?

My SD is here at the customs office and i will get it monday :) Hope everything is alrighty with it (i can't stand these custom guys).

Philip

:D I came looking for the remote controled Star Destroyer as well. I'm a little disapointed...jk sweet build!

:D I came looking for the remote controled Star Destroyer as well. I'm a little disapointed...jk sweet build!

Sorry guys just changed the title, will post new photos soon, didn't have much time to work on it lately.

GFollano

When i first saw this thread i thought "RC Star Destroyer ? How the hell would a remote controlled Star Destryer work :lol".
Then i remebered that these are the intials from Randy lol !

GF that is great work you doing there ! Can't wait to see her finished ! Do you plan lights ?

My SD is here at the customs office and i will get it monday :) Hope everything is alrighty with it (i can't stand these custom guys).

Philip

Hey Philip,

no lights, it's though enough building it as is, putting lights in this will be very time consuming but would look incredible.

GFollano

Hey Gerardo,
Looking fantastic. Outstanding attention to detail. Cant wait to see this finished. :love

Carl

Hey Philip,

no lights, it's though enough building it as is, putting lights in this will be very time consuming but would look incredible.

GFollano

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer

Here's are some new progress pics.

The tower/neck part was a real pain to fit properly, it required major mods and lots of test fitting and sanding, also a extension was needed at the base of the neck to fill gap since it doesn't sit flush.

Randy's instructions states this would be necessary, I went the extra mile and took the opportunity to accurize the side vent detail area which I scratchbuilt, I sanded down the original vent detail and added my improved parts which fill the extension nicely and looks more accurate,

I got the angle of the hull perfectly, all the upper decks fit perfectly flush but somehow the tower didn't, there was no other oprion around this problem.

I also had to rework some fine details from a bad molding seems which misaligned most of the details seen in the last pics.

GFollano

Last edited:

As you're aware, I had the very same problem but my gap was quite a lot worse.

Looking good there! :cool

As you're aware, I had the very same problem but my gap was quite a lot worse.

Looking good there! :cool

Yes I remember,

I added a 4mm extension, the rear not as much was needed since I added styrene between the rudders like the original, which also serves as a platform for the neck to sit closer.

I tried everything to bring it a close as possible to the hull to minimize the extension as much as possible, still couldn't get it under 4mm

GFollano

Last edited:

Looks great Gerardo, I'm a bit concerned to hear I'm gonna need a belt sander for this..are you sure it's an essencial ?

Cheers

Phil

Looks great Gerardo, I'm a bit concerned to hear I'm gonna need a belt sander for this..are you sure it's an essencial ?

Cheers

Phil

Hey Phil,

It's not essential but will save you a bunch of time and make it much easier.

The problem is that the main hull edges need to be sanded off up to 1/16 in areas at full lenght so it's even thickness everywhere for the trench parts to sit flush all around, by hand it would take forever, also all the long side strips (as seen in photo) will need sanding down to remove thickness (excess resin material) a belt sander makes the job easier and sanding will be perfectly flat. It could be done by hand but would take a while.

I purchased a simple $60.00 Black & Decker hand held belt sander, I just flip it over and clamp on my workbench, it's worth the money, peices are much easier to flat down or removing excess material in a few minutes, now I use it all the time.

GFollano

Last edited:

The problem is that the main hull edges need to be sanded off up to 1/16 in areas at full lenght so it's even thickness everywhere for the trench parts to sit flush all around,
GFollano

Do you have any pictures that show us what you mean by this?

Ken

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back