MR Announces Y-Wing Release!

Eh... Mixed feelings on the base... Unique, and ool in that respect, but yes sort of toyish and a weird combination...

Regarding the popularity, I like the X better too, but the two sort of go well together -- like coffee and donuts. They're a team and a historic pair. And it has the ever-lasting positive stigma of being an ANH classic ship (see jason's post).

799$ ??????????
Yes Barry, i AM surprised ...

Didn't you say MR would hold the price low because there will be no display case ?
499$ would have been low.

With the ongoing QC-problems this might be a mistake...

Sorry but i will wait and buy it cheap in the aftermarket like i did with the snowspeeder.

Originally posted by Spiker@Jan 28 2006, 06:03 AM
799$ ??????????

Didn't you say MR would hold the price low because there will be no display case ?

With the ongoing QC-problems this might be a mistake...

Sorry but i will wait and buy it cheap in the aftermarket like i did with the snowspeeder.
[snapback]1170287[/snapback]​

I hear ya there.

Too rich for my blood at retail. :cry

Maybe I can afford one from the secondary market later down the road.

Bruce

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@Jan 27 2006, 06:06 PM
When first announced....
[image]http://img.creamedgeezer.com/images/MR%20Ywing4.jpeg[/image]

Now....
[image]http://masterreplicas.com/pub/ywinglarge.jpg[/image]

I like them both....

Lynn
[snapback]1170074[/snapback]​
I like the prototype base - it gives the Y-wing a definite sense of forward flight and vertical distance. However, the laser cannon tower simply makes the ship look static and perched, not to mention the scale is so way off between the two it's not even funny. And if you want to get uber-technical, the Y-wings never flew OVER a tower; the towers followed the ships as they flew above and through the trenches... :unsure

I hope it's not too late to change MR's mind... :angel

- Gabe

I like the prototype base - it gives the Y-wing a definite sense of forward flight and vertical distance. However, the laser cannon tower simply makes the ship look static and perched, not to mention the scale is so way off between the two it's not even funny. And if you want to get uber-technical, the Y-wings never flew OVER a tower; the towers followed the ships as they flew above and through the trenches... ohwell.gif

I hope it's not too late to change MR's mind... innocent.gif

- Gabe

Agreed. Now, I'm not a Rebel Scum fan, but the first base is WAY better. I wonder why MR changed the design so drasticlly. Like Gabe said, the scale of ship to tower is rediculous. This first base is more realistic and more to scale.

MR is going through a bit if a rough time right now with the Vader lids. Now with such a major concept change, this item will not do as well as MR thought. I'd be suprised. I mean, with the AT-AT Ver.2, they added Luke's snowpseeder, and that was to scale of the ATAT.

Why such a drastic change Master Replicas????

Sorry, that new base is just bugging the heck out of me. :eek:

VFF

I remember people complaining when the prototype base was shown that there should be laser cannons on the base, obviously MR listened but took the concept too far. :D

After reading a few months ago that everyone will be surprised about the affordable price, I indeed am realy surprised to see this now. I believe they won´t even make any money with it, selling it at such an incredible low price :D

Maybe creating the new base alone cost about 300$ :lol So, what about a version without this base for 500$ :p

Now I wonder more than ever how much the Falcon will be :unsure

I remember a few threads where people complained that the prototype base lacked a turbolaser canon and it looks like MR listened.
Regardless of recent QC helmet issues, I can really see how they're in a no-win situation on a lot of these boards.

Originally posted by arkangel@Jan 28 2006, 11:55 AM
I remember a few threads where people complained that the prototype base lacked a turbolaser canon and it looks like MR listened.
Regardless of recent QC helmet issues, I can really see how they're in a no-win situation on a lot of these boards.
[snapback]1170376[/snapback]​

It's more accurate to say they are in a no-win situation with these quality control issues. They had better tighten up or this sort of thing will honestly hurt their profits. I just spoke with my own MR dealer and I asked him to open Vader helmets until he found me an undamaged one. It took 6 tries folks. That is absolutely ridiculous. Will every product made by MR's overseas factories suffer the same fate as these latest offerings? I hope they pull it together soon or else the replacement costs will eat them up.

Dave :(

Edit: PS I'd like the base better if it were either : 1. No mirror and the base were deathstar surface detail, or 2. Mirror with a clear cradle like the rest of the MR pieces. The mixture kinda looks distracting from the main prop rep, IMHO.

Well, the new base design is a real letdown for me (and I have to admit the price as well, perhaps I was a little bit naive) , but I´m not to sure about it being a mirror, perhaps it´s glossy black like the bases for the Sideshow figures. But I think it´s too small. It should have almost the size of the ship.

And an other thing MR go and get a EU warehouse so that EU customers can get the stuff using a coupon and don´t have to pay absurd shipping fees.

Domenik

That certainly is a gorgeous model. Is the price tag justified though? This is an honest question from someone who doesn't really buy these kinds of models. $800 seems steep to me. What would you figure the profit margin is on a model like this?

the new base is just BAD , it does not lend itself well to the whole look.

the old base had a sense of speed and purpose...like it was going somewhere.

the new one looks like the cleaning lady had a go designing it.

until she had to leave to feed her guide dog.

800bucks......i'll have 2 please :D

I actually don't mind the new base, though my preference, displayed with the Icons X-Wing & Tie, would be more death star surface.

Originally posted by Spiker@Jan 28 2006, 05:03 AM
799$ ??????????

A thing to remember guys on the price...
The V1 AT-AT was a MSRP of what, $1100-1200 with a case??
That price was with a case and not too many people bitched about the price and it sold rather well.

If the AT-AT V1 was offered without the case I'm sure it would have been in the MSRP of $799 range just like the Y-wing is now without a case.

So yes, MR did exactly what they said and made it more affordable then it's previous SS model offerings as it could have been easily $1000-1100 with a case.

Go and buy a case on your own to cover that and see what it costs you.

Something to put the price into perspective...

So think about it before complaining about the price.

Lynn

I looked all over the MR website last night and didn't find a thing about the Y-Wing.

Seeing the new photo for the first time, I do have to admit that the base doesn't look all that great.

If it's a matter of cost, why not eliminate the Death Star base all together and replace it with a plain, mirrored base?

Originally posted by Corellianexports@Jan 28 2006, 04:14 PM
I looked all over the MR website last night and didn't find a thing about the Y-Wing.

[snapback]1170546[/snapback]​

You have to click on the MR blog on the front page as already mentioned, it is not in the SS model section.

Lynn

Hmmm. If I get one of these, I think I'll get a simple base made for it and put a Death Star trench wall backdrop behind it instead. The nice thing about the ILM miniatures which have been displayed at the various exhibitions is the fact that they are simply displayed on a rod with a plain base - so your eye just goes straight to the model and not to what's underneath it.

I think the problem with this base is the fact that the Y-Wing is just too close to the top of the turret.

Chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back