MR Announces Y-Wing Release!

Originally posted by cking@Jan 28 2006, 04:17 PM
so your eye just goes straight to the model and not to what's underneath it.

Thats why I'm going to ditch the base altogether. ;)

I know how exactly how mine will be mounted and displayed... :D I'll give you two guess's where it's going.

[image]http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/uploads/post-209-1137975435.jpeg[/image]

ALA Cking style... sort of.. ;)

Lynn

Tony, you should write a book. No kidding. Your one-page build diary in Starship Modeler is a goldmine of information and technique. :thumbsup

I agree with you that a Death Star tile base would have been a much better way for MR to go (although I think that the turret base was MR's effort to respond to customer input).

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales of your tiles shoot up with the release of the MR Y-Wing. :love

Very inspiring work, man.

Id be dissapointed to open it up coming with the lacklustre paintjob, and the awful base, i think packing it with a nice simple display case would have made the model look much more quality in appearance, but on the flipside, you go price up cases for a model this size ( i need 3 at the moment) its not cheap i can tell you.

Originally posted by Tony@Jan 28 2006, 05:04 PM
I wish I could afford that MR Y-Wing mainly to re-paint it. The flash photography really enhances the weak paint-job they did on that Y-Wing.
As for the base I don't like what they ended up with. A detailed Death Star tile base would have looked way better. Here's what I did a few years ago to some SMT Y-Wings. I kinda of went overboard on the tiles.

In case anyone might be interested Starship Modeler has my pseudo Deathstar tiles at the Starship Modeler Store.
[snapback]1170579[/snapback]​

Thanks for heads up

Originally posted by temponaut@Jan 29 2006, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the sales of your tiles shoot up with the release of the MR Y-Wing.  :love 
[snapback]1170783[/snapback]​

They already have :)

Wuh??

I really liked the original base design. Why the change and why does MR never add a pilot. Its got an R2 unit so why no pilot? Is it flying on autopilot?

MR actually considered using my tiles, but went with the tower base instead. It would have been cool to have seen my work there, but the base that comes with it does not bother me.

It could have been scaled better but oh well.

JDH

I think they probably went with the tower base due to cost. Not so much on production as breakage. Something that large and flat would have a larger chance of getting damaged. I do like the look of it, but I understand the practical issue of doing the tower.
The detailing shots on the blog looked incredible. When it comes to the models, MR really seems to have outdone themselves to create some great replicas. I have some high hopes for this one.

The old base was MUCH better. It almost looks as if the Y-wing is actually moving over the base.

The new one is just horrible....ruins the piece.

I'm sorry but that base is humorous..."Turbo Laser action ON." "watch out. Gold leader" . If you thought you had any credibility collecting this stuff this base just proves you don't. It's needs at least an extra $200 paintjob still.

Originally posted by Rogue Studios@Jan 31 2006, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry but that base is humorous..."turbo laser action" "watch out. Gold leader". If you thought you had any credibility collecting this stuff this base just proves you don't. It's needs at least an extra $200 paintjob still.
[snapback]1172106[/snapback]​

Amen

I think it takes a "ok" looking model and makes it look like a toy. Very unprefessional.....a simple black rod/acrylic rod supporting it is all it needs. Simple, elegant....not super cheesy.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back