Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Post-release)

In the movie I thought Gamora and the large gun was almost too cheesy...

Seeing it in the trailer above, set to the music, it seems bad ass and the best part...

TRAILERS ARE LIES!

Just saw it. It definitely wasn't as good as the first one. It didn't seem to have the charm.

Things I liked:

Baby Groot (duh). I was afraid he would be over done, but he was very well played. And adorable.

Rocket. He was a great trash panda of a jerk.

Gamora. Great character, great character building. Mostly with;

Nebula. Great character expansion from basicly nothing to really interesting.

Drax and Mantis. They were hilarious together.

Sean Gunns character. I really liked him. Very well played dorky, sensitive, ruffian.

Things I didn't like:

Peter Quill. Something was just lacking in his character. Which is really disappointing, cause I love him in the first one. He just seemed boring for most of it.

Ego. Just didn't jive with me. The acting was great, but the whole thing just... I don't know.

The amount of over the top violence for extended periods of time. It just seemed stupid, and gave the feeling that they needed filler for the movie. I'm mostly talking about the scene where they take over the ship. It's just too too long and drawn out.

Basically I really liked it up until Peter/Gamora/Drax get to egos planet, and then the yondu/rocket/groot part (minus filler violence scene)until they get to egos planet.

However, the second of I think all the MCU series' have been my least favorite, so I hope this follows that trend and the third one is better!

Speaking of the third one, will it be called, "Guardians of the Galaxy: Zune"?

Last edited:
I thought the film was great, but I felt a bit distracted by baby Groot at times. He felt toony in the beginning. Maybe it's knowing he wasn't practical that kept it in my brain that what I was seeing wasn't as real deal looking as the first film larger Groot.

For me, the first film intro with Quill dancing was the perfect setup and was much more low-tech feeling and simple. I felt like GoTG2 was MASSIVELY amped up in things happening on screen at once. At times got to be a bit overwhelming and was just a lot thrown in my face.

It was a very fun movie and definitely loved it. Those were my gripes, but it was another great Marvel film and can't wait for Vol. 3 and Infinity War.

The amount of over the top violence for extended periods of time. It just seemed stupid, and gave the feeling that they needed filler for the movie. I'm mostly talking about the scene where they take over the ship. It's just too too long and drawn out.

i thought this was one of the most fun parts of the film!

i thought this was one of the most fun parts of the film!

I wouldn't mind it if it were shorter. Keep it exactly the same until they get to the control room, but cut it by about half from there. I thought the thing where they used the camera monitors was clever, but it was just way too long.

I thought the beginning was a little slow, with the Missouri scene cutting to the Guardians just standing around waiting. Would have preferred something more dynamic, like the tentacle creature already latched onto the platform feeding, with the team approaching in The Milano and then enacting their plan, or honestly cut straight from Ego and Meredith to a shot of clearly battle worn Guardians standing in front of Ayesha, job completed. I didn't think dancing Groot felt as organic as Peter's dancing in the opener of the first one. I also would have liked to see them take a different path with the Ego/Peter fight, instead of the usual Dragon Ball Z/MoS slug fest. Blowing up Ego's brain seemed a little "easy" from a story perspective, and I thought it would have been a more emotional/smarter thing to do by leaving him trapped in human form alone on his planet, the thing he hated most. Have the final battle be about cutting his physical form off from the celestial entity, and then leaving him powerless on the world he built himself.

I thought the beginning was a little slow, with the Missouri scene cutting to the Guardians just standing around waiting. Would have preferred something more dynamic, like the tentacle creature already latched onto the platform feeding, with the team approaching in The Milano and then enacting their plan, or honestly cut straight from Ego and Meredith to a shot of clearly battle worn Guardians standing in front of Ayesha, job completed. I didn't think dancing Groot felt as organic as Peter's dancing in the opener of the first one. I also would have liked to see them take a different path with the Ego/Peter fight, instead of the usual Dragon Ball Z/MoS slug fest. Blowing up Ego's brain seemed a little "easy" from a story perspective, and I thought it would have been a more emotional/smarter thing to do by leaving him trapped in human form alone on his planet, the thing he hated most. Have the final battle be about cutting his physical form off from the celestial entity, and then leaving him powerless on the world he built himself.
Man and I thought I was being nit picky with my CGI comments. Having Ego be destroyed closes his arc, and he gets what he deserves, he was so arrogant that he thought his plan couldnt fail, and that he was the only life in the galaxy for millions of years. Having him die not only closes his arc, but he pays for his crimes by dying. If he didnt die, all the badass stuff the guardians did to him wouldnt have mattered. Its like if Vader didnt die at the end of ROTJ, it wouldnt have worked. Especially if there is going to be a third one.

Ha sorry I didn't mean to come across as totally nit picky, these were just the things that stuck out to me when I watched it. Most of the rest of the movie balanced it out, and I understand where you're coming from about the closure. I definitely thought the movie was good but for me wasn't the strongest follow up to the first (which I loved)

Ha sorry I didn't mean to come across as totally nit picky, these were just the things that stuck out to me when I watched it. Most of the rest of the movie balanced it out, and I understand where you're coming from about the closure. I definitely thought the movie was good but for me wasn't the strongest follow up to the first (which I loved)
Its all good, I hope I didnt come off as being a jerk with my first sentence. Didnt mean to if I did. I understand where youre coming from, but making a sequel that evokes the same, if not more feelings than the first has to be a monumental task. I felt this one, for me at least, was a lot more emotional than the first. I loved the tone of the first one, but I also liked the tone of this one as well. Im seeing it again tomorrow. One part that cracks me up every time though is the mary poppins quote. Im laughing just thinking about it! :lol

One part that cracks me up every time though is the mary poppins quote. Im laughing just thinking about it! [emoji38]

What was also fantastic about that exchange, was the crack in the armor it showed, from Yondu. He just wanted to make sure Peter thought he was cool.

Cheesy as it would be, I don't think there's a character I'd ever be happier to see be resurrected, even fully realizing what a cop-out it would be. Rooker was just that good in this movie.

I thought a great moment they executed well was the amount of hatred that immediately came over Peter when

SPOILERS AHEAD......

After all this time Peter finally sort of connecting with his Dad finally and it not making sense why he left her and then dropping the major bombshell that he planted the Tumor in her Mom's head and how, like a light switch, Peter immediately turned on him and begin blasting the crap out of him. It showed how much pain he had from that memory and finding out it being his own Father being the reason for her ultimate demise was so devastating and cold.

I wonder, how does Peter know so much about every artists on his tapes, particularly Vol 2, considering he didnt have that one as a child? For that matter, how would he even know what the artists names are? I doubt he knew EVERY artist at the time he left Earth.

It implies that he still has been digging into Earth data at some point after the fact.

I really wish some of the more rockin songs in the end credits had been in the film itself. Nearly all of the ones during the film are a bit on the folky side.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back