Dinosaur Fans! Check THIS Out!

This kit has a nice presence because of its large size and anatomically it isn't too bad apart from the very simplified skull, but I decided to embark on a project to make it much more accurate and also dramatically alter its posture.
<<snipped middle for brevity>>
That's where I'm up to so far. If there is some interest in this, I'll show progress as I go.
Eventually I'll repaint the whole thing and assemble a frame to restructure the skeleton into its new stance.
Thanks for looking.
Nice work! The 'tweeks' look very natural (organic?) - I'll be interested in seeing the full 'Monty' on this if you care to share it all (obviously, quite a project...)
Regards, Robert

Thanks guys.
Yeah it's turned into a more comprehensive project than I had originally intended but I kind of thought if you're going to do it, do it properly.
Concentrating piece by piece makes it fairly easy - just takes a bit of time, patience and carefully checking reference.
The kit has an ugly paint job and overall looks plasticky so hopefully once completed this should look more like the real specimen.
BTW, this is the stance I will be going for in the end.

Pose_zpstmwtrgax.jpg

Damn it. Mine's been sitting there waiting to be put together as a quick weekend build. Seeing all these great tweaks is making me think maybe I need to do something more with it.

Small update.
The skull is probably the most inaccurate part of the kit for arguably being the most important.
I'm replacing it with the skull shown on the left in the comparison below. It's 1:10 scale, slightly larger than the kit skull and feels a better size match for the rest of the body.
It's also much more accurate in shape and detail from the teeth down to the inner bones of the skull.
Have drilled a few openings and fissures into the lower jaw and I'll be rewiring it so the jaws are agape.

Skull1_zpsqkljrmiu.jpg

Skull2_zpsfrry6dvg.jpg

Skull3_zpsnrbcbdoa.jpg

Yep, the kit skull is fairly crude and a bit squashed in its overall dimensions.
Like Treadwell said, a replacement skull will be more than the cost of the kit but the kit is cheap relatively speaking.
And the new skull makes a night and day difference to the presence of this. After all, the skull is really the focal point.
Even if it's the only mod you make, teaming the rest of the kit with an accurate skull is more than worth it IMO.

Fntastic! I'm loving what you are doing. I love the idea of the more dynamic pose, like the one at the CMNH....I've been there many times and have a lot of pictures of the Rex display.

could you possibly post pictures of what the new skull looks like on the frame? I would also love to replace mine too but it looks a little large in the compairison pictures with the stock skull. Thanks and please keep the updates coming.

chris

I envy you Chris, would love to see the display in person, must be impressive.
My kit is in pieces everywhere so I can't really show how the skull looks in comparison.
I can say, however, the new skull, in terms of scale, matches the body perfectly IMO.
The stock skull, aside from being inaccurate is also undersized. The new skull is larger but not vastly so.
So the overall impression is much more accurate in detail, shape and scale.

I'm still working on the leg bones :cool

Thanks for getting back to me with info on the replacement skull. I'll probably bite the bullet and get one too. :)

Here is my Flikr album with pictures of my most recent trip to CMNH. Maybe they can help you out. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128706941@N08/sets/72157647703357993
In case you didn't know, the "juvenile" T-Rex, or Nanotyrannus depending on who you talk to, is a cast of "Jane". The other Rex facing off with the holotype is a cast of Pecks Rex MOR 980.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Really old thread here, but here is my 36" T-Rex.

857537_10207115459076310_6096151850017423874_o_zpsopg0csc9.jpg

I've never done any kind of weathering or dry brushing, so it was a first for me. I did the dry brushing with just some black acrylic. It ended up making the whole skeleton seem a bit less glossy, and there were a few pieces that had hardly any of the black on them to begin with.

I think it came out pretty well for my very first project like this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back