Medical Frigate part ID help

ShowCraft

Sr Member
Anyone want to take a guess as to what this long ribbed bar started out as? Its about 17 inches in length.

Last edited:
Ive looked at that one for ages, and cant even begin to think what it is!
First i thought some kind of heatsink, but im not sure.
I have to say, i myself dont feel its a kit part, its more a found item that looked cool, or it was handmade.
Good luck, there are some cool things to find on the Frigate!

lee

One other thought i had, is the hex shapes were from the Tamiya Leichter, cut in half and attached to a tube, but the part isnt quite right!
Shes covered is various F1 kits too, but even they have not been fruitful!

lee

I"m speaking of the whole ribbed bar. Its obviously a found object about 17 inches long. It would also be very light weight.

Hmm roller, good call, could be, it would be light i guess!
Rob all sorts are on this one, its a complete mish mash of ILM madness.
Tamiya F1's like the 1/12 Brabham BT44, 1/20 BT46 are two that spring to mind!
Other kits are Morser Karls, Saturn V's, Monogram B29, Tamiya POW, the list is just ongoing, its lik they just opened boxes and went nuts lol.

lee

I just knew you would get around to building this ship Jim. I recall you mentioning a start on it about 7 or 8 years ago...:) I would love to build one myself- it's one of my grail builds.

Thinking back to the time the Neb was built, could the part be some sort of Xerox machine greeblie? The guys may be on to something- it's almost surely a roller of some sort. Paint roller insert? What sort of gadgets would they have had lying around in the model shop back then? Hmmm.

Mike, Oz

could the part be some sort of Xerox machine greeblie?

Mike, Oz

thats what i thought, but the parts inside those tend to be cylindrical rather than the shape we see. its got notches at the end which says to me it probably get rotated inside a machine, but what machine???

z

A3 (11'' x 17'') dot matrix printer - lower part of paper feed (roller). But they were rather expencive in late 1970s early 1980s, and I dont see them removing it unless it was broken. Is the pin holder visable on the other end???

May be a wind goose chase, but it looks like one and its the right size.

regards

Ozzy

Lots of good suggestions guys, thanks.
Whatever this thing is, I'm sure its light weight plastic and unmodified with the exception of a few kit parts added.
The tell will be the nipple thingy on the front which appears to be a moisture or dust resistant pressure grommet and also the little blocks on top of the front most ribs. These are most certainly parts of the original piece and not added on.

OK, about time this question was asked again. Anyone have any idea what this part is? (ignore the kit parts coloured light blue)

upjrP.jpg

Aquarium filter? Auto power steering cooler? Maybe something lying around the ILM shop like a Xerox printer cartridge or an optical shop item like a film processing machine roller. It's a tough one to work out!

Mike

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back