Dinosaur Fans! Check THIS Out!

BINGO!!
The head looks fantastic on this thing!! 1000000X better!!
It totally changes the look of this thing.
I will have to leave this as a tease until I can get pics up.

Lynn

Here is the new head.
It is not on correctly and is placed gingerly on one side of the skull in one of the cavities, but it looks pretty damn good to me.

skel1.jpg

skel3.jpg

Skel4.JPG

Lynn

OK i bought one of these and finished it. This is the first model I have built since I was a kid. I used Krylon fusion black satin and then dry brushed autumn gold rub n buff on to it. Here are my pics

2614266887_ee593b6763.jpg

2614263269_c099d17c8d.jpg

2614267687_fd5d053553.jpg

Last edited:
It's better sculpted, better detailed, and better proportioned. The kit supplied head had to have some altered angles and the removal of undercuts so that it could be extracted from the steel mold without being locked into it. There's a whole inner structure of the skull that this new resin one has that just doesn't even get hinted at existing in the kit skull. Also, the teeth on the kit skull just aren't intimidating at all.

Lynn, could you take some side by side comparison photos of the two skulls? I'd like to see exactly how much they differ.

Last edited:
I was at the local Childrens museum recently, and they had a couple Rex skeletons on display that had this freaky, "fireplace grill" looking bone on the bellies of their Rex skeletons.

Is that some new discovery, or is it species specific?

-Sarge

I was at the local Childrens museum recently, and they had a couple Rex skeletons on display that had this freaky, "fireplace grill" looking bone on the bellies of their Rex skeletons.

Is that some new discovery, or is it species specific?

-Sarge

It's the front of the rib cage, and like ours, it's made up of a lot of cartilage, and thus doesnt survive the petrification process very well. As far as I know, only one (maybe two) example of this has been found, and it's very incomplete. So much so, that we're not really sure exactly what it looks like or how it was arranged and attached. For that reason, most museum displays opt to leave that piece off. Heck, it wasn't too long ago we discovered Rexes had a collarbone/wishbone connecting the two shoulder blades.

Yeah, the two arms are just dangling now...

The metal one looks great!

As far as the other skull goes, I'm not that impressed. Could be because of the lack of uniformity in the paint...

Finally picked one of these up yesterday $37AU. There were 5 or 6 left at my local store so I may have to grab another if they have been discontinued.

Think I will look into that Ebay skull as a replacement and I'd like to modify the body structure if at all possible into a running - head swooping low to the ground pose as indicated in some of the museum display photos linked to in this thread. Also be repainting, lot of inspiration from some of the great jobs already shown off here :thumbsup

Mike

Finally picked one of these up yesterday $37AU. There were 5 or 6 left at my local store so I may have to grab another if they have been discontinued.

Mike

Mike, which store was this? A friend was at the Morley store yesterday and said there were 'heaps' at the time he visited.

Cheers,
Martyn

As far as the other skull goes, I'm not that impressed. Could be because of the lack of uniformity in the paint...

Too each his own I guess....
Going from a so so monster looking skull that isn't accurate looking to a representation that is 100X better is a no brainer.
I got the skull on, and I just gotta shoot it.
Lynn

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back