TK409 GONK Droid tutorial *New pics & video*

Trooper TK409

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've finished the paint and weathering. Here's a video of my 7 yr old daughter wearing our new GONK. Many thanks to RileyReplicas and Dr. Maul their fantastic examples and tips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iL-Of5YUU

Just wanted to share my recent journey into Gonkdom.
I realize he isn't totally screen-accurate - it's tough to find storage bins that are exactly right, but I think I added a couple features that are sometimes left out.The feet turned out to be the biggest challenge. I built them out of foamcore and hot-glue, then coated them with Rigid Wrap for strength.Total cost was about $40. Tutorial info is included on the images below. Let me know what you think!

Click here for some great screencaps of Gonk droids in the Star Wars movies. I took these from the ANH dvd and Deleted Magic dvd. In my research, I found that the Gonk is actually a dark tan rather than the gray I initially imagined. The Deleted Magic DVD has some great closeups of the Lars Homestead Gonk too and I included them. There are also some shots showing the Mos Eisley Gonk standing next to a man about 6ft tall and gives you a better idea of the actual size of these things.

Finished Photos & Tutorials
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbartlett/tags/gonk/

List of parts
* 18 gallon storage bins
* garage door bottom seal
* 8" square baking pan
* 2 round plastic food containers
* pack of long zip-ties
* ribbed hose
* dryer vent hose
* 1 sheet foamcore (also called gatorboard)
* some square and round greeblies
* sheet of ABS plastic

4088088571_89927e56ea_o.jpg

2563942117_8d9c09df72_o.jpg

2563942137_46e14f1fec_o.jpg

Last edited:
Re: TK409 GONK Droid tutorial

Yes, the feet were too floppy in the first video! The paint and weathering is done and I added new photos and video to the top post.

I've thought about doing one as a costume for my kids, but I don't know how long it would last on them. I have built one as a static prop, though, so I may try one in the future. For the prop, I cut the feet out of wood and vacuformed a set. Sturdy and looks pretty nice. Yours looks great!

Scott

I LOVE IT!!!! I've been meaning to construct a 1/2 size Gonk as mu computer case, but haven't had the chance yet..
That is gorgeous!!!
Thanks Skaught. Yeah, my daughter couldn't see anything. I'd have to make a replacement face that had a window or something. For my next set of feet I'm going to try either RileyReplica's foam-carved idea or your vacuform method.

You could always replace the bottom of the inset pan with smoked plastic, ala the cheeks of the Vader stunt helmets.

I had the idea for a tinted acryllic "face" too. Just glue the greeblies on that. How does it stay up? Suspenders?

Scott

well here I've been looking for a good tub and you make yours out of one I had already passed up and it ends up looking great! lmao, bought my own two today :love

I was having the same trouble trying to find a decent tub. The GonkBuilders Yahoo group has a nice photo gallery of current storage bins that are available in places like Walmart and Target. You can pick which one you like and at least have it in mind when you go. This got me thinking and I figured out the approximate dimensions of the screen-used ANH Gonks.

If anyone has definitive info regarding dimensions, please post!

gonk-height.jpg

Haha, sweet droid!
That's awesome.
Now, do you have to rope your kids into helping or are they "into" it as well?

Very, very cool!

Thanks! My kids generally are into it if we're building costumes they asked for. They'll help me glue stuff together or whatever. My oldest daughter and I had a blast doing her Zam costume last year. My younger daughter, the one wearing the Gonk, helped me make the feet. She's the one who actually suggested this as her 2008 Halloween costume. It's an exercise in patience for me because I want it just right, but spending the time with her and building her confidence is worth more than total accuracy, you know? Makes for good memories.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back