Dinosaur Fans! Check THIS Out!

Sooo sorry...just looked back in on this thread...I'll use my crappy photo skills tonight...just let me know what angles people wanna see of this thing and I'll see what I can do!

This thread needs pictures!!! :cry

SO here are some. :D

First impresions: BAD!

Big Ass Dinosaur. :cool

If I were a kid, I'd eat this thing up. Finally a BIG impresive dino kit. Definitely a great gift for a dino-lover of any age.

And yet... it's not without its disappointments. The presentation is pretty poor. The box touts "full color assembly poster with facts and history", but that turns out to be just a photo with numbers pointing to all the parts. No actual "assembly instructions" as such. :(

On the plus side, assembly is pretty straightforward pressure-fitting, so it's not hard to figure out. Mostly a matter of IDing the little numbers on all the parts and matching them to the photo. I would have appreciated a line diagram though.

Each piece is black plastic, with a dab of beige paint to highlight the texture. Unfortunately the base is vacformed from the SAME black plastic, wth the same beige paint! The box photo shows a green-and-brown base, which would have looked much better. As it is, everything the same color makes it look cheap and unimpressive. (this could be fixed with a little paint though)

The molding on the parts themselves looks pretty good though. I haven't assembled it yet but the spine of the kit is a bent aluminum square-section rod. The spine bones, skull and tail slip onto that, and the legs assemble with tab-and-socket construction.

So to summarize... a very nice kit! If it were cast in polystone resin, and had a more careful paint job, you could sell these in museum shops for hundreds of dollars.

I paid $50 shipped direct from Toys R Us (it seems to be a Toys R Us exclusive), which feels kind of high to me. If you love dinosaurs and absolutely have to have this now, I'd say it pushes the outer envelope of "worth it". If you can find it on sale, maybe after the holidays, it's a definite must-buy.

And of course it would make a great gift for someone who digs dinos. :cool

DSC02139.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

DSC02157.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I'll have to grab one for x-mas for my little ones. I think it is a prerequisite these days for all children to be dinosaur experts, at least mine seem to be. :lol

Yeah, the base being the same color as the rest of it was my biggest beef. The skeleton's feet just kind of blend right in and make it hard to see where the skeleton stops and the base begins.

I haven't had time to get out to a hobby shop yet to get some real faux finishing colors and the moss, but for now I just shot my base with grey primer, and then sponge painted it with some green acrylic I had laying around. It looks worlds better, but not as good as it could yet. :)

-Sarge

I'm considering chucking the base entirely and replacing it with a round black plaque. That would look more museum-ey. :cool

I think it is a prerequisite these days for all children to be dinosaur experts, at least mine seem to be. :lol

All kids love the dinosaurs! :D
Unfortunately most of them grow up and get distracted by other stuff. :lol

Some of us keep the love alive tho. Such magnificent creatures that once roamed the landscape. :)

And for us old codgers, it's a shock to thnk that next year is the FIFTEENTH anniversary of Jurassic Park. :confused

- k

"Museum-y" -- add that to the RPF dictionary! ;)

I think a nice cherry or mahogany oval wood plaque would look great.

Thanks for the pics Karl. Now get it built!

Can someone buy me one and ship it to the UK for me? I would like to get one for one of my Son's for Christmas.
I'll cover all costs and paypal fees of course.

Keith.

Reminds me of this.
http://www.aboyd.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DS 101
I never got one, but always thought it looked nice. Does anybody have one to compare?

Yeah, that's the 300.00+ one I mentioned earlier. I always wanted one, but just couldn't justify the price to myself.

Also, I just noticed that one's only 28" long vs. 36" :)

For the price, this one is still a fantastic deal. It could use a repaint, but I said that from the start. The only thing I'd have done differently on it would have been to make the forelegs as seperate pieces- they're molded as part of the "collarbone" and the detail on the joint where they meet the breastbone is a little soft. That can be cheated when we repaint though- just paint the line where they should attach a little darker.:thumbsup

-Sarge

PHArchivist, the head you have there looks like it might be close to the same size, but it's not the same casting.

- k

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back