Dinosaur Fans! Check THIS Out!

Just for laffs here's the Edu Science skull vs the V-Rex bust from King Kong.

eduscivvrexen4.jpg

Kinto-Dinostoreus makes a whole line of scaled dinosaur skull and skeleton replicas. The skulls are not too expensive as it is.. but if this is some kind of cross-licensing deal with Toys R Us, maybe we'll see more of these issued in inexpensive kit form...?

http://www.linkandpinhobbies.com/dinofosl.htm

actually, I own 2 of the skulls and they are HEAVY and big

I think they are polystone, but they have a beautiful wood base with a brass plaque

good stuff:thumbsup

for all the interested parties here, there is also a 60" diplodocus skeleton and a 18" tall brachiosaur skeleton kit which would make nice accompanying pieces to this T-rex,

both are relatively easy to find on ebay, but I've also seen them at hobby lobby and on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Diplodocus-RO...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1196914061&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Brachiosaurus...=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1196914156&sr=1-30

also, when Disney released Dinosaur, there was a glow in the dark velociraptor skeleton that I bought and did a repaint and remount on, that is very nice, and at the time was $10-15 it was about 9" tall and 15" long
I know there were other skeletons (I think even a Carnotaurus) but I only got the Velociraptor at the time...

:thumbsup on this thread from a huge dinosaur enthusiast

and just to share my most recent dino (sorry about my reflection)
dino.jpg

Last edited:
So where do you guys go to get display plaques?

This dino needs about 12 or 13 inches across to stand on... I was initially thinking a round plaque, but a round-ended one like this (pic) or an oval one would work well too.

It doesn't have to have the height and ledges that the one in the photo has, nor the plaque... I think a plaque with just a simple bevel would work.

eduscivskintodinostoreusu0.jpg

- k

hobby lobby has quite a nice selection of good wooden bases that are ready for stain or paint with very little or no prep, and they're very reasonably priced

the ones at walmart are servicable, but they tend to be softer woods, and can get roughed up pretty easily

Michael's also carries some very nice ones

depending on weight, you probably want a harder wood, so avoid pine (which tend to be the really cheap ones)

If you're looking for big bases, Lowes and Home Depot carry wood pieces designed for making your own furniture (like end tables and such) generally in oak and harder woods, that will go into the 3 foot range, but they can get very pricey

Last edited:
if there's a Michael's in your area, you should still be in good shape

isn't that Sue, from the Chicago museum?

they are 39.99 at the TRU here!! wtf? I also don't think the skull is very well sculpted. :(

You can go to a trophy store and get all the nice bases and custom engraved nameplates you need.

they are 39.99 at the TRU here!! wtf? I also don't think the skull is very well sculpted. :(

You can go to a trophy store and get all the nice bases and custom engraved nameplates you need.

Just got mine today....shipped in 2 days. $24.97 on sale plus $5 shipping to my door! It's about time that Canadians pay less than US customers for the exact same item!:p

Is this the same head? I got this (head only) for about $10 at the la Brea Tar Pits gift shop...

DinoHead002.JPG

DinoHead003.JPG

DinoHead004.JPG

DinoHead005.JPG

That skull is also sold with the full skeleton. My oldest Son has the skull and we then got him the full skeleton kit. The full skeleton is quite rare.

If you want to see pictures of it, click this link, then scroll down close to the bottom of the page where the last two photos are and click the skeleton photo.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...rex&start=60&ndsp=20&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Keith.

Hell, it would almost look better just repainted 'all black' than as-is.

What I'm probably going to do after the holidays is shoot the whole skeleton bark brown, then mist on 2-3 gradually lighter "sand" colored coats to give it more of a full scale finish.

-Sarge

Have you noticed they put the front limbs on upside down on the box? lol!
I also think it looks better with the mouth closed. It hides the poorly sculpted lower teeth. It's pretty impressive though once it's all together and it stands on the base with no pins!

kinda thinking the same thing. Just rattle-can it.

I'm gonna go with a darker base and work towards a slate like finish.

Then again, flat black with a little brown 'Rub-n-buff' could look nice too. Fast and painless.

What I'm probably going to do after the holidays is shoot the whole skeleton bark brown, then mist on 2-3 gradually lighter "sand" colored coats to give it more of a full scale finish.

-Sarge

On a hunch I touched up the parts with some Antique Gold rub n buff... trying to get that weird metalllic-oily look that the real fossils have.

Of course now it kind of looks ilke a bronze statue... which is not so bad. :rolleyes

I was thinking I would unify the look and add some punch with a gloss clearcoat. But then I realized I forgot to consider... CAN you clearcoat Rub N Buff? :confused

DSC02195.jpg

DSC02200.jpg

DSC02213.jpg

vsral.jpg

Last edited:
I actually ran across that other 1/10 scale skeleton kit the other day. It's available online for $100 or so. Seems to be pitched as a "3 dimensional puzzle" rather than a (so very uncool these days) model kit. :lol

5768_20.JPG

ffec_20.JPG

On a hunch I touched up the parts with some Antique Gold rub n buff... trying to get that weird metalllic-oily look that the real fossils have.

Of course now it kind of looks ilke a bronze statue... which is not so bad. :rolleyes

I was thinking I would unify the look and add some punch with a gloss clearcoat. But then I realized I forgot to consider... CAN you clearcoat Rub N Buff? :confused

yes, you can clear coat rubb n buff, but you have to use an acrylic clear coat

that weird oily look the real fossils have is the sealant they use to protect the fossil once it's been excavated

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back