Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood Trolley

DorkDaddy

Nothing that hasn't been done before, but when I launched on my own private journey to make the Neighborhood Trolley there didn't seem to be many resources out there for guidance, so I had to figure it out on my own. I'm posting here (MASSIVE imposter syndrome going on right now) so that anyone else looking to go down the same path might find the thread and use my documentation to help avoid all of the missteps I made along the way. Here goes:

I used this reference photo countless times. Print it out. Mark it up. Use it to scale up your measurements to real life:
30530413_10156106168209651_2154970467486662656_n.jpg

The G-Scale Bachman Open Street Car is what you need to get started:
IMG_8633.PNG

IMG_8632.PNG

I used Inkscape to make PDF's of the bench endcaps and a laser cutter at a local maker space to make 'em real:

pdfs.jpg
71407865038__6665E13C-71FC-48B5-BED7-4D0E49E79C2B.jpg

It'll feel a little dirty, but there's an omelet to be made, so break the eggs:

71453428415__C031A9DF-168E-4507-BED8-42EBA208FD49.jpg

You'll need a base for the cabin and some vertical supports. You can see mine were too long at first. Also notice the hand rails individually measured, bent and placed on each vertical support.

endcaps.jpg
IMG_8569.jpg

Painting the bits, obviously:

71850254138__4E542C5A-1636-47D7-ADC5-5A5710CA4DE5.jpg
71858135181__28225B0B-074E-453E-91AE-84FEA3D521B2.jpg

Turns out the whistle on the original trolley was a 1940's-era, Little Orphan Annie, brass slide whistle. Ebay worked out nicely for that. The benches and barrel for the whistle were a simple design on tinkercad:

dogwhistle.png
tinker.jpg

We all know that adrenaline rush when you put all the pieces together in the same place:

IMG_8608.jpg

Over the decades there were dozens of screen-used, "official" Trolleys - each of them had different nuances to their look. The font on the yellow marquis was different every time. That gives you the latitude to take the easy road with some 1/2" vinyl stickers:

IMG_8622.jpg

Final assembly for me was with methyl methacrilate:

71908517268__67D9B73A-BFEA-4551-8426-8D5A1B3B7974.jpg

clamped.jpg

The completed trolley is magical to look at. Of course, as the maker, all I see are its flaws. But I know enough to know that nobody else does:

done.jpg

When you're making something like this, you have to give some thought to how it's going to be displayed. The project wouldn't feel finished for me without this:

track.jpg
finished.jpg

And that's it. Please be gentle. (c:

-Sam

well done, sir! I have this on my workbench right now. I have the Bachmann trolley disassembled and working on the base. Do you have the bench files available to share by chance?

This will be a working model put into operation when my grandson comes to visit. Who am I kidding, I'll be running it while I sit at my desk and work on other not so fun stuff. I'll be putting a point-to-point track up on the wall that will be about 22' long.

I'm also toying with an operational whistle but I'm still noodling on that one.

I have wanted a proper one of these since I was little. Might have to try and follow in your vootshtops to make one of these.

Absolutely stellar work!

well done, sir! I have this on my workbench right now. I have the Bachmann trolley disassembled and working on the base. Do you have the bench files available to share by chance?

This will be a working model put into operation when my grandson comes to visit. Who am I kidding, I'll be running it while I sit at my desk and work on other not so fun stuff. I'll be putting a point-to-point track up on the wall that will be about 22' long.

I'm also toying with an operational whistle but I'm still noodling on that one.
Here you go:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back